joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Election week coastal storm threat

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro forms a low over N FL 18z Tuesday.. tracks to outer banks by 12z Wed. Right off delmarva at 0z Thurs. Sorta stalls right south of NJ coast thru 12z Thur.

Looks like 1-2" rain across DC area. Has sig snow for western 'burbs (4-8" or so). Brings light accumulation to I-95.

Ian...just guessing based off the Instant Weather Maps site...this would be a snow-to rain event? Maybe back to snow at the tail end?

P.S. Have to laugh @ DT who just the other day talked up the Euro and did normal GFS bashing because the GFS had a big coastal (wrong in his opinion) and the Euro was OTS (right of course). Now they've switched. :lol:

Ian...just guessing based off the Instant Weather Maps site...this would be a snow-to rain event? Maybe back to snow at the tail end?

P.S. Have to laugh @ DT who just the other day talked up the Euro and did normal GFS bashing because the GFS had a big coastal (wrong in his opinion) and the Euro was OTS (right of course). Now they've switched. laugh.png

Hard to say for sure. Looks like on the eastern end it would be rain to snow to rain. The 850 line backs west a smidge during the event. The jackpot area looks like it might never switch from snow though I'd guess there's some mix with the low track.

Whats the BL looking like?

sfc temps are in the 30s.. the timing is good since it's mostly overnight. if the low didn't stall like it shows the 0c 850 might not push back west like it does.

Enlarged a little snip of the 850 temp map @ hr 120 from the euro. 0c basically directly over top of I-95. Parrs Ridge area of md would be a good chase area for me (taking the euro verbatim which still seems silly but I'm starting to become more interested).

This area does VERY well in these type of marginal setups.. 9" here from the storm last October.

This area does VERY well in these type of marginal setups.. 9" here from the storm last October.

Yes it sure does. You wouldn't think that 600' could make such a big difference but it sure does. I worked in Mt. Airy for 5 years and it never ceased to amaze me how much different snowfall would be in just 30 miles from my house.

I think there is an upslope component with NE-E surface flow too which helps with both precip rates and a little extra kick to surface cooling. I remember we had a discussion about this a year or 2 ago and it was really apparent with climo snow maps. The Frederick valley gets shafted because of Parrs too.

I am only 6 miles or so south of there and I got 2", and areas just a few miles to my south got nothing. I wonder what it would be like if Damascus was at 2,000 and Germantown at like 1,400.

I dug up a sweet radar shot and vis sat from the Oct storm. Really puts it into perspective. Also shows how Parrs = win and Frederick Valley = loss.

I dug up a sweet radar shot and vis sat from the Oct storm. Really puts it into perspective. Also shows how Parrs = win and Frederick Valley = loss.

That satellite photo shows Frederick area easily in between the two white areas. If you look at the average MD snowfall chart by the NWS, that hole over Frederick is real as the city sits in the valley. More like a bowl actually.

I am only 6 miles or so south of there and I got 2", and areas just a few miles to my south got nothing. I wonder what it would be like if Damascus was at 2,000 and Germantown at like 1,400.

I'm just a few miles south of Mt Airy; the closest establishment outside of the prohibition zone to get beverages is "Lou and Joes" on rt 27, which I'm guessing is 20' or so feet higher than my house. It always seems like the parking lot has a bit more snow there than my driveway. In the past I remember just beyond Cedar Grove Elementary on 27 being a break point between a dusting vs several inches.

If Sandy can be considered in the end, a mega-nor'easter instigated by a tropical system, the upcoming storm is not analogous.

Never-the-less, winter weather lovers in the mid-Atlantic must be encouraged by a reloading pattern of vorticity moving up the coast along with some blocking. At least systems are not relentlessly zonal and progressive. Not much if any snow with the next system but it is only the second week of November.

Oh yeah, the EURO is hot to trot.

Keep hearing it's such a good sign seeing noreasters already. Yeah ok let's get our noreasters in oct and nov. so when it really counts we get diddly squat. Hope this thing misses. Would rather have progressive pattern now transition to more amped phased pattern end of November and December. Much better shot of attaining snow

Archived