• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

DT posted on facebook that the turn to the NW began earlier than expect so he expects a landfall now in DE or far south NJ. Any truth to this?

Every high resolution model has the storm landfalling in South-Central NJ which is maybe a 20 mile change from yesterday. Here's the RAP for example.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/RUCNE_12z/f12.gif

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

500mb phase has occurred and the swing to the NW will begin -- as this occurs our area will be placed under some very strong wind fields in one of the most anomalous upper air set ups we have all seen. For those of you screaming bust...talk to me in 5 hours.

post-6-0-50533000-1351524537_thumb.gif

There are people actually already calling it a bust?? Wow...the surge alone tonight will be devastating given what happened at this mornings high tide.

Looks like the RAP has much more precip for northern NJ as well compared to the NAM. Will be interesting to see if we can get some heavy bands of rain later on as the storm approaches..

Yeah, agreed. Its shows a lot more rain in north jersey then the global models. Not sure what to think of it though.

This is on track to produce the extreme wind gusts that I mentioned on this thread whenever that was ... basically it is just too strong a storm to do anything else. You can see how it's rotating its energy around to the forward side and I fully expect this to start ramping up winds across Long Island and NYC, northern NJ to landfall values that will be similar to the hurricane's circulation potential, so in other words, 50-80 mph sustained, 100-120 mph gusts. The rainfall will also beef up to the north of the track as the frontal zone inland ne PA and nw NJ begins to receive low level frontal forcing from 65-70 F dew points rapidly advecting west. I thinik today's max temps in NYC may surprise (not sure what they are predicted to be, too busy to check) but watch temps come up into low 70s in the screaming ESE storm force winds. Could be like 72/71 with a wind chill of 45 from some graph but of course that won't actually be the case.

don't know if anyone posted this but according to this - the hurricane force winds are south -southwest of the center - will this be the case when the center is forecasted to come inland in far south jersey ???

http://www.nhc.noaa....?large#contents

Probably not. When the center come close to the coast, the winds would be offshore from land, so there would be more friction. I think if the storm is able to organize its self a little differently, maybe the S/SE side would become the strongest.

Christie: "We were made aware that 25% of people ignored the mandatory evac in Seaside Heights. We saw news crews there with people at 12pm, and the storm was 200 miles away with the conditions horrible already. How are they going to feel in 12 hours when the storm makes landfall 25 miles south of them? They are now in harms way. It was stupid and selfish, and now they're likely going to put emergency crews into harms way as well."

We all better get used to it. I'm pretty certain it's going to be Christie in the White House for 2016. I personally like his bluntness at times, especially for this situation.

Christie: "We were made aware that 25% of people ignored the mandatory evac in Seaside Heights. We saw news crews there with people at 12pm, and the storm was 200 miles away with the conditions horrible already. How are they going to feel in 12 hours when the storm makes landfall 25 miles south of them? They are now in harms way. It was stupid and selfish, and now they're likely going to put emergency crews into harms way as well."

I've been noticing this over the last 48 hours. Some mets blindly saying the worst part of the storm will be on the NE quadrant. As we have seen, the NE is on the drier side by the SW is where all the precip is.. I think the further south this thing lands, its better for Ocean County NJ and northward. Also, the winds will hopefully be a little less. I can appreciate an earlier thread discussing the reporting of winds measured aloft by plane rather than actual ground observations. I can believe some gusts nearing hurricane force as the center makes landfall, but not much higher. Unfortunately, Weather Underground is experiencing banding problems, so I can't observe what is actually going on rather than what the media is telling me.

Archived