• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Election week coastal storm threat

Midlo Snow Maker

Does anyone think this threat is legitimate? It's getting into the mid-range now. However, Euro is still bearish and is warm with temps. It seems the best outcome we can hope for is rain to snow...

Storm is certainly legit... tho I wouldn't expect a snowstorm in Cape May.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Computer modeling is outstanding imo. To think that either model can occasionally hit pretty close at 5+ days is remarkable. With that being said, some things are easier to predict than others. A miller a with blocking is way easier that a miller b with no blocking. We saw a ton of phase events last year and the models were all over for days. Tiny differences in timing mean huge swings in solutions downstream.

People (weenies) should try to think for themselves anyway. Use models as tools to decide what you think is most likely and not using any one solution as an end all be all. I think the gfs can kick the euro's butt sometimes for sure but the euro does seem pretty good at picking out miller A's. It can be terrible with phased progressive events. Almost always shows a perfect hit at day 6 or so but as soon as I see that I know we're fooked.

Agree, It looks like a real wind and tide threat for NJ into NY.

With compromised barrier beaches, scoured out coastal shelf bottoms, much bigger threat than normal, thankfully we are in between moon cycles. getting lots of reports from locals at the ocean in RI that levels are still high, odd situation. In case you did not hear, tremendous damage in SRI, similar to Hurricane Carol. Fishing is kaput too.

UKMET looks likely to develop the low further south at 72 hours...but I am not sure where to get UKMET images past 72 hours so hard to say for sure. I think for our area its not so much a matter of the exact surface track being east vs west as much as it is an issue of how far south the surface low begins to develop and deepen. The UKMET and Euro have been showing a hit for our area because they both begin to develop the storm over the southeast and bring it up as a miller a system all the way. The GGEM and GFS have more of a late development or almost miller b look to them. If the low does not beging to really get going and have an expansive precip field until it is already north of the VA capes...its probably too late for us. We need the southeast development the UK and EC show.

It's called selective memory. Without doubt the euro wins in the verification game over the long haul but the verification scores are not that different. In this case I suspect the euro is more right than the earlier GFS runs but the new GFS has moved in that direction and may not have a bad solution. Neither is good for up towards NYC...too much wind.

Great post

UKMET looks likely to develop the low further south at 72 hours...but I am not sure where to get UKMET images past 72 hours so hard to say for sure. I think for our area its not so much a matter of the exact surface track being east vs west as much as it is an issue of how far south the surface low begins to develop and deepen. The UKMET and Euro have been showing a hit for our area because they both begin to develop the storm over the southeast and bring it up as a miller a system all the way. The GGEM and GFS have more of a late development or almost miller b look to them. If the low does not beging to really get going and have an expansive precip field until it is already north of the VA capes...its probably too late for us. We need the southeast development the UK and EC show.

Here you go. http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod=ukmet&run=12&stn=PNM&hh=000&map=na〈=en

Canadian has like a 970 low off Jersey

Yea, moster storm but very minimal impact on our region. It delays development until off the mid atlantic coast then really bombs out but a little too late to impact us. UKMET appears to have shifted east also and probably misses our area. Have to see if the EC holds with a further south development and west track.

Archived