joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday night super clipper

Ji

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so I don't instantly get label as a deluded super weenie...lol...no, I don't think we will see any accum snow out of this. I was just intrigued by the 18z gfs. I liked the look and if you want to get a widespread 2-4+ clipper event in the I95 corridor, it would need to do exactly what the gfs is showing.

You have to admit, those mini clips I posted look pretty nice. Reality or fantasy? I'll go with the latter.....for now....

Just so I don't instantly get label as a deluded super weenie...lol...no, I don't think we will see any accum snow out of this. I was just intrigued by the 18z gfs. I liked the look and if you want to get a widespread 2-4+ clipper event in the I95 corridor, it would need to do exactly what the gfs is showing.

You have to admit, those mini clips I posted look pretty nice. Reality or fantasy? I'll go with the latter.....for now....

I see it as something to watch, if only because it's what we do around here

but to get serious, the surface low would have to be modeled by GFS/Euro combo to go through central VA and qpf would have to be >.25"

it "might" trend that way, especially since it continues to look so dang healthy on the GFS, but it ain't there, that's for sure

The two best recent (relatively speaking) clippers that I know of for our area (as a whole) are March 99 and January 2002 (a surprise clipper that dropped 3-4" in the area ).

I don't remember 99 at all, but here is the LWX map of it

http://www.erh.noaa....nts/Mar9-99.GIF

March '99 definitely wasn't a clipper (low started in California, not Canada), but yeah, Jan '03 was definitely an overperformer. Last real nice overperforming clipper we had was back in 12/07-- can still hope for a fluke I guess.

I see it as something to watch, if only because it's what we do around here

but to get serious, the surface low would have to be modeled by GFS/Euro combo to go through central VA and qpf would have to be >.25"

it "might" trend that way, especially since it continues to look so dang healthy on the GFS, but it ain't there, that's for sure

absolutely. Just something to watch. qpf for clippers is so darn tricky that I don't even worry about that part @ d4+.

Once the vort is over land it will be better sampled by the models.....i love weenie phrases.

March '99 definitely wasn't a clipper (low started in California, not Canada), but yeah, Jan '03 was definitely an overperformer. Last real nice overperforming clipper we had was back in 12/07-- can still hope for a fluke I guess.

Ah, whoops, thanks. :) Like I said I don't remember 99, but the LWX write up referred to it as a clipper, so that's what I always thought it was.

And yeah, I meant 03, heh.

I guess another way of saying the "fluke" idea is that it is actually very difficult for a season to dodge less-than-ideal events left and right and end up with as little snow as we've had. (Third lowest is an extreme event) "Fluke" would describe a specific scenario, but looking at an entire season, it's still a better bet to say we'll have one more event....even if it ends up being a sloppy 1" snow behind a dynamic cold front that melts two hours later on March 30th.

Why did people buy into this thing? It's already gone. This winter is over and was over in November.

this airmass isn't even winter-like...feels like early april outside...hard to imagine getting snow in this type of a pattern, or at least a decent snow, which is what i'd rather have over these nickel and dime trace events. if we're only gonna get a trace then i'd rather just have spring arrive and call it a winter (or 6 months of fall).

The good news for those hoping for a super clipper is that there is still a model showing a good strip of .25-.5 precip running just south of DC.

The bad news is that the temps are probably to warm for anything but some mangled flakes.

The even worse news is the fact that it's the DGEX. :D

Well that's not exactly true. I only took a quick glance at the GFS ens. members, but a few of those look OK. I won't be shocked if the models bring this back and start showing something interesting. I won't be shocked if they don't.

Archived