joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is coastal flooding already here in south Wantagh!!!!!! I would say at least moderate because its on the road!!! That really really does not bowed well for later!!! Im at my parents house 3 blocks from the canal we have never flooded (not even in 92) but i think we at least see water around here which is sooooo unreal!

What is a realistic expectation in terms of precipitation amounts in the NYC area? Some models are quite dry compared to what is shown falling to our south and west.

2-4" imo. there are going to be convective bands rotating around the core which will help our totals

2-4" imo. there are going to be convective bands rotating around the core which will help our totals

Cool, thanks. Looks like we're going to see precip in a punctuated fashion. I was kind of hoping we could get in on the prolonged heavy rains.

Sandy is either starting or will be in the next 6-10 hours, of really getting into the best divergence pattern aloft, and will have that very conductive UL pattern for the vast majority of her remaining time over water....during which time she will make one more pass over the gulf stream....

And it's already down to 951 mb. This thing is a beast.

hard to believe but at KEWR during Irene the winds were basically in the 20's with gusts in the 40's - Sandys winds are forecasted to be double that 50 or better with gusts to 75 . Major difference though with Sandy is the rainfall predicted much less then Irene falling on ground that is basically been dry in most areas now while pre - Irene the ground was approaching saturated already - trees will be more difficult to down now plus many trees are over 50 percent without leaves some closer to 75 % during Irene the trees were 100 % full .........

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2011/8/28/DailyHistory.html

hard to believe but at KEWR during Irene the winds were basically in the 20's with gusts in the 40's - Sandys winds are forecasted to be double that 50 or better with gusts to 75 . Major difference though with Sandy is the rainfall predicted much less then Irene falling on ground that is basically been dry in most areas now while pre - Irene the ground was approaching saturated already - trees will be more difficult to down now plus many trees are over 50 percent without leaves some closer to 75 % during Irene the trees were 100 % full .........

http://www.wundergro...ilyHistory.html

I hope I'm not whistling in the graveyard but I'm with you on this. I think this will be more like the March 13, 2010 storm, but with the ground even less soaked. Remember that was right after the February 25, 2010 "snowicane" that had about 3" liquid. We are, fortunately, in much drier times now.

Apropos of that are we back in the 1950's-1960's dry cycle?

Friv had a good point in the other thread. Just because we've never seen it before, doesn't mean it can't happen. I know NHC got caught with egg on their face back in 2005 with Epsilon and Zeta. The NHC insisted those storms would weaken, but they didn't. The NHC insists this is going to become an extratropical storm, but instead we have a strengthening hurricane. This thing could be sub-940 mb by later today.

Cant believe the complacency around here in Hoboken. Not sure it people are unaware of the impending situation but no precautions have or are being taken anywhere. Halloween decorations still up, garbage cans out, patio furniture out on decks. Last year with Irene was a completely different scene around here. Guess no one thinks this time will be different than Irene since nothing happened last time. A lot of people will be surprised.

it doesnt matter, its still going to be because of the angle of approach with all the water being forced into the harbor.

What I mean is something into central NJ or even just south of NYC would bring a very abrupt shift in winds and even an increase potentially from the SE and S. Something further south would be a gradual NE-E-SE shift and perhaps lessen the impact. Still doesn't change LI sound. Just saying if that happened.

Archived