• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://raleighwx.ame...mbHGHTNH240.gif

Gulf of Alaska trough is gone. Winter is still alive, maybe this will stop a few weenies from cliff Diving before Dec 1?

I'm probably wrong but that doesn't look like it's got a -NAO signature to it. I don't see any Greenland blocking (I see a ridge but it's WAY east of Greenland. Is that west/versus east based -NAO?).

Jury is still out for the winter (January and February), I'll drop back and punt until mid December and I'll regroup to see what's going on. It is discouraging though how familar this thread is to last year...seeing the pattern change JUST over the horizon but it never actually comes. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

I'm probably wrong but that doesn't look like it's got a -NAO signature to it. I don't see any Greenland blocking (I see a ridge but it's WAY east of Greenland. Is that west/versus east based -NAO?).

Jury is still out for the winter (January and February), I'll drop back and punt until mid December and I'll regroup to see what's going on. It is discouraging though how familar this thread is to last year...seeing the pattern change JUST over the horizon but it never actually comes. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

That is what I'm afraid of. Seems like we're going through the same thing now as we did last winter. I guess things look better now because we have seen the -NAO and the summer and fall have been cooler than last year. But then that makes me worry if the warm up is going to take place in winter and we lose the -NAO the further along we get.

Dec 10 timeframe still looking good. Hopefully our -NAO will return. The overall "blocky" picture across the globe is encouraging.

The snow pack being laid in Canada will bode well for future arctic invasions. Next up is the northern plains, I would real like to see next weeks cutter "bomb out" in eastern Canada to pump the Greenland ridge. The good news is the AO is still modeled to stay in the tank. Unlike last year

Normal around these parts is not "wintry," and since that is the word used in the title of this thread, that is the subject we are talking about.

If we want to get technical - as seems to be the case - it reads "after November". That's still true. It's always true. Just not in December (at least early December). But now were just getting into semantics. And it may be true that the big "Winter Outlooks" published a month or two ago have fed the beast of expectation. But I don't recall any of them defining a "ready set go" date (I suppose most presumed it to coincide with meteorological winter months - that would at least explain some of the edginess).

as an aside, I blame this pattern on Accuweather, who as I recall predicted a cold and wet winter. Right on cue, the first part of winter is shaping up to be warm and dry. wink.png

...in continuation...It has been dry. But lately more "warm" forecasts have concluded in "cooler" than called temps. You may be absolutely correct. For me however, recent weeks of history have been a worthy judge.

That is what I'm afraid of. Seems like we're going through the same thing now as we did last winter. I guess things look better now because we have seen the -NAO and the summer and fall have been cooler than last year. But then that makes me worry if the warm up is going to take place in winter and we lose the -NAO the further along we get.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/00zggemensindices.html

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/00zecmwfensindices.html

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/12zensindices.html

Hey at least there is some hope. Anything would be better than last winter and I do agree, we are only in the end of Nov. I've lived in the N.C. Mtns. my whole life and its usually after Christmas when we have our snow events other than a few very nice Christmas storms. Lets hang in there its way to early to do a belly flop off the cliff.

Well, I guess that's the good thing about the long range forecasts. They change from day to day.

Quotes like this make you our forums Karl Pilkington.

What Allan actually said for those who don't feel like clicking the link is that there is a lot of uncertainty. The 6z GFS Ens went positive on the AO/NAO in the LR he seems to feel that the switch to cold won't happen till probably after the 9th.

Weenies should avoid the 18z (it is the 18z GFS after all) the pattern looks good and it's actually a sort of fantasy storm...for parts of the SE...hello MS, AL, and LA!

C9IP3.gif

One thing I like about this map even though it is LR that the Northern tier fo the country has a good snow pack and that will be key going down the road as that will act like a freezer up there so that we can get some good pushes of cold air coming down and staying.

I'd keep an eye on the initial trough swinging through the US by this time next week. If this continues to trend stronger and really begins to wrap it all up over SE Canada, that'll be the way to pull in the ridge over Greenland( -NAO) right as the ridge over the west coast begins to move in.

MQpat.gif

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

First 19 days of December 2012 will see ups and downs. In case you missed the weather reports earlier this evening or at 10:30 tonight......It appears December will start mild in NC and transition to cooler the 2nd week and then Much Colder the end of the 2nd week into week 3. IF we get any precip that week, it appears today that it would be cold enough to think about snow. That is the way it looks today...this could change with new model runs.

558874_502716499761399_238404412_n.jpg

Archived