• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new NAM abandons the GFS/18z NAM idea with that system above ND. Looks like the 12z Euro now

It's really not even close to the GFS with a 24 hour forecast...one of these models is dead wrong. At 30 hr on the 18z run the GFS had the shortwave north of Montana hooking back west and actually had a closed H5 contour for a brief period.

The NAM looks nothing like it...and the Euro was similar to what the NAM was showing.

The wild card now becomes the energy diving over western Montana. If the shortwave north of the Intl border tries to hook up with that, it could end up looking like the SREF-type deal. But without the H5 trough north of Montana at 24 hours looking like the GFS says it will -- you won't get the GFS bomb.

It's really not even close to the GFS with a 24 hour forecast...one of these models is dead wrong. At 30 hr on the 18z run the GFS had the shortwave north of Montana hooking back west and actually had a closed H5 contour for a brief period.

The NAM looks nothing like it...and the Euro was similar to what the NAM was showing.

The wild card now becomes the energy diving over western Montana. If the shortwave north of the Intl border tries to hook up with that, it could end up looking like the SREF-type deal. But without the H5 trough north of Montana at 24 hours looking like the GFS says it will -- you won't get the GFS bomb.

I think it's toast to be honest. The NAM just came around to the Euro. I'm not sure really what just happened/how.

It's possible the energy coming down through MT can make a difference but I doubt it. Pretty glaring errors inside of 24 hours.

Glad they did the data ingest off the west coast, real helpful.

I think it's toast to be honest. The NAM just came around to the Euro. I'm not sure really what just happened/how.

It's possible the energy coming down through MT can make a difference but I doubt it. Pretty glaring errors inside of 24 hours.

So let me get this straight..you're doing a 180 because of the NAM?

Are you talking about the whole threat? :unsure:

I think it's toast to be honest. The NAM just came around to the Euro.

It came around big time at 36 hours now. Pull up ewall and compare the 36 hr NAM and 42 hr GFS from 18z...really not terribly far off at all. Might have just been a timing difference. But now you have a strengthening shortwave crossing the international border in Eastern Montana at 12z Friday.

The Euro had this shortwave/trough axis over Iowa already. Not close.

suggested nam /euro collusion assuming you didn't read that

Yeah I guess I sort of ignored that part of it. I just think it's tough to call a threat dead when you have so much inconsistency and a decent amount of spread/uncertainty in the ensembles of the GFS and Euro. This suite will be telling that's for sure. I just wouldn't get to worked up over the NAM in its extended range.

It came around big time at 36 hours now. Pull up ewall and compare the 36 hr NAM and 42 hr GFS from 18z...really not terribly far off at all. Might have just been a timing difference. But now you have a strengthening shortwave crossing the international border in Eastern Montana at 12z Friday.

The Euro had this shortwave/trough axis over Iowa already. Not close.

These are the posts Kev hates, me too, geezus let it play out.

Archived