joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Obs/Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only warning I can give on weatherlinkIP is that if you've previously had it running through the computer, you will miss the rapidfire and being able to set your intervals. 15 minutes was too long for me, but I obsessively check it. The big advantage of course is to not have to rely on a PC. Can't tell you how annoyed I get when Microsoft reboots after an update and the program doesn't load correctly upon startup.

I use VWS software to send out my data to CWOP and update my website. VWS tends to crash or quit updating at the worst times...usually in the middle of the night or on the first day of a weeks vacation. It's frustrating when you can't get anyone interested enough to go and reboot it for me...lol...especially the wife or kids when I'm out of town. I guess they just don't see the need to have it running 24/7 like a true weather enthusiast. :(

Watching you tube videos tends to crash VWS for some reason too. Other times it will run for weeks without locking up..go figure.

I think it's time for a new computer though.

Technically the solar panel on the Davis doesn't charge the battery. It juices up a capacitor which provides short term power. When it depletes on say cloudy days or at night, the battery provides backup power. They can run 6-9 months on just the battery. Mine is in the shade a lot during winter and I have to replace the battery in that time frame.

As far as placement, the radiation shield should handle normal solar heating....just don't put it on your roof above the shingles..

I have had my VP2 in the yard for five-and-a-half years and it has worked flawlessly. I've never lost signal, nor have I had to change the battery. I am fortunate that I have a good siting with full southern exposure year-round.

The white circle in the top-left center of this pic is where the unit is located. Its more than twice the distance of the height of all surrounding objects. The small circle on the roof of the house is the mount for the anemometer, which rises 7' above the pinnacle of the roof to achieve the 10m. The only time I get cheated somewhat is on an ENE wind, when the tall tree to the right of the front of the house seems to shield the wind somewhat.

post-116-0-16623400-1331844589.jpg

I have had my VP2 in the yard for five-and-a-half years and it has worked flawlessly. I've never lost signal, nor have I had to change the battery. I am fortunate that I have a good siting with full southern exposure year-round.

The white circle in the top-left center of this pic is where the unit is located. Its more than twice the distance of the height of all surrounding objects. The small circle on the roof of the house is the mount for the anemometer, which rises 7' above the pinnacle of the roof to achieve the 10m. The only time I get cheated somewhat is on an ENE wind, when the tall tree to the right of the front of the house seems to shield the wind somewhat.

Amazing on the battery life. The VP 2 itself has never failed me, running since August of 2006. It's the VWS software that's buggy. I usually get a low battery warning way before the VP 2 quits. The data is stored in the weather link dongle inside the console and it automatically downloads into VWS when I reboot after a lockup. I've never lost data except when it crashes right at midnight, then it doesn't save the daily file right. I have to go in and edit the data file.

By the way, nice pool, but a lot of grass to cut.

Looking back at the index behavior this past winter really shows how the NAO overwhelmed any chance at winter. This winter as a whole will go down as a record + NAO winter. Here a good look at how stubborn the NAO was:

There are a couple recent years that are similar: 82-83, 93-94 (best match), 94-95, and 99-00. All 4 featured warm Marches except 94. 94 was just normal temp wise in the east during March.

Interestingly, 2 out of the 4 following Aprils were much below normal, one was normal, and one was pretty warm (1994). The composite of the 4 years looks like this:

It's hard to forecast anything other than a warm April because we haven't had a cooler than normal month since October but if we did have a cool April it really wouldn't surprise me. Not just because of what these analogs show either. I can't remember exact years but I've been duped into thinking warmth would be continuous in Spring only to be slapped by long stretches of dreary 50's.

Looking back at the index behavior this past winter really shows how the NAO overwhelmed any chance at winter. This winter as a whole will go down as a record + NAO winter. Here a good look at how stubborn the NAO was:

There are a couple recent years that are similar: 82-83, 93-94 (best match), 94-95, and 99-00. All 4 featured warm Marches except 94. 94 was just normal temp wise in the east during March.

Interestingly, 2 out of the 4 following Aprils were much below normal, one was normal, and one was pretty warm (1994). The composite of the 4 years looks like this:

It's hard to forecast anything other than a warm April because we haven't had a cooler than normal month since October but if we did have a cool April it really wouldn't surprise me. Not just because of what these analogs show either. I can't remember exact years but I've been duped into thinking warmth would be continuous in Spring only to be slapped by long stretches of dreary 50's.

Bob,

Great analysis. Based on the best match (93-94), that is an interesting analog that produced a very cold winter for the eastern US even with a very positive +NAO in DJF. The big difference there was the intense consistant aluetian ridging. So i guess, NAO in conjunction with the WPO/EPO sealed the fate for this winter! Below is the upper air anomaly at 500 mb for that year:

compday.4.21.70.254.75.10.58.3.gif

Archived