joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious what the experts and well-informed folks on this board and in this thread feel the landfalling categorization of this storm is going to be. I am especially concerned about homeowner insurance ramifications. My hope is that it does NOT landfall as a hurricane but there seems to be so many variables and ambiguities involved. Thanks for any feedback.

This is a post I made on another forum. It makes the point, no?

STORM ALERT

HURRICANE SANDY

FINAL PREPERATIONS

You can still make final preperations. Here is a list of things you can do

-Clear loose objects from your yard.

-Put cardboard over your windows. If they break do to debris, this will protect you from flying glass.

-Gather all important documents and medicine, and put them in a safe place.

-Buy non-perishable food, and 2 weeks worth of clean water.

-Buy a generator, if possible.

-Evacuate if you are in danger of storm surge, or very bad winds.

-Help others in need.

-Make sure your pets are safe. DO NOT PUT THEM OUTSIDE!

Incredible potential here - could be the top windstorm in this area since Hazel 1954. Could be worse than December '92.

I'm in a valley here in Oakland (extreme NW Bergen County), and it will be tough to crack 50 mph on my anemometer, even at 39' AGL - but that would still be amazing. I'll copy and paste the post I just made in the Philly forum about my station on LBI, which is, of course, in much better position to measure savage gusts:

I went down to LBI to secure my station there yesterday. Obs can be found via the link in my sig (as long as the power stays on!).

The house is on the bayside of LBI, in Holgate - a town which was more or less leveled during the 1962 epic (and I believe during the 1944 storm as well). The house itself was built in 1963, and is up on pilings - so if the surge overtops the dunes and reaches the bay, the house is at least fairly well-protected. I'm hoping landfall will be to the north, so that it won't be as much of a concern.

I have perfect exposure there to the entire NW quadrant (over the bay), with decent (but certainly not as good) exposure to the NE quadrant. It's pretty much perfectly exposed to due North, so if we see the advertised period of vicious winds from that direction later tomorrow, I could be in position to measure something fierce.

During the 6/30/12 derecho, my station measured sustained winds (2-min) up to 47 mph and a peak gust of 58 mph.

Zone a mandatory evacuations.. and schools will not be open tomorrow..

Well it looks like they came to their senses. Thank goodness. Sad that people are now forced to rush out of there at the last minute. What do you think you and I will see up here on the cliffs? I think the gusts will be definitely nasty. Our elevation (your's in Union City and mine in Cliffside Park) will add to the wind's wildness I think.

Nick Gregory was just on. He expects 40-60 sustained winds with gusts up to 80 for the area. He said don't be shocked to see sustained winds and gusts much higher. Gusts possible to 100.

Finally a meteorologist mentions this as a possibility. I am fully with Nick's opinion and again I say to everyone if you rule out what Nick says as a possibility at this stage of the game you are being very foolish imho.

Archived