joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to questions earlier about my 15-25 inch rainfall potential forecast for parts of inland NJ and ne PA, this is based on following reasoning.

North-south frontal boundary will set up during Monday at about 75W, as Sandy approaches, winds east over ne NJ with 64-68 dew points advecting in with tropical core, winds in boundary layer NNE to west of front. Extreme intensity of storm will generate 3-6 inch per hour rainfall rates with embedded TRW+ in this zone. Topography adds lift. It may be the case that my higher numbers are based mainly on higher hourly rates rather than any other differences in philosophy from models or other forecasters.

However, as my prediction seems well outside the range of other estimates I will scale it back to 10-15 inches with risk of higher amounts. This would still produce significant river flooding in many areas affected. My rainfall estimates further east around the Jersey shore, metro NYC into ne NJ and Long Island seem similar to model and forecast consensus but I would stress high probability of frequent thunder.

Not only is this appearing to be a highly anomalous event, its track relative to a surrounding terrain of general lift potential forces its precip shield further, which will tend to amplify frontogenesis in the very rapid transition phase. And now that reports are coming in about lower than expected central pressures at current time, end result to landfall could be even further "off scale" -- I have the impression that this is becoming more widely understood (here) and that is a good thing for forecast preparation and emergency planning.

The one wild card that could totally change the outcome would be some sort of off-the-scale rapid intensification that forces faster acceleration on a track veering more towards Long Island. This would change the outcome back to more of a 1938 type scenario. At this time, I have no reason to predict such a change in evolution but am awaiting 12z model runs with interest.

Cant believe the complacency around here in Hoboken. Not sure it people are unaware of the impending situation but no precautions have or are being taken anywhere. Halloween decorations still up, garbage cans out, patio furniture out on decks. Last year with Irene was a completely different scene around here. Guess no one thinks this time will be different than Irene since nothing happened last time. A lot of people will be surprised.

Live in Hoboken as well and I am quite alarmed by the "non-event" this is being described as here. Went for a run this morning and water was already crashing up further than I've ever seen it. I hope I'm wrong but this could be a really bad situation here. Ill be heading to Staten Island to my parents to get my car out of here.

Yeah I've really noticed that as well. Not to mention that the wind will blow alot of the remaining leaves off that have already changed color. If we get hurricane force gusts it probably won't mean much but hopefully it will take more than a 40 or 50mph gust to down a tree this time around.

Not sure of the others but by me the trees have lost a good chunk of their leaves just in the last few days. Less weight on trees

Cant believe the complacency around here in Hoboken. Not sure it people are unaware of the impending situation but no precautions have or are being taken anywhere. Halloween decorations still up, garbage cans out, patio furniture out on decks. Last year with Irene was a completely different scene around here. Guess no one thinks this time will be different than Irene since nothing happened last time. A lot of people will be surprised.

As someone originally from JC this pains me to hear. Why are eevacuations not in place for JC and Hoboken?! And speaking of Irene - didn't a large section oof Hoboken go underwater anyway? I remember seeing pictures...

In response to questions earlier about my 15-25 inch rainfall potential forecast for parts of inland NJ and ne PA, this is based on following reasoning.

North-south frontal boundary will set up during Monday at about 75W, as Sandy approaches, winds east over ne NJ with 64-68 dew points advecting in with tropical core, winds in boundary layer NNE to west of front. Extreme intensity of storm will generate 3-6 inch per hour rainfall rates with embedded TRW+ in this zone. Topography adds lift. It may be the case that my higher numbers are based mainly on higher hourly rates rather than any other differences in philosophy from models or other forecasters.

However, as my prediction seems well outside the range of other estimates I will scale it back to 10-15 inches with risk of higher amounts. This would still produce significant river flooding in many areas affected. My rainfall estimates further east around the Jersey shore, metro NYC into ne NJ and Long Island seem similar to model and forecast consensus but I would stress high probability of frequent thunder.

Not only is this appearing to be a highly anomalous event, its track relative to a surrounding terrain of general lift potential forces its precip shield further, which will tend to amplify frontogenesis in the very rapid transition phase. And now that reports are coming in about lower than expected central pressures at current time, end result to landfall could be even further "off scale" -- I have the impression that this is becoming more widely understood (here) and that is a good thing for forecast preparation and emergency planning.

The one wild card that could totally change the outcome would be some sort of off-the-scale rapid intensification that forces faster acceleration on a track veering more towards Long Island. This would change the outcome back to more of a 1938 type scenario. At this time, I have no reason to predict such a change in evolution but am awaiting 12z model runs with interest.

Thanks Roger. Good points to consider. Every event always have some surprise or another. Your reasoning for NW areas could be that surprise considering most modeled qpf. Could be the difference between the usual type flooding and major flooding!

Because people are obsessed with having a storm tropical. All of the sudden that means more damage. #Failthinking.

Bloomberg strikes me as just one of the most out-of-touch people around. After the Boxing Day 2010 blizzard he urged people to get out and about the city even when much of the city wasn't plowed for days. I'm really glad at least Governor Cuomo is taking this seriously and shutting down mass transit. My concern is how fast they will be able to get it back running after the storm surge-real possibility it gets high enough to flood the subways and a good part of lower Manhattan. A landfall between 0z-3z Tuesday would maximize this as it's at high tide.

Pardon if this is bantor but wanted to share with folks. A good tip if you dont have a generator is to goto fridge and turn to setting to the coldest to perhaps give a few more hours of chill.

12z nam shows Seaside Heights landfall

Fill your freezer with bottles of water (Or use empty container filled with water) this will act as a block of ice keeping things frozen longer

Archived