• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A change to a wintry pattern emerging after November?

Wow

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, 18z does what we need to bring the real cold stuff this way, that is, it phases in the Arctic jet and pulls the PV over to SE Canada. With the cold in place, then we can start looking for any disturbances which may trek through the STJ as we get nearer to this time frame. GFS is very progressive with it, however, as the ridge over Greenland fails to lock in and deflects toward N Europe. This is all well beyond 240 hrs so it all does not mean much right now.

tkkOQ.gif

Many of the GFS runs now are splitting the polar vortex at 30 hPa and we're getting under the 10 day window.Still looking for the warming over the pole but if the split occurs it should warm.

Just my opinion.

It very well should. There's a little of that chicken or the egg talk on whether a warming stratosphere will bring around a -AO blocking regime or the atmospheric conditions in the higher pressure range will then bring about a warming at the pole (the "bottom-up" scenario).

It very well should. There's a little of that chicken or the egg talk on whether a warming stratosphere will bring around a -AO blocking regime or the atmospheric conditions in the higher pressure range will then bring about a warming at the pole (the "bottom-up" scenario).

Also the polar vortex is splitting at 10 hPa on some runs but not quite in the 10 day yet but close.Getting action on these levels can change patterns IMO.

MJO is also forecast to come around into phase 1 and 2 so we may get even more help there.

Also the polar vortex is splitting at 10 hPa on some runs but not quite in the 10 day yet but close.Getting action on these levels can change patterns IMO.

MJO is also forecast to come around into phase 1 and 2 so we may get even more help there.

It's getting there at 10 hPa by 240 hrs. The PV split definitely manages to rise up to 30 hPa by then, however.

4XAOb.gif

Just from things I'm seeing,this looks like a set up where the arctic air drops down the plains and stalls sw-ne through TN and KY where if there is precip,Memphis and Dallas get the frozen precip,and majority of SE stays warm and dry.JMO

Very possible. This is how I see it as well. A tight gradient of temps while the se stays normalish.

The mean trough position slowly moves eastward through the run, while it begins in the west-central US, after a PNA ridge pops beyond 240, the arctic hounds are released as our -NAO block holds throughout the model run.

Some nice cross-polar action, albeit in the long range. Nice wave 1 pattern emergine. With the exception of last year, December 5 has been a good date to many of us. smile.png

zfqer.gif

12z Euro toward the end of the run is putting together one awesome setup... huge 50/50 low, Greenland block, and +PNA ridge with building high pressure sliding in from Canada, and a nice STJ wave digging to the GOM...

@ 240 hrs:

L6CLh.gif

True arctic air (-25C just north of the Lakes) moving in with strengthening HP from the deepening 50/50 low (basically a part of the PV).

hCATg.gif

Some exciting things are showing up on the models more and more now... I think the start of December is going to be fun to watch.

Nice developing -NAO on today's Euro, retrograding west at the end. Not so good in the eastern Pacific though (in general). I'd like to see that pig anomaly over the Bearing Strait wash out, as it is keeping a mean trough off the west coast.

Pacific actually turns pretty well by the end of the run IMO, with trough west of HI teleconnecting to the +PNA...

If it's just going to produce a cold rain, I'll pass. But if it can set something else up down the road in regards to a good snow, I'm all for it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The build-up of cold air in Canada is a very good thing and something we didn't see a lot of last year. Also good, as was mentioned, is the continued -NAO signal. The SW on the 240 Euro map would probably end up wide right if that depiction were to verify verbatim, but given that the major pieces are somewhere near the correct spaces on the map, that's a very good starting place.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The build-up of cold air in Canada is a very good thing and something we didn't see a lot of last year. Also good, as was mentioned, is the continued -NAO signal. The SW on the 240 Euro map would probably end up wide right if that depiction were to verify verbatim, but given that the major pieces are somewhere near the correct spaces on the map, that's a very good starting place.

I agree, it's a good starting point. Looks much better than last winter so far. Get the players on the field and in the right places for some good stuff to come our way.

Precip wise the Euro is awfully close to something much bigger. If this keeps showing up (which it probably will not) with that setup, someone is going to be in business early.

It is close as long as the cold air builds in ahead of it in a bit more pronounced fashion. The s/w misses the phase as it's sliding down to the GOM but if it does, it's going to bring down some bitter cold air for this time of the year.

Thanks Wow and the others for the analysis. It really looks like things are shaping up nicely. I thought we'd have more mets and others in general posting about this with such a good looking trend.

This is something to be optimistic about. The flip side is it is a long way out and there are a few ways that good setup could go wrong and just miss us. I see lots of optimism which is great but we have a long way to go yet.

Archived