12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the SMFR sensor is still detecting hurricane sustained winds at the surface.

I wonder if we might be able to see sustained winds near hurricane force on the beaches here. Some of the models still have the storm strengthening another 5mb or so, and it also is going to be approaching a 1030mb high pressure. A lot of people are thinking 40-45mph sustained but I have to question if that is an underestimate and we're really going to see much more powerful wind, with the coastal stations seeing obs like 60 G 90 or so.

Models are progging a LLJ near 90-100kts just off the deck tomorrow. I'm not sure if you saw this post in the SNE thread, but this applies to NYC and why I would be concerned near 00z.

"the south coast of SNE as Sandy moves into NJ. It's here where another enhanced LLJ from the SE moves in and nails CT. This imo is probably Kevin's best shot. The reason is due to warm surface area that will be ripped in on E-SE winds, yet temps aloft will actually cool thanks to CAA aloft from the SE! This will cause low level lapse rates to steepen and therefore higher momentum transfer possible."

So I expect that many 60mph gusts in the afternoon and the potential increases with a shift to SE winds.

What do you mean by the warm surface area? But wow at there being CAA from aloft coming out of the SE.

Looks like Sandy should make it past 70W, but she'll make a harder turn left perhaps due to the block and incoming S/W (which you can see nicely on water vapor loops barreling like a mofo through the Miss. Valley)? I'm thinking probably Monmouth County someplace for landfall. The timing however is horrendous for many shore locations, since landfall looks to be around 0z or just before. High tide is just after 8PM for many of us, and it will be during very strong southerly winds.

WTNT33 KNHC 290247

TCPAT3

BULLETIN

HURRICANE SANDY ADVISORY NUMBER 27

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

1100 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...SANDY ABOUT TO START ITS NORTHWARD TURN...EXPECTED TO BRING

LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE...COASTAL HURRICANE WINDS AND HEAVY

APPALACHIAN SNOWS...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...34.5N 70.5W

ABOUT 290 MI...465 KM E OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA

ABOUT 470 MI...760 KM SSE OF NEW YORK CITY

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 35 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

Looks like Sandy should make it past 70W, but she'll make a harder turn left perhaps due to the block and incoming S/W (which you can see nicely on water vapor loops barreling like a mofo through the Miss. Valley)? I'm thinking probably Monmouth County someplace for landfall. The timing however is horrendous for many shore locations, since landfall looks to be around 0z or just before. High tide is just after 8PM for many of us, and it will be during very strong southerly winds.

Yep, the turn is already starting. Per the latest advisory she gained 0.5deg of latitude while losing 0.4deg longitude.

I wonder if we might be able to see sustained winds near hurricane force on the beaches here. Some of the models still have the storm strengthening another 5mb or so, and it also is going to be approaching a 1030mb high pressure. A lot of people are thinking 40-45mph sustained but I have to question if that is an underestimate and we're really going to see much more powerful wind, with the coastal stations seeing obs like 60 G 90 or so.

I agree that it's possible somewhere. 40-45 sustained is serious business and pretty uncommon to measure in its own right; rarely do we see higher values, but it happens occasionally. The 3/13/10 nor'easter had peak sustained winds in immediate coastal NJ of around/slightly higher than 50 mph, and the highest ASOS sustained wind I'm aware of was 46 mph at KNEL (Lakewood - Ocean County). In the derecho this past June, I measured 47 mph sustained (58 gust) at my LBI station, and ACY had 61 (74 gust). 46 mph/40 kt sustained can be done, but it's a very impressive number.

My best bet for a 60+ sustained wind measurement would be JFK, FRG or ISP after the center passes in the SE (CAA? Crazy) flow. It could happen in the northerly flow in NY or NJ too, but I think one of those 3 south shore LI stations has the best chance at seeing 60 sustained. I'd put my guess slightly lower, but probably not lower than 55.

Facebook

Nicole Mitchell

Only the hard-core weather geeks will probably understand this. The short version is that Sandy still has some very tropical characteristics!

From a former military colleague (Rich Henning) who now does the NOAA side of the hurricane missions:

For my tropical friends....a pretty amazing G-IV research mission across Hurricane Sandy is just concluding. The jet bombed the center from 150 mb and found 951 mb with a dropsonde. A P-3 fixing the center from 12,000 feet dropped a sonde two minutes earlier and found the same 951 central surface pressure. The G-IV showed how intact the warm core remains all the way up to 300mb and how surprisingl

y light the shear is over the core up at 200mb (with both directional diffluence and speed divergence making things amazingly favorable to keep Sandy remaining tropical for the moment). On my P-3 mission earlier this morning there was enough core convection to briefly form an elliptical eyewall for one of our center fixes.

Nasdaq is shutting down even though it's completely electronic. The fear is even with remote trading most traders are still in the NE so a massive power outage could lead to an illiquid market.

Yea they're taking down NYSE Arca for the same reason. Complete shut down, maybe now I won't have to go to work.

Archived