• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

OF EVEN GREATER CONCERN IS A SECOND BAND OF FCST 925 MB WINDS OF SIMILAR STRENGTH ON THE SE FLANK OF THE CYCLONE THAT SHOULD ROTATE UP INTO LONG ISLAND...SOUTHERN CT AND POSSIBLY NYC METRO DURING AND JUST AFTER LANDFALL. STEEPENING LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES IN THIS QUADRANT OF THE STORM AS LOW LEVEL CAA BEGINS FROM THE SOUTHEAST COULD LEAD TO EVEN MORE EFFICIENT MOMENTUM TRANSFER DURING THE EVENING...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS EXPECTED ALONG THE SOUTH SHORES OF LONG ISLAND AND CT WHERE WINDS COULD GUST TO 85-90 MPH. THERE MAY BE A LOW END TORNADO THREAT ACROSS EASTERN CT/LONG ISLAND DURING THIS TIME VIA STRONG LOW LEVEL HELICITY AND DEVELOPMENT OF MARGINAL LOW LEVEL CAPE...NOT ENOUGH FOR THUNDER INITIALLY BUT ENOUGH FOR LOW-TOPPED CONVECTION THAT COULD STRETCH ROTATING UPDRAFTS AND/OR TAP INTO HIGHER MOMENTUM ALOFT.

from Upton the worst could be after landfall with south southeast winds

What's awful is that these winds are timed with high tide, since the storm might make landfall by 0z. High tide is around 8-8:30. Just a horrible situation.

Still watching the satellite to see when it makes the left turn. I still think that if Sandy makes it east of 70W, NYC has a better chance in all this for a landfall east of them, but it's a minor and diminishing hope at this stage.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOUS41 KPHI 281841

PNSPHI

DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-

055-060>062-067>071-291200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

241 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA...

SANDY IS EXPECTED TO SLAM INTO THE NEW JERSEY COAST LATER MONDAY

NIGHT, BRINGING VERY HEAVY RAIN AND DAMAGING WINDS TO THE REGION.

THE STORM IS A LARGE ONE, THEREFORE DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT CENTER

OF THE STORM AS ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS.

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN HISTORIC STORM, WITH WIDESPREAD WIND

DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES, INLAND AND COASTAL FLOODING, AND MASSIVE

BEACH EROSION. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND PROLONGED WIND

WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING POWER OUTAGES AND SERIOUS

FLOODING.

PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE WRAPPING UP AS CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO

WORSEN TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE

AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE

OUT THE `62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO

IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT

THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU

MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE

RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR

RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR

PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS

ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR

ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!

$$

NWS MOUNT HOLLY, NJ

The end of number 3 is crazy. I wish these statements were more readily available such as the local news.

Don, great pics, keep'em coming as best you can. Surprised how high "low" tide has been today in Port Jefferson, a place likely for high tidal flooding, but I know you access an area right where Sound ends, so there should be quite a flood there tomorrow. Either way, work tomorrow, as hopefully Suffolk County Executive dismisses us early enough. 6000 county employees (besides cops and emt) on roads during a storm of this magnitude seems real strange.

How will this compare to Gloria in '85 with regard to wind damage, power outages, etc?. We had no lights for over a week and that storm was not very wet but there was widespread wind damage but it was a fast mover (I think it had a forward a speed of 25-30 mph. I have people asking me about it.

I believe 9.5 was what the Battery reached during Irene. I wonder why the values were scaled back?

I believe it's based entirely off the GFS - values for Sandy Point, the Battery went down by a foot - however, LI Sound surges remained the same or got even higher (biggest increase was about a foot for New London.

Guess it has to do with the wind and direction - storm moves faster, less buildup for NY Harbor. I believe the increase for New London CT is because the surge now more precisely matches the evening high tide.

How will this compare to Gloria in '85 with regard to wind damage, power outages, etc?. We had no lights for over a week and that storm was not very wet but there was widespread wind damage but it was a fast mover (I think it had a forward a speed of 25-30 mph. I have people asking me about it.

Highest sustained wind speed at KISP during Hurricane Gloria was 57.5mph. It is possible that we could see those kinds of winds again, but sustained winds here on LI should max out in the low to mid 50's with gusts 70-90mph. Though Sandy's forward speed will be in our favor for higher winds, Sandy's forward speed isn't expected to be as fast as Gloria's. Wind damage and power outages could be the same, if not, weaker, than Gloria.

I have a bit of a bone to pick/question about these surge graphs. I hear people (ex: just read Tom Skilling's update about the surge) saying there is a "9-11 foot surge" coming. Is the tidal flow really include in the surge? Otherwise, compared to 'normal' high tide, the surge is "only" 4-6 feet. How exactly is the surge being defined here?

Archived