• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

Just getting back from being out all afternoon but it looks like BDL measured 0.3" (you prob already saw)....we got a coating here but no measurable...a whopping 0.04" of qpf.

It seems like so many systems this year have not been "clean" systems....very sloppy with the precip shields and forcing. Even the system that gave 6-10" to the interior N of the CT/MA border on 2/29-3/1 was really sloppy in its dynamics and strung out over 30 hours in multiple rounds. We haven't had a nice "easy" system to pin down heavy qpf since the October storm.

Anyone out near Norfolk get 3"+? Looked like they could have done ok as they were actually under decent echoes for longer than anyone else.

Yeah Norfolk had 3.4 for the jack

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those automated rain gauges never work that well.

The 4" cylinder is the way to go.

I've never found a automated gauge that measured correctly. The closest I found was a Rainwise 8" unit with a tipping gauge that I had 20+ years ago. I've found that the 4" Stratus (manual) is as close as you can get to the 8" NWS Co-Op ones (I used to be a co-op and did a comparison).

This morning was really interesting around here. I have around 1" when I measured but there was barely a coating in the center of town at 475'. I had to go up to my sugarbush in Union (about 1250') and pick up a sap tank up there and there was around 2.7" and the trees were all nicely covered. When I drove further north into Mass., there was less snow and nothing by the time I got to Palmer. I have no idea what they had earlier but it was interesting to see.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow night brings...

I've never found a automated gauge that measured correctly. The closest I found was a Rainwise 8" unit with a tipping gauge that I had 20+ years ago. I've found that the 4" Stratus (manual) is as close as you can get to the 8" NWS Co-Op ones (I used to be a co-op and did a comparison).

The 8-inch weighing gauge w/anti-freeze like ASOS has is the way to go. Of course that'll set you back $4,000, so perhaps that's overkill LOL. Using an HTIB is good enough for hobbyist use, but it tends to under measure precipitation especially when the heater is turned on or precipitation is heavier than an inch/hour, and requires frequent maintenance to keep its funnel clear of obstructions especially in the spring and summer.

huh...snownh got banned...just noticed

i was cold the entire day...had about 2-2.5hrs of snow, coated the grass in some places...but by 10am it was back to rain...then it was just cloudy and raw the rest of the day, and cold...i don't think i hit 40...then at sunset there was an abrupt clearing line coming in from the west...down to 32 already...wonder how low we go tonight.

i was cold the entire day...had about 2-2.5hrs of snow, coated the grass in some places...but by 10am it was back to rain...then it was just cloudy and raw the rest of the day, and cold...i don't think i hit 40...then at sunset there was an abrupt clearing line coming in from the west...down to 32 already...wonder how low we go tonight.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

How can you tell?

I have had him on ignore for months lol

ya i didn't think he was that bad. he didn't add alot to wx forecasting but ..50% here (usually me included) don't. He was a bit out there at time but had potential to be funny with some of his posts. but i don't really care much either way

nice to see you got a few hours of snow diane....

perhaps you'll have a few more early mon am

Both the Euro and GFS are advertising a brief period of cooler weather right around the 10th of the month then perhaps a brief 2 day warmup but it will remain to see if that does occur as the boundary will be very close to our north...maybe backdoor potential? Anyways though it doesn't appear if we will be seeing an April similar to March temp. departure wise.

I have mine calibrated right on the money with my 4" manual gauge. For 0.50-1.00" events they're usually only a couple hundredths difference at most.

Just curious, do you have that compensated in the software or on the unit? I have an online station that I use for informational purposes only and I've noticed how far off the precip can be and thought about calibrating it that way but then I thought it would be off the more precip that falls. Just wondering how you compensated for this.

FWIW, I think there are some solutions that are less than buying an ASOS level station. RM Young makes several types of highly accurate weather instruments including two types of rain gauges. Yes, they are about $600 each, but you get what you pay for. For now I have a 4" tipping and manual gauge. I'm waiting till I hit the lottery to get fully pro weather instruments!

Just curious, do you have that compensated in the software or on the unit? I have an online station that I use for informational purposes only and I've noticed how far off the precip can be and thought about calibrating it that way but then I thought it would be off the more precip that falls. Just wondering how you compensated for this.

FWIW, I think there are some solutions that are less than buying an ASOS level station. RM Young makes several types of highly accurate weather instruments including two types of rain gauges. Yes, they are about $600 each, but you get what you pay for. For now I have a 4" tipping and manual gauge. I'm waiting till I hit the lottery to get fully pro weather instruments!

I have the unit calibrated to my 4" gauge. Even in summer downpours it's close enough for my standards. In winter all of my liquid equiv is melted down from a core so I don't bother with a gauge heater since I don't like them anyways.

Nothing against snow but when you openly joke about murdering someone at the next gtg everything else after that is secondary. I'm sure he's a great fellow but the mods have to draw a line somewhere.

Anyway, this winter sucked.

I think that was a long time ago? Why was he banned now? I think there is alot of subjective bannings which are not entirely justified. This is a loosely moderated forum and thank goodness for that!

I think that was a long time ago? Why was he banned now? I think there is alot of subjective bannings which are not entirely justified. This is a loosely moderated forum and thank goodness for that!

Jerry I agree and I'm sure it was harmless but in this day and age you don't say things like that even in joking. Snownh probably never meant it that way and I'm not sure what triggered the banning.....

Threats of physical violence shouldn't be tolerated at that level. Again no disrespect to snownh but the mods should have removed it instantly. MRG can't wish phineas happy snow without getting a few day rip.

Anyway moving on !

We are plenty lenient here so when the bannings come they are deserved. It probably won't be permanent, but he needs an extended time out. We want everyone to contribute and have a great experience here, but some prefer to be weenies or troll 24/7. It's not a constitutional right to be able to post here.

Jerry I agree and I'm sure it was harmless but in this day and age you don't say things like that even in joking. Snownh probably never meant it that way and I'm not sure what triggered the banning.....

Threats of physical violence shouldn't be tolerated at that level. Again no disrespect to snownh but the mods should have removed it instantly. MRG can't wish phineas happy snow without getting a few day rip.

Anyway moving on !

I have never made a sexist, homo-phobic, or racist post nor have I ever threatened violence against anyone and yet I am banned from the OT section as well as the MA sub-forum. There is not a single post that I have made that has been actionable. To the contrary, I have been a real supporter of AMwx both as a contributor of obs and "donator" to the cause. I am a full participant and have gone out of my way to meet my fellow SNE members (something that I have found to be a very enriching experience). The level of cronyism here threatens the long term vitality of this endeavor. I should at least have a way to appeal my exceedingly harsh and unwarranted sanctions but even that reasonable expectation is not available. If it weren't for the fact that I have made so many good friends here I would long ago have ceased all participation. If the staff has any conscience they would rescind their Draconian judgements against me. I await their more measured approach to my status.

I have never made a sexist, homo-phobic, or racist post nor have I ever threatened violence against anyone and yet I am banned from the OT section as well as the MA sub-forum. There is not a single post that I have made that has been actionable. To the contrary, I have been a real supporter of AMwx both as a contributor of obs and "donator" to the cause. I am a full participant and have gone out of my way to meet my fellow SNE members (something that I have found to be a very enriching experience). The level of cronyism here threatens the long term vitality of this endeavor. I should at least have a way to appeal my exceedingly harsh and unwarranted sanctions but even that reasonable expectation is not available. If it weren't for the fact that I have made so many good friends here I would long ago have ceased all participation. If the staff has any conscience they would rescind their Draconian judgements against me. I await their more measured approach to my status.

This is a privately owned forum. If someone comes across as disruptive to the conversation or majority of the community on a consistent basis then we have no problem with removing someone from a specific forum or the site altogether. We have rules in place, but some like to push things just far enough so that they technically follow the written "law" here, but continue to be intentionally disruptive. If we have someone purposely looking to troll that is more of a trouble maker than a contributor then please ask me why that person should be allowed to keep posting here? There's no regional bias either. Mid Atlantic people have gotten the heave ho just as often as anyone here. Heck Pete, you like to even troll your friends here in SNE. Most of it doesn't bother me, but sometimes even I do a double take at some of the things you type to those who average less snow than you.

What the heck!

Probably a poor April fools joke. It is on the wcvb.com site.

We walked diwn there. At least one mailbox still had the baggies. Not sure why they were left. Also, a car plowed into the front yard of our friends house, shutting down the main road through town.

Things like this dont happen in Dorchester.

(And people have been reporting a mountain lion again...ugh)

Archived