• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

GFS is really ugly in the LR, no blocking, huge SE ridge, WC trough.

Well that won't happen. Forget the GFS LR until it gets a handle on the pattern we're about to dive into. Huge SE ridge and WC trough? What the....what other models have that in the LR? I'm pretty sure the GGEM looks like the Euro as well. Any other LR model buying into this east coast heat wave?

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, not even close, we haven't been above average since 2004, nobody else can say that. Jan 10, 2011 event was the icing on the cake.

Again, that's what's so discouraging to me...it took the best set up we could have it seems from 09-11 to yield average results for many (including CLT). I fear unless we don't get another extraordinary setup, we're not going to get much. Thus I'm really interested in the pattern right now. However it seems like there's so many mixed signals, we have to just wait and see.

Man 2004 was great though wasn't it? I wonder what the setup for that was....-NAO, +PNA, etc?

Again, that's what's so discouraging to me...it took the best set up we could have it seems from 09-11 to yield average results for many (including CLT). I fear unless we don't get another extraordinary setup, we're not going to get much. Thus I'm really interested in the pattern right now. However it seems like there's so many mixed signals, we have to just wait and see.

Man 2004 was great though wasn't it? I wonder what the setup for that was....-NAO, +PNA, etc?

It was perfect...+PDO, -AO, +PNA, -NAO. The PNA was postive for nearly all of Jan/Feb. We won't have that this winter. We have to hope to get a 7-10 day pattern to setup and hopefully get lucky this winter. It's going to be tough to get a big storm without a favorable pacific, which will be difficult.

The models, as you'd expect, are quite variable beyond D+7.. but model verbatim, if the 50/50 low can firm up and pull the NAO block back west, that'll lock in the below norm temps for the east and keep any progression of the western ridge from moving east.

vMD90.gif

Euro blowtorches the western 2/3 of the country.. and coming east.. 50/50 low fails to get fully established beyond the initial setup. Close but no cigar. The overall direction here is good, though.

Which probably isn't a bad thing, would hate to waste a good setup in early Dec, be nice is it tried again mid/late Dec.

It was perfect...+PDO, -AO, +PNA, -NAO. The PNA was postive for nearly all of Jan/Feb. We won't have that this winter. We have to hope to get a 7-10 day pattern to setup and hopefully get lucky this winter. It's going to be tough to get a big storm without a favorable pacific, which will be difficult.

Thanks! Again, learing here...what are we looking for in regard to the pacific? Is that what the PDO is all about?

Are all these telleconnections so ridged that they really can't line up like 2004 at all this year? In other words I wonder if the NAO/AO cooperates, why is it so unlikely that the PDO won't?

Check that I think you're saying it may line up in a 7 day period; it won't be favorable all year. Gotcha. Man, all these telleconnections is like playing yahtzee trying to get everything to line up right.

Euro blowtorches the western 2/3 of the country.. and coming east.. 50/50 low fails to get fully established beyond the initial setup. Close but no cigar. The overall direction here is good, though.

Agreed. As stated several times already, we did not see any hopeful direction like this from around mid February 2011 to end of April-ish 2012 (resulting in one of the most abysmal winters ever to disgrace the SE). I am comfortable with this "dress rehearsal" per se.

I'll take it whenever we can get it. I don't want to have to keep waiting for the next 10 days. I know it's early, but last winter everyone was saying it's coming later and it never came.

That's what she said. Sorry - old habits and all...

I very roughly estimate that KATL, on average, gets 0.75" of liquid equivalent that falls as S, IP, or ZR in Dec-Mar. I roughly estimate that half of that is ZR. The median for total DJFM wintry precip, is probably more like 0.40" (because so many have relatively little while a few have really large amounts). So, I roughly estimate that about half of the DJFM's will have 0.40" or less falling as wintry precip. In a bad winter, that could easily be less than 0.10" and even 0.00". In a very few great winters, that has been as much as ~3" or even a little more (from huge ZR events or multiple major ZR events).

On average, KATL gets an avg. of about 18" total liquid equivalent in DJFM. So, with the median wintry pecip. being ~0.40", no more than ~2% of the total liquid equiv. falls as wintry precip. in half the KATL winters. I bet that places like RDU don't even get more than ~5% falling as wintry in half of all winters. In a typical very good winter where KATL gets one major S/IP storm (about one in four) and there is, say, 0.75" liquid equivalent, that still is not much more than 4% of the total liquid for DJFM.

My point for areas like much of N GA is that almost always there will be only a very small % of the total precip. falling as S, IP, or ZR, including most great winters. The vast majority of systems are going to produce just plain rain. So, patience is so badly needed for wintry precip lovers around here.

I'm happy enough with the idea of a "normal winter" around here. Last winter it got cold enough for frozen, if there had been some rain around....maybe only one or two nights...but as always it takes timing. If it's winter, at least a few nights will be cold, and even in a drought a few nights will be wet.....so it's the timing that counts :) - atl and +pac will help..a lot, sometimes...but without the timing, it's just interesting stats in another snowless winter's log. I think the best upgrade for our chances would be a switch to a wetter than normal winter, rather than a colder than normal one. T

If the GFS is right we are going to flip quickly into a winter pattern w/ winter threats as soon as Dec strikes. Very exciting in the long range. If it's right, it bodes well for a good winter with -AO dominated pattern.

Indeed, the model goes wild with blocks building all over the arctic region, and explains the low confidence and run-to-run inconsistency among the models. I'm curious to see how the PNA will act this season given the big move toward a +PDO in recent weeks.

Indeed, the model goes wild with blocks building all over the arctic region, and explains the low confidence and run-to-run inconsistency among the models. I'm curious to see how the PNA will act this season given the big move toward a +PDO in recent weeks.

Exactly. You actually want inconsistency in the long range if you want a pattern change, because the models are following the tail of a whip. The further out, the more variability, and the more the model is unsure of what is going to happen.

If the GFS is right we are going to flip quickly into a winter pattern w/ winter threats as soon as Dec strikes. Very exciting in the long range. If it's right, it bodes well for a good winter with -AO dominated pattern.

Haven't seen enough of the 00z, but the 18z certainly was in line with your thinking. Looks like a key to me is whether this -NAO sets up west or not, and holds. Some of the modeling keeps lower heights in central Canada and the -NAO stays east. Pacific has its own set of issues.

0z continues the strengthening Greenland block and holding that crucial 50/50 low in place, effectively shielding us from any abv normal temps by maintaining confluence overhead.

k7xdE.gif

The rest of the run into la la land actually keeps a 576mb block right over Greenland for several days. Needless to nay, the NAO is going to go solidly negative over the next few weeks, perhaps very strongly so.

Archived