Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am putting out a request here for anyone who does wxobs...Sandy Obs...to let me know what is happening in Brooklyn..Williamsburg area..flooding,wind... My son lives there...I normally post on the New England American Weather Forum...You can email em to me or text me at tweet me @nehollywood thanks,Craig

http://northeastweathereye.com

Augusta Maine

This is on track to produce the extreme wind gusts that I mentioned on this thread whenever that was ... basically it is just too strong a storm to do anything else. You can see how it's rotating its energy around to the forward side and I fully expect this to start ramping up winds across Long Island and NYC, northern NJ to landfall values that will be similar to the hurricane's circulation potential, so in other words, 50-80 mph sustained, 100-120 mph gusts. The rainfall will also beef up to the north of the track as the frontal zone inland ne PA and nw NJ begins to receive low level frontal forcing from 65-70 F dew points rapidly advecting west. I thinik today's max temps in NYC may surprise (not sure what they are predicted to be, too busy to check) but watch temps come up into low 70s in the screaming ESE storm force winds. Could be like 72/71 with a wind chill of 45 from some graph but of course that won't actually be the case.

Good point. This will be drawing a lot of unseasonably warm, moist air north from the tropics. I think that's one of the reasons the models are fully picking up the surface wind potential. They aren't mixing well because they keep the surface temperatures too low. I think it will rise into the 50s overnight here in northeast Ohio tonight, and peak near 60 tomorrow morning before the storm starts tracking north.

Yeah go with WABC. the cross-eyed idiot on Fox 5 is still motioning the eye of the storm to turn NW and hit monmouth county, lol.

Are you talking about Nick Gregory? If so you're dead wrong. He's not some dumbass reading off a prompter. He's had detailed commentary throughout his reports. For example he was mentioning how he thinks this will come ashore sooner or how it looks like it will make landfall a little farther south than progged.

I am putting out a request here for anyone who does wxobs...Sandy Obs...to let me know what is happening in Brooklyn..Williamsburg area..flooding,wind... My son lives there...I normally post on the New England American Weather Forum...You can email em to me or text me at tweet me @nehollywood thanks,Craig

Augusta Maine

I know the coastal sections of areas by Red Hook are flooded. That's pretty close to Williamsburg.

Hey guys... question. What NYC area TV station has the best coverage? WABC?

Avoid Lonnie Quinn on Channel 2 and Mike Woods on Channel 5 - both are hunky weather guys, who have no knowledge of meteorology, as far as I can tell. Quinn just said that cold core storms get their energy from the colder temps in the ocean. Stick with Lee Goldberg on Channel 7 (plus you get the Liz Cho bonus).

Hey, does this site keep going down? Seems like threads haven't been updating for 30-40 minutes at a time, but one can still see existing threads.

Jusy trying to get an official pressure reading for Sandy at landfall.. lowest I've seen from a land station is 950 mb over the Cape May area, and 954 mb at ACY. This is a good 5-10 mb higher than recon estimate at 940-944 mb. What will the official lowest pressure for Sandy be.. one that is offically recorded by a land station, or one that is estimated by dropsondes?

Augusta Maine

From Williamsburg: Winds are picking up. Rain is on and off. Power is still on. Most bodegas have closed.

Jusy trying to get an official pressure reading for Sandy at landfall.. lowest I've seen from a land station is 950 mb over the Cape May area, and 954 mb at ACY. This is a good 5-10 mb higher than recon estimate at 940-944 mb. What will the official lowest pressure for Sandy be.. one that is offically recorded by a land station, or one that is estimated by dropsondes?

Doubt there will be any below 950 mb. The record for a sea level station in the NE was 946 mb at Bellport, LI, during the Hurricane of 1938. Henry M. of Accuweather believes the eye passed over Sea Isle City, just north of Cape May. See link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=sea%20isle%20city%20nj&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Doubt there will be any below 950 mb. The record for a sea level station in the NE was 946 mb at Bellport, LI, during the Hurricane of 1938. Henry M. of Accuweather believes the eye passed over Sea Isle City, just north of Cape May. See link.

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Pressure still falling at ACY even though eye is inland.. down to 948 mb latest obs.

KACY 292254Z AUTO 02030G43KT 2SM BR OVC007 17/16 A2801 RMK AO2 PK WND 01043/2247 SLP483 P0004 T01670156 TSNO

KACY 292243Z AUTO 01026G42KT 2SM BR OVC009 17/16 A2801 RMK AO2 PK WND 02043/2221 PRESFR P0004 TSNO

KACY 292216Z AUTO 01026G43KT 1 1/2SM BR OVC007 17/16 A2807 RMK AO2 PK WND 36043/2210 PRESFR P0001 TSNO

KACY 292207Z AUTO 02030G41KT 2SM BR OVC007 17/16 A2809 RMK AO2 PK WND 02041/2204 PRESFR P0001 TSNO

KACY 292154Z AUTO 03027G48KT 1 3/4SM BR OVC009 17/16 A2811 RMK AO2 PK WND 03056/2057 RAB23E33 PRESFR SLP519 P0003 T01720161 TSNO

Archived