• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord .... The doom and gloom about december is funny

Even if the winter were to somehow be wall to wall warm, the doom and gloom would be funny only because it is taken so seriously. It wouldn't be the end of the world. We somehow survived last winter.

Keep in mind that I do enjoy cold and any wintry precip. that winter just so happens to bring. However, without it, life still goes on even if we don't get what we'd prefer.

Drought and warm temps are really not that exciting. Ok its dry and warm wooo! wink.png

A pattern change to 60+ degree weather will feel nice though this time of year! Plenty of time for a miserably dry cold winter...

May need to change the title of the thread to... A change to a wintry pattern emerging after Christmas? Don't think there is anyone else left to cliff dive...or do we think the pattern will change before Christmas?

as an aside, I blame this pattern on Accuweather, who as I recall predicted a cold and wet winter. Right on cue, the first part of winter is shaping up to be warm and dry. wink.png

Well to be fair they were one of the few to predict little to no frozen precip for NC last winter...that's why I brought them up this winter. Their maps are on google images for those interested...for the past and present if your looking for a quick search.

Brad Panovich posted this for Charlotte but is probably true for most of the SE....obviously Jan/Feb are our banner months and I don't think anyone is arguing against that. I thought the main purpose of this thread was simply to talk about when we kick off winter from a weenie's perspective if you will with the first threat of real cold and possible moisture to go with it. I'll keep checking this thread daily and SV despite the GFS/Euro advertising some warm temps in the mid range....hopefully the LR GFS is seeing something and it flips...if not well we've already lived through the winter of 2011/12.

IqxvT.jpg

Somebody post the 324 Hour 12Z GFS and let's get back to Winter here! Snowman.gif This thread has become depressing.

The 12Z GFS, days 9-16, looks like a typical SE December pattern. Cold chasing precip, warm up, and then back to dry/cool/cold. But even for general pattern setups, I don't trust the models past day 7. So looking at (only) day 7 it looks like a good setup for cold to invade the SE.

The 12Z GFS, days 9-16, looks like a typical SE December pattern. Cold chasing precip, warm up, and then back to dry/cool/cold. But even for general pattern setups, I don't trust the models past day 7. So looking at (only) day 7 it looks like a good setup for cold to invade the SE.

Verbatim, you don't see snow. But if you look north, you find a very nice positioning of some key upper air features...+PNA, -NAO block, blocking over northwestern Canada, the GOA trough/vortex is gone, etc. I don't care about individual storms at the 324 hour range, and I hardly care about upper air patterns at that range (only because this is a fantasy land-time frame thread). But if IF the upper air features are correct, then we're in business! At the very least, it's miles better than what we've been seeing lately. Besides, I'm sure it'll change by next run anyway. :)

Also,

^^Thanks, Burger

Brad Panovich posted this for Charlotte but is probably true for most of the SE....obviously Jan/Feb are our banner months and I don't think anyone is arguing against that. I thought the main purpose of this thread was simply to talk about when we kick off winter from a weenie's perspective if you will with the first threat of real cold and possible moisture to go with it. I'll keep checking this thread daily and SV despite the GFS/Euro advertising some warm temps in the mid range....hopefully the LR GFS is seeing something and it flips...if not well we've already lived through the winter of 2011/12.

IqxvT.jpg

I'll take a snowstorm whenever I can get one but when looking at your chart it looks lile Feb it our best month for snow.There's still hope for this winter.

I think there's a consensus now that through Mid December is going to be mild because of the pacific flow. That seems to be the issue we need to key on for a pattern change, since we generally have the negative NAO already. What do we need to look for in the models to get the pacific to shift to a -EPO?

Verbatim, you don't see snow. But if you look north, you find a very nice positioning of some key upper air features...+PNA, -NAO block, blocking over northwestern Canada, the GOA trough/vortex is gone, etc. I don't care about individual storms at the 324 hour range, and I hardly care about upper air patterns at that range (only because this is a fantasy land-time frame thread). But if IF the upper air features are correct, then we're in business! At the very least, it's miles better than what we've been seeing lately. Besides, I'm sure it'll change by next run anyway. smile.png

Also,

^^Thanks, Burger

I totally agree, I just want to see those indices closer in date; which we do at day day 7.

Look on the bright side, soon you'll be able to play basketball during lunch. smile.png

I won't even be able to do that anymore because my office is moving. So, there's no point anymore for me to want a warm winter. I'd rather it snow a foot and just stay home. But it looks like we won't be seeing any in December. And the longer we wait for it, I feel the less and less we have a chance of seeing any this winter.

I won't even be able to do that anymore because my office is moving. So, there's no point anymore for me to want a warm winter. I'd rather it snow a foot and just stay home. But it looks like we won't be seeing any in December. And the longer we wait for it, I feel the less and less we have a chance of seeing any this winter.

Thanks Weirdmann.

I see that Brick's end of year Weenie of the Year campaigning is off to a fantastic start! He's the very best at what he does and other prospective WOTY's should take notes on Brick's methodology. Brick has made it to so many finals that I've now lost count.

On behalf of the entire SE American wx bb community, thanks for all that you do for us! You are our brick and morter and are appreciated so much for that!

I see that Brick's end of year Weenie of the Year campaigning is off to a fantastic start! He's the very best at what he does and other prospective WOTY's should take notes on Brick's methodology. Brick has made it to so many finals that I've now lost count.

On behalf of the entire SE American wx bb community, thanks for all that you do for us! You are our brick and morter and are appreciated so much for that!

He needs to quit screwing around in the finals and win the thing for a change. "Almost" is the difference between snow and cold rain. It's just not good enough!

Archived