• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

This is a privately owned forum. If someone comes across as disruptive to the conversation or majority of the community on a consistent basis then we have no problem with removing someone from a specific forum or the site altogether. We have rules in place, but some like to push things just far enough so that they technically follow the written "law" here, but continue to be intentionally disruptive. If we have someone purposely looking to troll that is more of a trouble maker than a contributor then please ask me why that person should be allowed to keep posting here? There's no regional bias either. Mid Atlantic people have gotten the heave ho just as often as anyone here. Heck Pete, you like to even troll your friends here in SNE. Most of it doesn't bother me, but sometimes even I do a double take at some of the things you type to those who average less snow than you.

Fair enough. Perhaps something can be lost in translation via text only as a way to communicate. One can't hear the inflexion in another's voice or see the subtleties of facial expressions. Brian, do you really think I believe that because I live at 1400' in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts I have some claim to King of Snowfall? Hardly. Perhaps relative to the surrounding areas I have a claim to being in a "snowy" area but let's be frank. there simply isn't a place on the east coast that really can claim astonishing snowfall. When Kevin and I throw barbs I don't believe either one of us sees them as anything but good natured ribbing. The same could be said of Scooter, LL, Messenger, even Scooby Doo. Do we occasionally cross the line of good taste? sure. Does anybody really hope their words are injurious to another member? Highly doubtful. The common thread that all of us seem to share is an inquisitive nature. You don't get interested in the weather to this extent without possessing one. Thinking people tend not to be the truly venomous. I would hope that by now your familiarity with me through my posts over the years would lead you to believe that I am a friendly person despite my sometimes prickly veneer. (decades in construction will do that.lol) I think I've done my time with regards to OT. You would have to assume that I will be on my best behavior once my privileges are restored.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Perhaps something can be lost in translation via text only as a way to communicate. One can't hear the inflexion in another's voice or see the subtleties of facial expressions. Brian, do you really think I believe that because I live at 1400' in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts I have some claim to King of Snowfall? Hardly. Perhaps relative to the surrounding areas I have a claim to being in a "snowy" area but let's be frank. there simply isn't a place on the east coast that really can claim astonishing snowfall. When Kevin and I throw barbs I don't believe either one of us sees them as anything but good natured ribbing. The same could be said of Scooter, LL, Messenger, even Scooby Doo. Do we occasionally cross the line of good taste? sure. Does anybody really hope their words are injurious to another member? Highly doubtful. The common thread that all of us seem to share is an inquisitive nature. You don't get interested in the weather to this extent without possessing one. Thinking people tend not to be the truly venomous. I would hope that by now your familiarity with me through my posts over the years would lead you to believe that I am a friendly person despite my sometimes prickly veneer. (decades in construction will do that.lol) I think I've done my time with regards to OT. You would have to assume that I will be on my best behavior once my privileges are restored.

I never understood why some folks do not get it. Weather is serious business!

there simply isn't a place on the east coast that really can claim astonishing snowfall.

I guess it depends on your definition of astonishing. Jay Peak claims (I know) over 350" a year and Mt Washington averages over 300" and in the Laurentides of Quebec they average 300" (even in this winter they've received 150"). That's well above the mean of most mountain locations elsewhere with the exception of the Cascades up to Alaska which receive the highest average snowfalls in the 5-600". Getting 2/3rds or 50% of that is pretty good and I'd consider that "ranking up there", IMHO.

Snowfall aside, on popular forums some people will get passes for behavior/comments that other people won't. I've seen it for years, especially on weather forums way back when there wasn't forums and we had newsgroups and the ne.weather group split into a moderated group because there were certain people that didn't like certain other people. It's all politics and I'm just glad that there's a place to read discussions about the weather.

Now back to the weather...

I guess it depends on your definition of astonishing. Jay Peak claims (I know) over 350" a year and Mt Washington averages over 300" and in the Laurentides of Quebec they average 300" (even in this winter they've received 150"). That's well above the mean of most mountain locations elsewhere with the exception of the Cascades up to Alaska which receive the highest average snowfalls in the 5-600". Getting 2/3rds or 50% of that is pretty good and I'd consider that "ranking up there", IMHO.

Snowfall aside, on popular forums some people will get passes for behavior/comments that other people won't. I've seen it for years, especially on weather forums way back when there wasn't forums and we had newsgroups and the ne.weather group split into a moderated group because there were certain people that didn't like certain other people. It's all politics and I'm just glad that there's a place to read discussions about the weather.

Now back to the weather...

I'm astonished by 1,100+" in a season. 200-300" while nice, seems fairly pedestrian when compared to the truly snowy places.

We are plenty lenient here so when the bannings come they are deserved. It probably won't be permanent, but he needs an extended time out. We want everyone to contribute and have a great experience here, but some prefer to be weenies or troll 24/7. It's not a constitutional right to be able to post here.

It was warranted he was warned multiple times just this past week and continued on

One last shot for a winter event next week I think. This week the trough is too far east - though it keeps us chilly much of the time. Next week the discontinuous retrogression might put it in the right place for a late season event. Then it probably ends up to the west of us and Spring really sets in a couple weeks from now. I saw Andy on FB (where he seems to hang out now) is interested in next week also.

Also MJO going from 8 to 1.....

37 and drizzle now. I bet it snowed over 2.5 k feet today, but not affecting many humans.

I'm astonished by 1,100+" in a season. 200-300" while nice, seems fairly pedestrian when compared to the truly snowy places.

Mt. Baker world record? Yes that would be astonishing

Anything over 500" in a season should qualify I think. Realize this is subjective however

Yeah, I would agree that a world record snowfall would be astonishing but it doesn't happen every year. Those places only average 5-600" which I guess isn't as astonishing. What do you consider astonishing for an average?

Personally I'd consider any place that can average 3-400" to be snowy and respectable since they can have depths in the 90 percentile of snowdepths. They've also had record seasons in the 4-500" range. 100", now that's pedestrian!

I think snowfall needs to be weighted based on the density of the snow (water to snow ratio). Someone needs to come up with a formula. :) I have no idea of the ratios in the snow where those huge totals are. But it just got me thinking about that.

As far as I'm concerned a 1 foot pasting of 10-1 snow from a Nor'easter equals about 30 inches of 30-1 ratio LES.... And after several days on the ground they are equal in depth.

Yeah, I would agree that a world record snowfall would be astonishing but it doesn't happen every year. Those places only average 5-600" which I guess isn't as astonishing. What do you consider astonishing for an average?

Personally I'd consider any place that can average 3-400" to be snowy and respectable since they can have depths in the 90 percentile of snowdepths. They've also had record seasons in the 4-500" range. 100", now that's pedestrian!

For the record, I don't know why SnowNH was banned but I don't think he's a bad guy.

I was once banned on a Canadian political forum, and the forum owners e-mailed the owner of the firm I work for. All on a rumor that I was part of a "cabal" of "pro-abortion American Democrats" that wanted to either control or ruin the forum.

Go figure.

P.S. - The rumor was a lie.

We are plenty lenient here so when the bannings come they are deserved. It probably won't be permanent, but he needs an extended time out. We want everyone to contribute and have a great experience here, but some prefer to be weenies or troll 24/7. It's not a constitutional right to be able to post here.

Does that mean you guys will unban me from ot, since I asked for the ban myself SEVEN MONTHS AGO? lol. Seriously, I've asked to be reinstated like four times

Baked

Does that mean you guys will unban me from ot, since I asked for the ban myself SEVEN MONTHS AGO? lol. Seriously, I've asked to be reinstated like four times

a) why do you assume guys are banning you? for all you know admin are eunuchs or women folk.

B) why would you ask for a banning? do something to really offend and earn it!

Archived