• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Isaac Storm Reports

Mississippi river up to 11.5 ft in New Orleans as of 9 pm CDT, thinking army corps dude flat out lied to the weather channel about river levels dropping.

http://water.weather...&output=tabular

Head of the Corps in NOLA was so confident this afternoon that it struck me. Thought at the time, "He better be freaking right or he's going to be working on ice jams in Alaska."

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head of the Corps in NOLA was so confident this afternoon that it struck me. Thought at the time, "He better be freaking right or he's going to be working on ice jams in Alaska."

I know right, their tone all day has been like their superman. I guess their boss told them to sound all strong and confident about everything.

Yet, it's been 7 years since katrina and they still haven't strengthened all the levees. $10 says if the Levees fail, the army corps will blame it on the other non-govt levees or whatever..

When they got all those $billions$ for the project from taxpayers, sitting on the money and taking their sweet ole time was key.

Mayor of Grand Isle on wwltv.com live says conditions are unbelievable..that gusts of 120mph have been reported. He and the firemen were trying to get out...but as of right now..they are unable to do so. Held up in community center that can withstand much higher winds so he says they are ok. He says if this is a cat 1, he sure doesn't want to see a cat 3.

Mayor of Grand Isle on wwltv.com live says conditions are unbelievable..that gusts of 120mph have been reported. He and the firemen were trying to get out...but as of right now..they are unable to do so. Held up in community center that can withstand much higher winds so he says they are ok. He says if this is a cat 1, he sure doesn't want to see a cat 3.

The NW quad of the eyewall went right over that area, so not surprising.

Yet Cantore keeps saying the river has dropped and is flowing out so they are fine. Weird.

I don't think he's actually seen the river drop, every time he looks for it he says he can't really see it, he said he saw it drop right after the conversation with the army corps so I think he saw what he wanted to see in that case. Data shows it's been rising continuously at New Orleans at least.

I honestly didn't catch the part about how the wind was measured. Sorry. He is non too happy though, says he and many of the firemen there have been through quite a few storms..and feels is/was stronger than what was predicted.

I'm not going to really comment other than to say my guess is this is what NHC was angling at with this storm in not bumping it up earlier. Aside of reports from non-mets (Mayor)...... this has fallen well within the range that NHC has been touting, JMHO

Didn't catch each model run over past 5 days, but seems to me the models performed well. Though storm didn't ramp up to Cat. 2, models showed it strengthening right up to landfall, stalling, and/or drifting west -- all of which happened. How many people really thought model runs would verify when they showed the eye would make it to the mouth of the Miss. and then just drift west, maintaining strenght? Almost no one.

The mayor didn't say the wind gust was measure in any scientific way, he just said the wind was so strong that it had to be gusting to "a hundred, hundred twenty miles an hour". It was his personal thought and opinion.

Right, That was just before the anchorman asked him if he was surrounded by water. Duh, it's an island.

It's probably likely at this point due to the continued westward movement that NO will not see hurricane winds from this storm and has yet again managed to avoid the "perfect storm" in terms of the eye coming right over them or just barely to the west. But, this will still be bad for them and hammer other locations like Plaq Parish.

Mississippi river up to 11.5 ft in New Orleans as of 9 pm CDT, thinking army corps dude flat out lied to the weather channel about river levels dropping.

http://water.weather...&output=tabular

I doubt it. Port Sulphur in Plaq Parish basically had a 13' levee on the west side of the river with just a 3 to 5' rise on the east bank of the river and then just marsh open to the Gulf. In contrast the river at New Orleans is less than 1/2 mile wide and constrained by high levees on both sides, a funnel where the inbound surge is somewhere nearby meeting all the outbound river water and runoff. So I could see how the constrained river in NOLA would (at least at some point) have a higher max surge than the relatively open ended Port Sulphur.

I expect river levels to surge in coming hours, the slow down between the past 2 obs probably represents the eye when some of the pressure on the Mississippi was relaxed. The eyewall is in the perfect position and the storm is stalled, much more conducive than a couple hours ago. Pilot station water level at 4.4 ft and winds gusting well over hurricane force, and the tide is coming in which will add another foot in coming hours. Shell Beach at 10.86 feet even though it's absolute low tide, tide starting to come in now which will eventually add 1.5 ft.

Archived