• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Isaac Storm Reports

Plaquemines totally flooded, those statements the army corps was making last night weren't right factually or morally... http://www.wwltv.com...27&ref=rcvidmod

Can you stop slandering the guy for a few days until we get all the facts and the real story? And maybe look at some maps.

I heard the interviews you are referring to, and the corp spokesman was specifically speaking about the Mississippi River levees, all of which have held so far. The overtopping in the east bank of Plaquamines Parish (with the rescues from flooded houses in Braithwaite) was over a non-federal levee on the east/swamp side that hadn't yet been improved. The interview you keep freaking out about was made after the mayor of Plaq Parish had reported splashover on the west side Miss. River levee into the west bank community bowl around Port Sulphur. The corp spokesman was saying that the storm surge from the east had peaked at that location and he was confident that the Miss. River levee would hold there, that the Miss River levees were constructed at a different time and in a different way. (That location was further south so there is not an equivalent east bank river levee at that location, at least nothing over 5', because there is no east bank community to protect that far south. That's why the surge blown in from the east was pressuring the Miss River levee on the west side of the river.)

Apparently now the west bowl (s?) of Plaq Parish south of the Oak St. floodgate (at the end of the canal that is about a mile south of the Naval Air Station New Orleans) to Venice is being evacuated. Not sure if the threat is from the Miss. River overtopping or (my guess) the shift in winds threatens to push surge eastward, against and maybe over the swamp levee on the west side of that bowl, nor who is responsible for that swamp side levee.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems too early to conclude how much (if much at all) that is a factor. How much can be attributed to the large size of Isaac, i.e. the Ike factor?

I will certainly grant that Isaac's unusually large wind field for a category 1 is a major factor, but I think the long term issue definitely is failure to restore the wetlands which will only lead to increased vulnerability in the future.

Hurricane Isaac has caused the levee to break at Port Louis/Guste Island near Madisonville, prompting St. Tammany Parish officials to start search and rescue operations in the area. In addition, search and rescue is under way in the Indian Village area south of Slidell.

Can you post where you got the info from? Thanks

My family is in the thick of it down in Long Beach, MS where we are lifelong residents. I'm in Jackson and we just started getting rain in the past few.

Mom is with elderly grandmother and has been out of power since this morning. Just called and said her cell is dying but she hasn't seen anything like the constant pounding they have been getting.

My dad and brother have gone out and gotten some videos in between the bad bands. Here are some links to them. One was earlier today when the storm surge was almost at it's peak. The other was just over an hour ago before this latest bad band came through.

First post, but y'all have been so helpful the past few days!

My family is in the thick of it down in Long Beach, MS where we are lifelong residents. I'm in Jackson and we just started getting rain in the past few.

Mom is with elderly grandmother and has been out of power since this morning. Just called and said her cell is dying but she hasn't seen anything like the constant pounding they have been getting.

My dad and brother have gone out and gotten some videos in between the bad bands. Here are some links to them. One was earlier today when the storm surge was almost at it's peak. The other was just over an hour ago before this latest bad band came through.

Could be the best first post of all time. Thanks and welcome.

Guessing it's this McDonalds, on US-90?

link (Google Street View)

WWLTV reporting levee has failed at Madisonville...lots of 911 calls coming in. Water rising substantially.

Lake Ponchartrain continues to rise, while surge at most other locations isn't - I wonder if it is rain runoff + surge?

http://tidesandcurre...tml?stn=8761927 New Canal Station, LA&type=Tide+Data

Note that that station is the SOUTH side of Ponchartrain at New Orleans - the areas flooding are north side, with no guages - it's likely the surge is far higher on the North side.

Can you stop slandering the guy for a few days until we get all the facts and the real story? And maybe look at some maps.

I heard the interviews you are referring to, and the corp spokesman was specifically speaking about the Mississippi River levees, all of which have held so far. The overtopping in the east bank of Plaquamines Parish (with the rescues from flooded houses in Braithwaite) was over a non-federal levee on the east/swamp side that hadn't yet been improved. The interview you keep freaking out about was made after the mayor of Plaq Parish had reported splashover on the west side Miss. River levee into the west bank community bowl around Port Sulphur. The corp spokesman was saying that the storm surge from the east had peaked at that location and he was confident that the Miss. River levee would hold there, that the Miss River levees were constructed at a different time and in a different way. (That location was further south so there is not an equivalent east bank river levee at that location, at least nothing over 5', because there is no east bank community to protect that far south. That's why the surge blown in from the east was pressuring the Miss River levee on the west side of the river.)

Apparently now the west bowl (s?) of Plaq Parish south of the Oak St. floodgate (at the end of the canal that is about a mile south of the Naval Air Station New Orleans) to Venice is being evacuated. Not sure if the threat is from the Miss. River overtopping or (my guess) the shift in winds threatens to push surge eastward, against and maybe over the swamp levee on the west side of that bowl, nor who is responsible for that swamp side levee.

I am aware of all these facts, I am not confused at the difference between Mississippi levees and Gulf levees nor about what happened. The corps guy said that water levels were dropping in Plaquemines during the eye of the storm and wouldn't increase, so there was nothing to worry about, which is not something you tell people before a 12 ft wall of water crashes through their town. Waters in both the river and the ocean increased for hours after he said that. He should be discharged or scrub toilets for the next few years since he may have killed people, and if he didn't he's lucky.

Twitter reports make it sound like scary times in Slidell - like this:

Eden Isles area of Slidell is experiencing intense flooding. People heading to the attics

According to topo maps and Google aerial photos & Streetview, Eden Isles are traditional homes (no stilts, many single story) waterfront at less than 10' in elevation with no levee protection. Guaranteed to flood repeatedly. Similarly sited new subdivision on the east side of I-10. How was the new subdivision allowed to be built in such an irresponsible place and manner? Was there a mandatory evacuation order here?

Friends in Bell Chase (Plaquemines) were rescued by jet ski this afternoon, we just were emailed.

I fear for Gulfport, we have no news from there and it has been destroyed worse than anywhere else on radar since late last night.

Madisonville levels at 10-12' and rising quickly, a gate is blocking their access to condos with lots of elderly (via WWL).

Friends in Bell Chase (Plaquemines) were rescued by jet ski this afternoon, we just were emailed.

I fear for Gulfport, we have no news from there and it has been destroyed worse than anywhere else on radar since late last night.

Madisonville levels at 10-12' and rising quickly, a gate is blocking their access to condos with lots of elderly (via WWL).

I could be mistaken, but I think TWC cuts to one of their mets at Gulfport on a regular basis standing out in the wind and rain. Haven't been listening really closely, but haven't heard of any dangerous situations.

I could be mistaken, but I think TWC cuts to one of their mets at Gulfport on a regular basis standing out in the wind and rain. Haven't been listening really closely, but haven't heard of any dangerous situations.

It's Paul Goodloe. He's been tweeting and posting pictures from along the Miss. coast:

http://twitter.com/Paul_Goodloe

EDIT: Oops, guess he hasn't tweeted anything for most of today. But he's been on the air at various points (though I haven't been watching closely).

Archived