joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's going on with these flooding reports already.. (last page)

serious..or bs?

It's real.

Tidal surge flooding parts of Ocean Gate, Bayville, Ortley Beach, Seaside, Coastal Ocean County. I'm working on getting the pics/videos up from my buddy whose riding on fire/rescue down there throughout the storm. This last video I got shows 2ft waves breaking on the shores of the barnaget bay.

It's real.

Tidal surge flooding parts of Ocean Gate, Bayville, Ortley Beach, Seaside, Coastal Ocean County. I'm working on getting the pics/videos up from my buddy whose riding on fire/rescue down there throughout the storm. This last video I got shows 2ft waves breaking on the shores of the barnaget bay.

ohhh boy.

This is gonna be bad.

what's going on with these flooding reports already.. (last page)

serious..or bs?

I've been flipping back and forth between both ny and philly news and i can confirm that some of the back bays down in south jersey have indeed started to overflow onto the roads. I believe it was outside Atlantic City somewhere on the white horse pike.

I don't call them Mt. LOLly for nothing...

If you think this storm is over-hyped and exagerated, please err on the side of caution. You can call me up on Friday, (contact information is at the end of this briefing) and yell at me all you want.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/briefing/packages/current_briefing.pdf

County Executive Orders Mandatory Evacution

MANGANO ORDERS MANDATORY EVACUATION OF FLOOD AND STORM SURGE ZONES

Nassau County to Open Shelters Today

Bethpage, NY – Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today signed an Evacuation Order, effective 2:00 p.m. today, which requires a Mandatory Evacuation of all residents living in a flood or storm surge zone. This area is defined as south of Sunrise Highway, from the Queens line to Rockville Centre and South of Merrick Road, from Rockville Centre to the Nassau-Suffolk border.

This Mandatory Evacuation also includes the residents on the north shore of Nassau County that reside in low-lying areas and storm surge zones. Low-lying are defined as 15 feet above sea-level or less.

It is essential that this evacuation begin prior to wind gusts that exceed 55 miles per hour. Once winds exceed this level, flying debris could be deadly. It is also essential that this evacuation begin immediately, as NICE Bus and the MTA will shut down public transportation beginning at 7:00 p.m. tonight.

To assist in evacuation of the barrier island, the AtlanticBeachBridge leading to Route 878 will be adjusted for northern traffic flow only beginning at 4:00 p.m.

Residents should immediately implement their Friends and Family Sheltering Plan as staying in homes on higher ground will provide the most comfortable situation during the storm. The following public shelters will open today at 1:00 p.m., including:

• NassauCommunity College – P Building – located at 1 Education Drive in Garden City East.

• Levittown Memorial High School – located at 150 Abbey Lane in Levittown

• LocustValleyHigh School – located at 99 Horse Hollow Road in LocustValley.

• SUNY Old Westbury – located at 223 Store Hill Road in Old Westbury.

At 3:00 p.m. today, a Pet Shelter will also open at Nassau County Mitchel Athletic Complex, AdministrationBuilding, in Uniondale.

At 4:00 p.m. today, a Special Needs Shelter will open at NassauCommunity College – CCBBuilding – located at 1 Education Drive in Garden City East.

At 7:00 p.m. today, an Orthodox Shelter will open at West HempsteadHigh School – located at 400 Nassau Boulevard in West Hempstead.

Residents should utilize coastal evacuation routes, which include: Peninsula Blvd, Long Beach Rd., Meadowbrook Parkway and the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway.

All residents throughout NassauCounty are reminded to tie down and secure all items outside their homes, as flying debris can be deadly.

All non-life threatening emergencies should be directed to the County’s Non-Emergency Hotline at 1-888-684-4274. Residents should only contact 911 if there is a life-threatening emergency.

To learn more about hurricane preparation, including assembling an Emergency Go-Kit, residents are encouraged to visit www.nassaucountyny.gov/hurricane

Yes it's true. Some of the canals here on LI have overflowed onto some roadways, not by much only about 2" of water on the roads. One can only imagine how bad it will be when the storm gets here.

Few inches of water on Wellwood Avenue south of Montauk Highway here in Lindenhurst....and it's currently low tide and the storm is several hundred miles away. I think anybody on the south shore south of Montauk Hwy at the very least should consider leaving.

... High Wind Warning remains in effect from 6 am Monday to 6 PM

EDT Tuesday...

* locations... southeast New York... northeast New Jersey and

southern Connecticut.

* Hazards... damaging winds of long duration.

* Winds... northeast 35 to 55 mph with gusts up to 85

mph Monday afternoon... becoming southeast Monday night.

* Timing... Monday morning through Tuesday afternoon. Strongest

winds are expected Monday afternoon and night.

* Impacts... a significant threat to life and property exists.

Damaging winds are expected. Winds will be capable of Downing

trees and snapping off large tree branches. Power outages

could be widespread and last at least several days. Debris

will block some roads. Most poorly anchored Mobile homes will

be damaged. Other homes may have damage to shingles... siding...

gutters and windows... especially if these items are not

properly secured. Loose outdoor items will become airborne...

causing additional damage and possible injury.Windows in high

rise buildings could be broken by flying debris.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Make the final preparations to protect life and property. Rush to

completion the hardening of your home or business by closing

shutters and bracing garage doors. Heed the advice of local

officials and comply with any orders that are issued.

For additional precautionary and preparedness information...

please refer to the detailed recommendations relative to your

location as further described by your local emergency management.

I'm a little concerned with Sandy's track, currently move to the right side of the forecast envelope. If she stays over warmer water and intensifies tropically before making the dramatic left hook, we may be in for some serious doo doo. Especially if she baroclinically deepens further before land fall.

Archived