joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Obs/Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

question about thermometer siting...should it always be placed in shade? I have a Davis VantageVue running about 8 degrees to warm...in March? Geez, I hate to see what it would do in July! Perhaps I'm getting some radiation from a wooden fence although I can't imagine 2.5 feet away would get that much radiation. Davis said this thing could be roof mounted...I think not! It's very accurate but obviously not in the sun. Thoughts?

80 up here. Just broke out the shorts and sandals.

I've been in Orlando this week and the local news said DC will be warmer than Orlando most of this week and that peak cherry blossoms will happen by end of March. I still wouldn't complain about the weather here. :) Looks like I need to get my thermometer re-sited if I want accurate summer temps! Mine showed 89F when I looked. Most FDK obs are about 81 or 82.

Oops! We're not getting anywhere near the forecast high of near 80 today with the clouds and storms that we've been getting all day so far. I see they updated for a lower high now.

It's been rumbling all day with one storm after another. Nothing severe since this morning though. I've got 1.34" in the gauge with another storm approaching. Reports of flooding in the counties south of me. The creeks here have been up and down getting near bank full with this mornings deluge.

question about thermometer siting...should it always be placed in shade?  I have a Davis VantageVue running about 8 degrees to warm...in March?  Geez, I hate to see what it would do in July!  Perhaps I'm getting some radiation from a wooden fence although I can't imagine 2.5 feet away would get that much radiation.  Davis said this thing could be roof mounted...I think not!  It's very accurate but obviously not in the sun.  Thoughts?

If you have a good solar radiation shield, you don't need to have it in the shade.  I just set up my PWS (KMDFREDE27) yesterday and it is running about 2 degrees hot I think.  I bought a better solar shield to use, but since it only came in the mail yesterday I haven't had a chance to install it.

Are you KMDFREDE26 ?

edit: This is what I bought http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html Hope it makes a difference for me

question about thermometer siting...should it always be placed in shade? I have a Davis VantageVue running about 8 degrees to warm...in March? Geez, I hate to see what it would do in July! Perhaps I'm getting some radiation from a wooden fence although I can't imagine 2.5 feet away would get that much radiation. Davis said this thing could be roof mounted...I think not! It's very accurate but obviously not in the sun. Thoughts?

No, it definitely should be in the sun. It has a radiation shield and it needs the solar panel to charge the battery. What is your temp?

DCA: 80

IAD: 82

BWI: 71

Mine 82.6°

Daily maxes so far

IAD: 82

BWI: 71

DCA: 80

Is there a frontal boundary north of here or is that just wind based?

Wind off of the Bay. You can see it in the PWSs up to about Columbia and then it tails off. E @ 13 at BWI.

edit - Actually, there a fairly pronounced wind change well out to sea. Looks like there is a trough of some sort.

Technically the solar panel on the Davis doesn't charge the battery. It juices up a capacitor which provides short term power. When it depletes on say cloudy days or at night, the battery provides backup power. They can run 6-9 months on just the battery. Mine is in the shade a lot during winter and I have to replace the battery in that time frame.

As far as placement, the radiation shield should handle normal solar heating....just don't put it on your roof above the shingles..

Technically the solar panel on the Davis doesn't charge the battery. It juices up a capacitor which provides short term power. When it depletes on say cloudy days or at night, the battery provides backup power. They can run 6-9 months on just the battery. Mine is in the shade a lot during winter and I have to replace the battery in that time frame.

As far as placement, the radiation shield should handle normal solar heating....just don't put it on your roof above the shingles..

Good info, thanks.

If you have a good solar radiation shield, you don't need to have it in the shade.

Are you KMDFREDE26 ?

No, it definitely should be in the sun. It has a radiation shield and it needs the solar panel to charge the battery. What is your temp?

I am KMDFREDE26 on wunderground. I checked over lunch and it was 89F. Max shows it hit 90.5 today. This appears to be very accurate for me on cloudy days, winter sun, and nights. It has the radiation shield but many have said it only helps a tad. The Pro has the fan which helps a lot more. But like you said...the panel is needed for the capacitor. Perhaps the fence is providing too much radiation as opposed to it being in the middle of my yard? That is one problem with townhouses...move one place to get better temps and you risk incorrect rain estimates cause of potential splash off trees. Here is a pic from November (yes that is a palm...while most of this board wishes for cold, I've given into reality that our winters aren't really that cold. 3 winters already :))

a507e594.jpg

I am KMDFREDE26 on wunderground. I checked over lunch and it was 89F. Max shows it hit 90.5 today. This appears to be very accurate for me on cloudy days, winter sun, and nights. It has the radiation shield but many have said it only helps a tad. The Pro has the fan which helps a lot more. Back like you said...I need the solar panel. Perhaps the fence is providing too much radiation as opposed to in the middle of my yard. That is one problem with townhouses...move one place to get better temps and you risk incorrect rain estimates cause of potential splash off trees. Here is a pic from November (yes that is palm...while most of this board wishes for cold, I've given into reality that our winters aren't really that cold. 3 winters already :))

a507e594.jpg

I like your set up there. I am wanting to get a station this spring/summer and mount it off of my deck that is be installed. Will keep this in mind.

I like your set up there. I am wanting to get a station this spring/summer and mount it off of my deck that is be installed. Will keep this in mind.

Thanks. Like I said before, never go by my wind measurements. I'm really protected back here especially from northerly winds. I got this for about $260 + $29 for the bracket. The plastic piece of garbage Weather Channel is $100. not even close in my opinion.

I am KMDFREDE26 on wunderground. I checked over lunch and it was 89F. Max shows it hit 90.5 today. This appears to be very accurate for me on cloudy days, winter sun, and nights. It has the radiation shield but many have said it only helps a tad. The Pro has the fan which helps a lot more. But like you said...the panel is needed for the capacitor. Perhaps the fence is providing too much radiation as opposed to in the middle of my yard. That is one problem with townhouses...move one place to get better temps and you risk incorrect rain estimates cause of potential splash off trees. Here is a pic from November (yes that is palm...while most of this board wishes for cold, I've given into reality that our winters aren't really that cold. 3 winters already :))

Can't say for sure, but the fence probably isn't helping. If I take your solar panel to be facing south, the sun will be beating on both the fence and the dark mulch, and convection will send that upward. Obviously it depends on your HOA/neighbors and your own personal taste, but I think I'd put it a little over the fence height to get it more in the free air. If that isn't a thing, you might be able to concoct something to angle the station a little away from the fence.

I am KMDFREDE26 on wunderground.  I checked over lunch and it was 89F.  Max shows it hit 90.5 today.  This appears to be very accurate for me on cloudy days, winter sun, and nights.  It has the radiation shield but many have said it only helps a tad.  The Pro has the fan which helps a lot more.  But like you said...the panel is needed for the capacitor.  Perhaps the fence is providing too much radiation as opposed to it being in the middle of my yard?  That is one problem with townhouses...move one place to get better temps and you risk incorrect rain estimates cause of potential splash off trees. Here is a pic from November (yes that is a palm...while most of this board wishes for cold, I've given into reality that our winters aren't really that cold.  3 winters already :))

a507e594.jpg

Very nice. It's possible that the fence is providing some of the extra heat that you are seeing. I'm looking forward to having mine up long enough to determine when it is acting funny. Hopefully, since I have it mounted away from everything it will be pretty accurate. The only wind obstruction is the house and a magnolia tree nearby

I am KMDFREDE26 on wunderground. I checked over lunch and it was 89F. Max shows it hit 90.5 today. This appears to be very accurate for me on cloudy days, winter sun, and nights. It has the radiation shield but many have said it only helps a tad. The Pro has the fan which helps a lot more. But like you said...the panel is needed for the capacitor. Perhaps the fence is providing too much radiation as opposed to it being in the middle of my yard? That is one problem with townhouses...move one place to get better temps and you risk incorrect rain estimates cause of potential splash off trees. Here is a pic from November (yes that is a palm...while most of this board wish for cold, I've given into reality that our winters aren't really that cold. 3 winters already :))

No wonder its running hot. You need to raise it higher so that the radiation shield (white circle thing below the anemometer) is ABOVE the fence line and in good wind flow. If the air is stagnant around the sensor it will run hot. It will also help with your rain collection as the rain drops won't be deflected by the fence.

BTW are you using the weaherlinkIP or the USB cable straight from the console to upload your obs?

I ask because because I have an original Vantage Pro (kickin' it old school) and within the past month or so the compactor has gone bad. Problem is that I am at college and I can't maintain the station every week. I'm thinking of replacing it with a vue with a weatherlink IP so the computer doesn't have to be on 24/7 while I'm gone.

No wonder its running hot. You need to raise it higher so that the radiation shield (white circle thing below the anemometer) is ABOVE the fence line and in good wind flow. If the air is stagnant around the sensor it will run hot. It will also help with your rain collection as the rain drops won't be deflected by the fence.

BTW are you using the weaherlinkIP or the USB cable straight from the console to upload your obs?

I ask because because I have an original Vantage Pro (kickin' it old school) and within the past month or so the compactor has gone bad. Problem is that I am at college and I can't maintain the station every week. I'm thinking of replacing it with a vue with a weatherlink IP so the computer doesn't have to be on 24/7 while I'm gone.

The only warning I can give on weatherlinkIP is that if you've previously had it running through the computer, you will miss the rapidfire and being able to set your intervals. 15 minutes was too long for me, but I obsessively check it. The big advantage of course is to not have to rely on a PC. Can't tell you how annoyed I get when Microsoft reboots after an update and the program doesn't load correctly upon startup.

The only warning I can give on weatherlinkIP is that if you've previously had it running through the computer, you will miss the rapidfire and being able to set your intervals.  15 minutes was too long for me, but I obsessively check it.  The big advantage of course is to not have to rely on a PC.  Can't tell you how annoyed I get when Microsoft reboots after an update and the program doesn't load correctly upon startup.

That happened to me this morning. Tonights check list includes adding in the software to my computers startup routine to make sure it reopens the programs needed.

That happened to me this morning. Tonights check list includes adding in the software to my computers startup routine to make sure it reopens the programs needed.

Yeah, that is an important thing to do. On mine, I'd say it starts up correctly maybe 75% of the time now, but for whatever reason it will occasionally still miss. Sometimes when I notice the update I'll just install and force it down rather than wait for the automatic reboot.

82.4 after a high of 83.5. Really impressive for March 15th.

USB from console to a dedicated computer. I too thought 15 min was too long plus I understand certain data like wind gusts are not sent via the IP. Def go with USB if you can.

I've been in Orlando this week and the local news said DC will be warmer than Orlando most of this week and that peak cherry blossoms will happen by end of March. I still wouldn't complain about the weather here. :) Looks like I need to get my thermometer re-sited if I want accurate summer temps! Mine showed 89F when I looked. Most FDK obs are about 81 or 82.

I heard on the radio this a.m. that peak for the blossoms in DC is now expected between March 20th-23rd. That has to be the earliest I can ever recall.

I heard on the radio this a.m. that peak for the blossoms in DC is now expected between March 20th-23rd. That has to be the earliest I can ever recall.

I think 2000 (18th) is earliest since they kept records but 1990 was the 15th for peak.

Archived