• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat (Part 2)

OKpowdah

I figured we could start a new thread before the 00z runs.

In summary,

The GFS now has three runs (00z, 12z, and 18z today) with a significant snow storm in New England.

The 12z UKMET leaned in that direction.

The Euro and Canadian want no part of it.

The 12z Euro ensembles are NW of the operational run.

The NAM is close but no cigar.

To reiterate what I and others have been saying in the last thread, there is a multitude of shortwaves interacting in the flow and subtle differences in their handling in the short term can have large ramifications down the road. This is what can be described as a bifurcation of the forecast solutions.

For reference, here's a comparison of the s/w's positioning and orientation on the 12z Euro and 12z GFS:

Comparing to the first post of the thread, I've labeled the shortwaves on today's 12z Euro and 12z GFS, valid 15z Saturday (the same as the original in the first post)

EURO:

post-128-0-95669300-1329335433.png

GFS:

post-128-0-21366000-1329335441.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREFs are north of 15Z but appear as if it would be a miss for most north of the northern MA again.

I know, but were talking about the SREFs in late range here. They are notoriously known for being less amped and SE late in their range (with coastals)

IMO, with their BIAS, they look and feel amped. Look at that ridging at H5 in the plains too. That's a pretty damn good signal at 87 hours. And the trend NW continues as well...

I know, but were talking about the SREFs in late range here. They are notoriously known for being less amped and SE late in their range (with coastals)

IMO, with their BIAS, they look and feel amped. Look at that ridging at H5 in the plains too. That's a pretty damn good signal at 87 hours. And the trend NW continues as well...

What the hell?

How does a 87 hour SREF show n of the MA not in the game,Man IDK how

The pattern is ripping east at 500mb and is progressive from the Pacific to the Midwest, by the time the two systems phase that SLP over HAT would be long gone, that low is moving with a heading of roughly 070 from 81-87 hours, not NE or NNE.

How does a 87 hour SREF show n of the MA not in the game,Man IDK how

I think they'd be in the game on that..maybe not a direct hit, but the mean already has 0.10" to just SW of NYC by hour 87 and with a low west of HSE and traveling ENE, that probably is a hit for Philly and perhaps to NYC...I think we'd probably get scraped in SNE with the outer crap. The bulk of it on that would probably be interior MD though.

But this is the 87h SREFs and extrapolating it is a trivial exercise IMHO anyway.

I think they'd be in the game on that..maybe not a direct hit, but the mean already has 0.10" to just SW of NYC by hour 87 and with a low west of HSE and traveling ENE, that probably is a hit for Philly and perhaps to NYC...I think we'd probably get scraped in SNE with the outer crap. The bulk of it on that would probably be interior MD though.

But this is the 87h SREFs and extrapolating it is a trivial exercise IMHO anyway.

Not to mention the spread.

Impressive signal for high snowfall totals somewhere on the east coast. For the srefs to show this at hour 87 shows someone will be seeing a lot of snow. Usually at 87 hours they hardly have probs. Again...this is fwiw, I know its 3.5 days out. Also, I don't know if I was looking at a different 15z run, but 15z looked north of this to me.

f12s87.gif

Impressive signal for high snowfall totals somewhere on the east coast. For the srefs to show this at hour 87 shows someone will be seeing a lot of snow. Usually at 87 hours they hardly have probs. Again...this fwiw, I know its 3.5 days out. Also, I don't know if I was looking at a different 15z run, but 15z looked north of this to me.

f12s87.gif

I think you basically just made that up.

Archived