wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in addition to it strengthening now due to the gulf stream, it's expected to keep strengthening until landfall due to the baroclinic processes. So I'd say 930s is definitely possible and the surge could be much higher than forecast, the gusts right now are approaching 40 mph, very windy.

thats what im saying, the thing is though she didn't even fully cross the gulf stream yet and still has those really warm waters and little to no shear.....along with baroclinic processes.......I'm going to throw a wrench in and say that a 100MPH cat 2 has a decent chance at happening

thats what im saying, the thing is though she didn't even fully cross the gulf stream yet and still has those really warm waters and little to no shear.....along with baroclinic processes.......I'm going to throw a wrench in and say that a 100MPH cat 2 has a decent chance at happening

Good possibility

What do you guys think about the winds for here, could this mean they could be even stronger?

Good possibility.

Anthony: Can you please post about the status of your home in Sheepshead Bay every 3 hours for so with respect with surge since I live only 2 blocks north of you? Thanks. Hope you stay safe.

That's if my power doesn't go out.

Good luck down there. That surge of SE winds tonight could have widespread 80-90+ gusts.

Thanks Scott. Be careful up there also.

Anthony: Can you please post about the status of your home in Sheepshead Bay every 3 hours for so with respect with surge since I live only 2 blocks north of you? Thanks. Hope you stay safe.

I'm 10 min from Riis park & water HAS broken the sand walls& coming up/past boardwalk

Storm SANDY: Observed By Air Force #302

Storm #18 in Atlantic Ocean

Maximum Flight Level Winds Were 94KT (108.1mph 174.1km/h) In SE Quadrant At 10:14:00Z

Estimated Max Surface Winds 84.6KT (97.3mph 156.7km/h) *

Misc Remarks: MAX FL TEMP 17 C 118 / 12 NM FROM FL CNTRMAX OUTBOUND SFMR SFC WIND 61 KT SE QUAD 10:01:30Z;

Date/Time of Recon Report: Monday, October 29, 2012 4:41:00 AM (Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:41:00 GMT)

Position of the center: 36° 10' N 070° 40' W (36.2°N 70.7°W) [see Map]

Minimum Height Measured At Standard Level Of 700mb: 2604m (Normal: 3011)

Surface Winds Were Estimated At: 42KT (48.3MPH 77.8km/h)

Estimated Surface Winds Were Measured 62nm (71.3miles) From Center At Bearing 308°

Maximum Flight Level Winds Near Center Were 46KT (52.9mph 85.2km/h) From 078°

Maximum Flight Level Winds Were Measured 70nm (80.5 miles) From Center At Bearing 308°

Minimum pressure: 948mb (27.99in)

Eye Wall Characterization Not Reported

Eye Did Not Have A Definable Form or was not reported

Center Fix Established Using: Penetration Wind Pressure Temperature

Center Fix Established At Level(s): 700mb

Navigational Accuracy Measured At 0.02nm

Meteorological Accuracy Measured At 1nm

* = Estimated Surface Winds are assumed 90% of Max Flight Level Winds

Archived