• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat (Part 2)

OKpowdah

Phil has the best shot pretty clearly. The question will be does this do what the last one did and end up kind of far SE (like 200-300 miles SE of the BM). I think it's got a good shot of getting close to the BM...at least enough to give him a good poke.

Dude what the hell are you talking about? You're basing this claim off of 1 run of the gfs.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough interaction with all the s/w's so it goes to show you how tough it is, to get those earlier GFS runs. Even after all the guidance comes in, it really wouldn't change my opinion one way or another.

It looks so disjointed at 500mb...and quite unstable. I highly doubt the final solution ends up like that. It looks like a razors edge type solution.

It looks so disjointed at 500mb...and quite unstable. I highly doubt the final solution ends up like that. It looks like a razors edge type solution.

Yeah it's got all sorts of little strung out areas of higher vorticity down south, probably because of some convection. That could play a part too. This thing should have a ton of convection

It looks to me like the Ukie and GGEM are totally different evolutions...they let the northern stream run ahead of it and then try to amplify the southern stream by itself behind it. Ukie only out to 72 so not sure how it would do later on, but the GGEM at 96h is hitting the M.A....I think it would be too far south of us once 108h comes out.

GGEM came north......thru 96 so it could possibly make a closer pass. Northern energy is further west, southern energy is SSE of it. Slower, probably has a shot at going closer than the GFS.

That northern energy is totally different than the one we've been following on the GFS and NAM...go back and look at 60h and 72h...it flies way ahead of the southern stream.

That northern energy is totally different than the one we've been following on the GFS and NAM...go back and look at 60h and 72h...it flies way ahead of the southern stream.

Yeah, by 96 hours it's way, way slower...so something is amiss again.

UKMET was also slower, More NCEP problems? It's getting a little silly now that there are such sharp differences at 48-72 hours. Right now the NCEP models are the fast outliers.

This is from New England Weather works....regarding the newer run of the GFS and the NOAA G4 recon data report...which tells of a different story about the track..ie which brings a major snow event to the Northeast...read on!

G4 hurricane hunter aircraft reconnaissance data used for the 0z GFS has helped iron out some of the wrinkles, The GFS is still showing a Major snow event in the North East on SUN and MON showing Snow making it as Far North as Southern New England. With this added data from the G4 Hurricane Hunter air Craft we are becoming Much more confident that an event is now possible for the North East. Waiting on the EURO before making a forecast.

This is from New England Weather works....regarding the newer run of the GFS and the NOAA G4 recon data report...which tells of a different story about the track..ie which brings a major snow event to the Northeast...read on!

G4 hurricane hunter aircraft reconnaissance data used for the 0z GFS has helped iron out some of the wrinkles, The GFS is still showing a Major snow event in the North East on SUN and MON showing Snow making it as Far North as Southern New England. With this added data from the G4 Hurricane Hunter air Craft we are becoming Much more confident that an event is now possible for the North East. Waiting on the EURO before making a forecast.

I'm not real sure the data is helping. Time will tell...but the 0z GFS is way faster than the two other globals we have right now. So either it got data others didn't, or it used that data very differently.

Man that cornea looks classic. Herpes simplex with a prominent epithelial lesion. Classic dendrite.

Joe yep big tick north. It's great that we're seeing the entire solution cone come into better agreement. Anyone have the later ukmet? Curious if that went Ggem.

I remember one other time where the gfs was extreme and it was discarded. It's just so much slower. Is this a case of the flight data really making an impact?

It is basically like the Nam and GGEM.

Yeah, by 96 hours it's way, way slower...so something is amiss again.

UKMET was also slower, More NCEP problems? It's getting a little silly now that there are such sharp differences at 48-72 hours. Right now the NCEP models are the fast outliers.

That chart still shows wave interference with the N stream though

ggem almost had to come north it was so suppressed, ukmet went south a little..........seems like besides the 0zgfs guidance is clustering just south of our area, hopefully the euro will look more like the 12z mean. Its been a brutal year, trying to find positives in all of this

ggem almost had to come north it was so suppressed, ukmet went south a little..........seems like besides the 0zgfs guidance is clustering just south of our area, hopefully the euro will look more like the 12z mean. Its been a brutal year, trying to find positives in all of this

I made a joke out of it in that early post but this is pretty much what I thought would happen. Gist: fun runs collapse a bit... It's exact. sucks.

Not sure where this goes from here, but this depiction of a trough over the Rockies with a narrow ridge in the middle, and an attempt at a meridional link up in the E is very suspect. Particularly when the whole thing is progressive while its doing so?

Those earlier UKMET and GFS runs were fun...perhaps even plausible, but when too many thing have to be perfect that's asking a lot for D4.5

I made a joke out of it in that early post but this is pretty much what I thought would happen. Gist: fun runs collapse a bit... It's exact. sucks.

Not sure where this goes from here, but this depiction of a trough over the Rockies with a narrow ridge in the middle, and an attempt at a meridional link up in the E is very suspect. Particularly when the whole thing is progressive while its doing so?

Those earlier UKMET and GFS runs were fun...perhaps even plausible, but when too many thing have to be perfect that's asking a lot for D4.5

I am sick of pressing my nose against the window looking at the floodlight trying to manufacture fantasy dendrites out of putrid airmasses and poorly amplified, shredded vorticies that somehow defy logic and deamplify as they approach the coast. I have hope for this system, especially since after this weekend things are not looking particularly wintery to say the least. At least down here, the clock is ticking, sure March features shorter wavelengths and potential cutoff s and anything can happen.............but the general vibe this winter has left me, says it better snow Sunday.

Archived