Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy Observations/ Nowcast Nov 6/7

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if that stuff coming off the sound is rain, freezing rain would suck

32.7/29 - temp and dewpoint at it's lowest in this event but surprisingly the stuff coming in from the SE is mainly sleet with some snowflakes mixed in. No rain. 1/2" of slush is the total down here now that the precip seems to have flipped to sleet.

Winds have been howling for the past 2 hours - frequent gusts over 50 with not much break in between.

Taunton's forecast for here never mentioned a flake or an ice pellet here locally yet that's basically what we've had since 3pm.

I think you may be shut out. Maybe some flurries or a period of light snow...but it just can't get in there enough to moisten the atmosphere.

Taken from a weather weenie perspective it sucks that I get no snow but walking the dog earlier the N winds were howling and dry to the point of tking my breath away. Great storm evolution for the weenies S and E of here. Can only hope this is a microcosm of how the winter goes because I'll take my chances with coastal L's moving into cold dry air to the N.

Grinch I tweeted your picture to NWS and media, unreal

No problem and to answer your first question the table did have the most from 9"-10.5" measurement. The other measurements were away from the house, though the wind is cranking now and very hard to measure.

Fooking Grinch will get 14". Wow. Mesoscale banding FTW.

14" was my snowtober final, would be epic to do it again...

Just cought a couple pingers in the face out there.....

:(

There's still some good mid-level forcing contributing to the bands in the interior and E MA...you can see them regenerating as they pivot NW.

14o20y.jpg

what do you think the story is here as the night wanes on? And do you have any faith in those 4 km NAM maps that showed this stuff sticking around til 9 am? Last IMBY post I promise haha. This was just a nice surprise.

It will probably switch to a SNPL thing perhaps after 06z in some spots on ern MA. Even sleet in the obs near BDR per peeps here. That dryslot is also a warm tongue.

There were some waves of precip that was melting a lower levels, but for the most part there is a subtle melting layer trying to show up with the warm nose above 5500 ft (SW of BOX over LI). So that matches up well with PL rather than ZR for now.

32.7/29 - temp and dewpoint at it's lowest in this event but surprisingly the stuff coming in from the SE is mainly sleet with some snowflakes mixed in. No rain. 1/2" of slush is the total down here now that the precip seems to have flipped to sleet.

Winds have been howling for the past 2 hours - frequent gusts over 50 with not much break in between.

Taunton's forecast for here never mentioned a flake or an ice pellet here locally yet that's basically what we've had since 3pm.

hard to remember a major storm in Westerly that did not have sleet. I wonder if that gust that just scared everyone in my house including dogs was a convective downburst.

There's still some good mid-level forcing contributing to the bands in the interior and E MA...you can see them regenerating as they pivot NW.

14o20y.jpg

They keep firing right over the canal. Lots of street flooding here.

Seas are running 20-30 feet even in the northern part of Cape Cod Bay. We have not had those peak 70-85mph gusts here, but overall this storm rates as worse in terms of length of time of constant, nasty winds and rain vs Sandy.

There's very little time between gusts we've essentially had tropical storm force winds for hours.

Falmouth is back to my SW and inland a bit, up near the water it's been a steady sand pelting 40-45 mph for several hours with gusts into the low to mid 60s. This is really impressive for Otis.

FALMOUTH CLOUDY 39 37 93 NE39G58

I feel ya. Hang though. Surely, you'll get yours this winter (when many of us get the shaft).

This is an early season freakshow.

I've had plenty of snow the last 5 years including some big jackpots so no one has to feel sorry for me...I'm not even sorry for me. It's just always more boring on the sidelines.

Congrats again to all of you though. Quite the overperformer in spots.

14o20y.jpg

Snow picked up a bit here in the last few minutes, should easily break 6 inches, what do you have in Worc Will? I was there this afternoon and theres not much happening except for some decent winds.

Archived