Newest Member
    12bet1 net
hurricane sandy thread #3

forkyfork

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

57 kts at the surface translates to about 66 mph..... assuming the recon numbers of 102kt - 45 kts as you drop to sea level is correct.

90MPH cane next update?

thats by far my biggest concern and that situation just doesnt be looking to improve as of now. id like to get one of our experienced mets in here to explain why and if those conditions will improve

It has 70kt surface winds right now and 100kt flight level winds. So you're still getting winds consistently around 80mph right at sea level, and that's 175 miles from the storm. Did you expect any more than that?

thats by far my biggest concern and that situation just doesnt be looking to improve as of now. id like to get one of our experienced mets in here to explain why and if those conditions will improve

How about the fact that the storm is located over the open ocean and observation sites are not that close to each other like they are over land? Most of the observations were taken hundreds of miles from the center! Based on those maps, how could we possibly know if the winds are mixing down to the surface or not?

folks, there is an inversion above a 925 mb jet that reaches over 80 kts. That isnt that high above the ground when your pressures are going to be in the 970s so that means you can mix down hurricane force gusts. PLUS, there is potential for precip loading in heavier rains.

umm this is kind of the situation where i better not ask for more than i bargain for huh? just was bringing up a future concern for winds when the storm does impact our area

I just don't understand what you are saying. It's pretty standard to have a 30% reduction between flight level winds and surface winds. Currently, flight level winds are 102 kts (110mph) and surface winds are 70kts (77mph). If we even see gusts of the same speed as the current surface winds (near 80mph), we're going to have a lot of problems. I think it seems pretty normal for a strong Category 1 hurricane. We should also see the wind field continue to spread out more as it becomes extratropical.

Models are progging a LLJ near 90-100kts just off the deck tomorrow. I'm not sure if you saw this post in the SNE thread, but this applies to NYC and why I would be concerned near 00z.

"the south coast of SNE as Sandy moves into NJ. It's here where another enhanced LLJ from the SE moves in and nails CT. This imo is probably Kevin's best shot. The reason is due to warm surface area that will be ripped in on E-SE winds, yet temps aloft will actually cool thanks to CAA aloft from the SE! This will cause low level lapse rates to steepen and therefore higher momentum transfer possible."

So I expect that many 60mph gusts in the afternoon and the potential increases with a shift to SE winds.

Models are progging a LLJ near 90-100kts just off the deck tomorrow. I'm not sure if you saw this post in the SNE thread, but this applies to NYC and why I would be concerned near 00z.

"the south coast of SNE as Sandy moves into NJ. It's here where another enhanced LLJ from the SE moves in and nails CT. This imo is probably Kevin's best shot. The reason is due to warm surface area that will be ripped in on E-SE winds, yet temps aloft will actually cool thanks to CAA aloft from the SE! This will cause low level lapse rates to steepen and therefore higher momentum transfer possible."

So I expect that many 60mph gusts in the afternoon and the potential increases with a shift to SE winds.

Squalls have the potential to mix down some of those winds, for sure.

You guys really need to read more and post less, but I'm sure ill get some rambling post back from you, saying I'm picking on you. The outer rain bands associated with Sandy aren't even anywhere near the NYC region, and are barely coming into my area. KACY is gusting over 50 now, and the storm is at least 20 hours from landfall. What more do you guys want???

Couldn't agree more!

Archived