joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday night super clipper

Ji

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the euro has enough a signal to think it's meaningful. if it has a tendancy to miss a bit on something it's an event like this.

I agree here. The euro does not hone in on clippers well at all until the lead time is shorter. I can't remember specific examples but it's best to follow the gfs with these types of events (at this range anyway).

I know the 18z gfs can't be counted on but that is a pretty believable setup. Not believable in the sense that it's going to happen, believable in the sense of the evolution of the system is realistic. Plenty of systems in the past have evolved exactly like the gfs is showing. God bless it would be nice if the thing does pop a surface low east of the apps. That's one of the only ways to get decent accum snow with a clipper unless the vort is all jazzed up enough to survive the wall of denial to our west.

the euro has enough a signal to think it's meaningful. if it has a tendancy to miss a bit on something it's an event like this.

That's encouraging.

What is the top end for a clipper around here? I know they usually disappoint, but surely in the past there have been some that overperformed.

That's encouraging.

What is the top end for a clipper around here? I know they usually disappoint, but surely in the past there have been some that overperformed.

3-5" would be the absolute best case scenario I think. Pretty much have to have a surface low pop east of the apps and that's what caught my eye with the latest gfs.

IIRC- when you get a strong vort and a deepening surface low you can get into some really good rates on the nw side of the low. We would want the vort to pass over DT's house and the 850 low to form around ezf or so.

Edit: I'm posting best case for mby. You're a good bit south and west of me so I'm not sure what it takes for your area to get good snows from a clipper. Probably something similar just a bit further south.

surely in the past there have been some that overperformed.

The two best recent (relatively speaking) clippers that I know of for our area (as a whole) are March 99 and January 2002 (a surprise clipper that dropped 3-4" in the area ).

I don't remember 99 at all, but here is the LWX map of it

http://www.erh.noaa....nts/Mar9-99.GIF

3-5" would be the absolute best case scenario I think. Pretty much have to have a surface low pop east of the apps and that's what caught my eye with the latest gfs.

IIRC- when you get a strong vort and a deepening surface low you can get into some really good rates on the nw side of the low. We would want the vort to pass over DT's house and the 850 low to form around ezf or so.

Edit: I'm posting best case for mby. You're a good bit south and west of me so I'm not sure what it takes for your area to get good snows from a clipper. Probably something similar just a bit further south.

this has got 3/8/84 written all over it :weenie:

p.s. I remember it well, actually, but just not certain it was the snow on the 8th of March, 1984 that was the clipper that blew up giving BWI 4"+ and PHL 8"+ because there were a few other snows that month

Actually Bob, I'm at almost the same lat as Baltimore, so I'm a little further north than you, but am a good bit west. Hopefully if any low does form, I'd be close enough to get in on some snow.

I am ready for spring, but like the typical addict, I'd like to see one more snow.

Actually Bob, I'm at almost the same lat as Baltimore, so I'm a little further north than you, but am a good bit west. Hopefully if any low does form, I'd be close enough to get in on some snow.

I am ready for spring, but like the typical addict, I'd like to see one more real snow.

fixed

p.s. thunder....lovely

Archived