Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me too, as I think it has a chance, more than any other storm so far this season/year. I may post something here later today.

:o

It looks strung out and it still swinging out to sea and THEN getting it's act together...but I don't think we want an overly strong system if we just want to see some flakes. I'm cool with a 1 to 3 incher. Somebody take the slow ball....

Sure does look like our best shot so far would be the Dec 29. Something is better the nothing and I will take it. Still many days away and some many things could change. I have to say the Mid-Atlantic has been waiting on the agressive side for a hot minute to get snow.

:o

It looks strung out and it still swinging out to sea and THEN getting it's act together...but I don't think we want an overly strong system if we just want to see some flakes. I'm cool with a 1 to 3 incher. Somebody take the slow ball....

I think weak is better in this case. A certainly don't want any phasing and a stronger northern stream. We also need the Boxing day low to hang around mear maine as long as it can to keep the wave suppressed especially at this time range.

You guys this is the mid-Atlantic and we tend to get the Bah Humbug. I am conservative in times like this especially with the consistent let downs. I know you can get snow in the transition stage it's just the constant let downs let me to believe Bs unless its real immanent.

Today's 132 hr GEFS ensemble mean 500h pattern is not a bad one for the Dce 30th event. That doesn't mean it;s a lock to occur and that we will be snow rather than rain as there is still time for things to change and for a stronger low to track towards KY. Howevr, this particular mean would support a low squeezing to our south. I like the map because it shows how you can have a very positive NAO but still have a weakly negative AO and have blocking a decent place to get a storm to track to our south. On the map note there is a nice vortex near the maritimes south of an area above normal heights and that there is still quite a big of red above normal heights over the higher latitudes giving the AO a slightly negative look. However, also look at where I've drawn the magenta line from iceland down towards the azores. The heights over Iceland are lower than normal while higher than normal heights are located towards the azores. That's a pretty strongly positive NAO index look.

However, in this case the high heights over eastern Canada and the below normal heights over the Maritimes with the remains of the old Boxing day storm provide the block. I've also annotated where the likely locations of jet streaks would be located (the arrow). Having the upper low near the Maritimes places confluence to our north and also places the right entrance region a a jet streak in close enough proximity to interact with a jet steak from the shortwave approaching the east coast. Such a double jet streak structure is a good one if you want a storm to develop along the east coast. If you look at the right hand panel you can see quite a bit a variation in how the Maritimes low is handled. That feature will play a big role in how suppressed out dec 29/30 low ends up. if the low moves too quickly east the surface low could still take a track similar to the boxing day storm. If it stays as the mean is forecasting, we have a chance for snow. ANyway, it's an interesting set up.

post-70-0-00659300-1356372754_thumb.png

Today's 132 hr GEFS ensemble mean 500h pattern is not a bad one for the Dce 30th event. That doesn't mean it;s a lock to occur and that we will be snow rather than rain as there is still time for things to change and for a stronger low to track towards KY. Howevr, this particular mean would support a low squeezing to our south. I like the map because it shows how you can have a very positive NAO but still have a weakly negative AO and have blocking a decent place to get a storm to track to our south. On the map note there is a nice vortex near the maritimes south of an area above normal heights and that there is still quite a big of red above normal heights over the higher latitudes giving the AO a slightly negative look. However, also look at where I've drawn the magenta line from iceland down towards the azores. The heights over Iceland are lower than normal while higher than normal heights are located towards the azores. That's a pretty strongly negative NAO index look.

However, in this case the high heights over eastern Canada and the below normal heights over the Maritimes with the remains of the old Boxing day storm provide the block. I've also annotated where the likely locations of jet streaks would be located (the arrow). Having the upper low near the Maritimes places confluence to our north and also places the right entrance region a a jet streak in close enough proximity to interact with a jet steak from the shortwave approaching the east coast. Such a double jet streak structure is a good one if you want a storm to develop along the east coast. If you look at the right hand panel you can see quite a bit a variation in how the Maritimes low is handled. That feature will play a big role in how suppressed out dec 29/30 low ends up. if the low moves too quickly east the surface low could still take a track similar to the boxing day storm. If it stays as the mean is forecasting, we have a chance for snow. ANyway, it's an interesting set up.

post-70-0-00659300-1356372754_thumb.png

Thanks for the writeup...I think you mean +NAO in the bolded

Archived