joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Obs/Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fog didn't appear to be as bad this morning when driving into work. Only hit a few low areas where it was thick. That said, it sure feels juicy outside. Looks like we may get 2 nights early next week with lows dipping into the upper 30s....refreshing.

Little fog here. Should be into full sun almost immediately. 80s here we come.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to what might cause this kind of signal in temperature and humidity overnight?

Interesting part is that there was no wind and lots of fog this morning. I live on the lee side of the Catoctin ridge. I'm a little stumped.

http://www.wundergro...p?ID=KMDFREDE27

Did other stations nearby report similar temperatures/dew points?

Second 80 of the year.

77 here in Clarendon. I am so close to turning on the A/C. Also, where is the heavy yellow pollen coating? It has been warm for so long it seems like everything would be covered in visible pollen by now.

My oaks have just started dropping their initial gutter-clogging parts, the maples aren't doing anything, and I guess the pines aren't doing much either (they make the yellow pollen as far as I know).

My oaks have just started dropping their initial gutter-clogging parts, the maples aren't doing anything,

Odd...it's the complete opposite in my neighborhood. Maples are sprouting shedding crapola fast and furious and the oaks are still totally dormant.

Different varieties of each in our yards?

Our maples were active over a month ago, but they haven't resumed anything as far as I can tell.

Upon further inspection, they do have little green tips coming out.

DCA: 81, IAD and BWI: 80

81.0 here. Impressive that we can hit the low 80s in March w/o any wind at all. Nice in the shade, but if you are doing something active in the sun, it feels like summer.

Upon further inspection, they do have little green tips coming out.

DCA: 81, IAD and BWI: 80

81.0 here. Impressive that we can hit the low 80s in March w/o any wind at all. Nice in the shade, but if you are doing something active in the sun, it feels like summer.

Anyone know if the rate at which trees bloom correlates with sun angle/duration. Or is it tied only to temperature?

It's actually largely sun and then combined with temperatures. If this warmth were first apparent in mid-April, they'd shoot out. It takes longer for them to emerge this early in the season.

Yeah it's mostly the sun that turns them on and off and the temp can jump star them a little early or hold them back. Elevation plays a role too as does the type of tree. I think a Bradford Pear would bloom in January if the temps were warm.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to what might cause this kind of signal in temperature and humidity overnight?

Interesting part is that there was no wind and lots of fog this morning. I live on the lee side of the Catoctin ridge. I'm a little stumped.

http://www.wundergro...p?ID=KMDFREDE27

Yes I saw that. Driving over Braddock Heights it was about 5 seconds from 1/4mi visibility to clear. Very thin foggy/inversion layer.

Archived