• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

Matthew East said the same in his blog this morning; no real cold no real warmth. This thread is dying a bit and probably rightly so. No wintry pattern change for several weeks it seems.

http://mattheweast.blogspot.com/

East said the trough looks to diminsh if not vanish all together by the end of December. We need that to happen before we have a chance of seeing any snow here. I just hope the -NAO stays around long enough into January and doesn't go positive after the trough gets out of the way.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Van Denton ,at FOX8,last night was talking abuout around mid Dec the cold may be coming .He also spoke of all the cold building in Canada would be coming down soon.

Trends are encouraging. Check out the 240 panel on the 12z form yesterday and 0z from last night: The Cold building up in Canada is gonna be impressive.

12z Wed Run/Euro

12zeuro850mbTSLPUS240.gif

0Z Run last night/ Euro

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS240.gif

Allan Huffman is giving a glimmer of hope and reminds us that just last week it looked like a cold pattern was locked in for the East in December, only to flip this week. So maybe it will flip just as quickly in the 2nd half of December.

http://www.examiner.com/article/raleigh-10-day-weather-forecast-and-national-weather-discussion-1?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Allan Huffman is giving a glimmer of hope and reminds us that just last week it looked like a cold pattern was locked in for the East in December, only to flip this week. So maybe it will flip just as quickly in the 2nd half of December.

http://www.examiner.com/article/raleigh-10-day-weather-forecast-and-national-weather-discussion-1?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Meanwhile, it's still cold outside.

The 12z isn't condusive to great joy in mby. Meteostar can't find an 850 colder than +2, and the most rain offered within the "remotely possible" time frame is .02 :) Of course at the goofy end we get covered up with storm after storm, but the only thing I see that is believable is the weak front dragging through, and washing out, near mid week like the one we just got. Of course that one dropped rain here in tenths, not hundredths, so I'll take it, should it verify.

I sure would love to see an active southern stream in a split flow show up soon. I don't even worry about a phase in Dec. I want the gulf rain at this point! I'm happy to leave the phase for Jan. when climo says maybe, and doesn't just laugh, down here, anyway :) Not discounting the remarkable Cold Rain Xmas, of course..which by the way, now the ice is broken, I see becoming a more frequent occurance....at least I don't think Atl/Griffin will have to wait another 150 years, lol. Tony

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can someone explain why Feb ( and even March ) seem to be snowier in the south than Dec??? I ask this because in many areas, including Atlanta, Dec and Jan are the two coldest months on average, so it would make sense to me that those two months would also give us the best chances for snow.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can someone explain why Feb ( and even March ) seem to be snowier in the south than Dec??? I ask this because in many areas, including Atlanta, Dec and Jan are the two coldest months on average, so it would make sense to me that those two months would also give us the best chances for snow.

I was unaware that December averaged colder than February for GSP. In fact, I thought Jan/Feb held that honor.

My best guesses

1) Upper atmosphere may actually average colder in Feb. than Dec. and colder in Mar. vs. Nov....a lag of sorts...If any met. knows, I'd like to see a reply from him about this. I was under the impression that Feb. is actually the coldest in the upper atmosphere. Avg. storm track may be furthest south in Feb. as a result. Dec. is, indeed, slightly colder at the surface than Feb. in many SE locations including KATL.

2) Feb. a bit wetter than Dec. Mar. much wetter than Nov. liquid precipwise.

To illustrate snowstorm's point, here are the # of major (3.5"+) S and/or IP storms by month since 1879 at KATL (about one every four years):

Nov.: 0

Dec.: 4 (last one in 1917!! KATL is sooooo overdue for a Dec. major S/IP..it has been 95 years!)

Jan.: 14

Feb.: 11

Mar.: 6

Yeah, models definitely sniffing out some sort of change in the Dec 8-10 onward time period. I got into it and showed quite a few charts in today's video/ discussion....it's on the blog linked below.

6z GFS is rather fun-looking later on.... but it's obviously still out in fantasyland.

post-38-0-16714400-1354282332.gif

I think Tarheel is referencing that fact that both you and Bastardi have been harping on a pattern change or at least moving to a more favorable pattern by the mid to end of December. I'm on the train for sure just waiting for it to leave the station!

Good to see you posting on here Robert, thanks as always for all your valuable information but here and on your site!

I think Tarheel is referencing that fact that both you and Bastardi have been harping on a pattern change or at least moving to a more favorable pattern by the mid to end of December. I'm on the train for sure just waiting for it to leave the station!

Good to see you posting on here Robert, thanks as always for all your valuable information but here and on your site!

Apparently the other 98.99% also forecasting pretty much the same end result - a colder/snowier SE winter - were forgotten.

And now the Euro ensemble mean

http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH240.gif

And the Euro weeklies come in to throw a wet blanket on the "pattern change"...there is not much of any belows in the east on Week 3 and 4...there is not much support for much in the way of Greenland blocking. Not a forecast...but an interesting change to be watched for consistency....

Archived