Newest Member
    joxey
Election week coastal storm threat

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice block!

Heh, I just posted in the wind competition thread about the NAO. It's forecast to remain negative through mid month. Most guidance keeps it below -1 sd as well with plenty showing it sticking in the -2 territory. This in itself shows that the potential for a coastal something or other exists.

GFS is thinking about something on or around the 6th but it's all rain at this point. Something worth keeping an eye on. Decent hp placement, not bad @ h5, and blocking is considering its options. We need the vortex between gl and canada to move a few hundred miles west and it will look a whole lot different.

I honesty don't like Nov weather wise. One of my least fave months. Cold enough to hamper outdoor stuff, switch over to getting dark before dinnertime, typically no snow prospects, and trees look depressing. If it wasn't for the speculation about winter and the NFL I wouldn't like the month at all.

6z gfs like the idea more than 0z. Tough is negative and a h5 closed vort at the base sprouts a coastal. It then proceeds to craaaaawl up the coast. It's all rain but still. Looking at h5 keeps me interested for now. If the 850 low formed far enough south and moved up off the coast then thermals would look quite different.

Election day blizzard. Book it!

FWIW, Larry Cosgrove on FB (reposting with his permission):

I think the GFS ensemble idea of a strong winter-type storm over the Mid-Atlantic and New England states is correct. Teleconnections support the system evolution, with shortwave energy undercutting a -NAO styled block. Add a surge of cold air and a fairly prominent 500MB low, and my friends in Appalachia into the Eastern Seaboard above Petersburg VA are in for some awful weather Sunday and Monday. Check out the GOES image, and read Mike Harpe's comments in the post below this one....

I guess it is that time of the year when weenies post 200 hour 18Z GFS plots and lament how the storm will be a dud due to warm surface temperatures, even though the model just moved the low 850 miles between runs.

It is also the same model that 7 days out showed a NNE landfall, so it was only off by 800 miles.

Next week's storm looks more like a swing and a miss to me... maybe up into New England, but getting snow around these parts will be very difficult.

500mb heights show the 00z GFS Op (cyan line) has a much greater negatively tilted trough and more amplified blocking compared to the ensembles (white line):

post-96-0-80046300-1351762173_thumb.png

I guess it is that time of the year when weenies post 200 hour 18Z GFS plots and lament how the storm will be a dud due to warm surface temperatures, even though the model just moved the low 850 miles between runs.

Yeah, it's funny. It's November - the pattern has to be more perfect than usual for it to snow in our area. People seem to forget that most of our snow comes in January and February. Even in December, it can be a struggle.

After last winter, I have very modest expectations. I'm OK if we don't see anything in November, and don't see much of anything in December.

Archived