• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since all eyes are on the pacific now, here is the 12z comparing all models. AO and NAO stay in the negative throughout, Goofy spikes the PNA in about 10+ days. looks like 12/5 going forward before we can even entertain a SE conducive pattern flip.

http://raleighwx.ame...linegraphs.html

Notice that the Euro is neutral-bad. The GFS is the outlier here.

CFS is a torch for December, looks cold for Jan and than warm for Feb. It was pretty good last year. The Pacific is going to ruin December, lets hope it doesn't kill Jan too. It's a shame too, the AO/NAO look like they are going to cooperate this winter.

The CFS showed a torch for November as well, that's obviously not what happened. Although it could be right this time.

CFS is a torch for December, looks cold for Jan and than warm for Feb. It was pretty good last year. The Pacific is going to ruin December, lets hope it doesn't kill Jan too. It's a shame too, the AO/NAO look like they are going to cooperate this winter.

Um, it's not December yet. We cannot justify writing off the entire month.

Um, it's not December yet. We cannot justify writing off the entire month.

I am not writing off December, although from everything I read I am betting it's warmer than people are expecting. It's not just the CFS showing warmth, we need a -EPO/+PNA, I know people say we can get cold without this, hopefully they are right. It almost never snows in December in central NC so I just hope the pattern is good in Jan, as the CFS is currently showing, the -NAO/-AO is very encouraging, so actually I am relatively positive about this winter.

I saw that...not really encouraging, if that dramatic of cooling takes place that would not be good. Hopefully it's wrong. Curious on why CFS shows January so cold.

Pretty much explains their temp and precip maps... almost textbook La Nina. But the ENSO forecast I posted is only between neutral and -0.5. It's still quite a sharp drop IMO.

CFS playing up a La Nina-ish temp spread in their forecasts. Their low skill areas are widespread beyond Dec.

syGD7.gif

Winter will be much like last winter if that verifies. Looks iffy to me with that sharp drop, but would explain the pattern developing over Alaska. Also, that spells trouble for next summer...another hot summer on tap - especially early. Like groundhog day. How many triple dip Ninas have we had?

It isway to early to right off any month. Might be some need for caution but look the Average for Asheville in the mountains is still 55 degrees. It is only November 25 and the models have been swinging one way then the other. Lets get into the middle of December and see how the pattern has evolved. Yes we will have some warm ups and above average temps but we usually do not start seeing real good chances of snow until the middle to the end of December even in the mountains.

According to the map JB posted the December torch turns into a block of ice come Dec 20th

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/272900455569432576/photo/1

A8mJhLmCIAAUJgg.jpg

Well, a mid Dec pattern change (a favorable one for us, obviously) would be ideal I suppose for climatology's sake. I seriously doubt that Nino 3.4 is going to go fully neg during DJF. This dry pattern that's been in place for the past several weeks needs to break soon, however.

That big storm, as you'd assume, forms the new 50/50 low (or even a PV) and begins pumping the ridge back into Greenland. All starts with the return of the +PNA. Were it not for the big -EPO trough off the west coast right now, we'd be set.

uttML.gif

Yes, the models have teased us already with a cold pattern beginning for early Dec with an oversized -NAO but that's been scaled back as the -EPO in the Pacific appears to be winning out for the next week or so. It does appear to break soon after but we will see, as always.

And ECMWF....

@RyanMaue: Extended range ECMWF ensemble mean shows major early-December warmth on the way for Lower-48. http://pic.twitter.com/Wi0P12xj

Yep 12z ens mean at 204hr, whatever that's worth...looks like Maue thinks it's worth quite a bit with the "on the way" wording...I'll be up for the 0z op run but not because I really care, but because I'm studying for a final tomorrow so why not!

That big storm, as you'd assume, forms the new 50/50 low (or even a PV) and begins pumping the ridge back into Greenland. All starts with the return of the +PNA. Were it not for the big -EPO trough off the west coast right now, we'd be set.

Wow,

Do you mean +EPO trough off west coast instead of -EPO?

And ECMWF....

@RyanMaue: Extended range ECMWF ensemble mean shows major early-December warmth on the way for Lower-48. http://pic.twitter.com/Wi0P12xj

LOL...we are in the 70's starting next Sun/Mon per the Euro and it lasts through the run. Major torch to start December. Need to get the sprinklers and lawn mowers out again. Oh yeah and we are bone dry, quite a dry stretch we are in.

Archived