• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main point of the post was to illustrate the point that at 36 hours, the Euro was already hundreds of miles farther south and east..and progressive..with the northern stream feature.

True, and the Euro is a few hundred miles further NE over the Baja region. The NAM is burying the system deep.

I just don't buy the NAM solution outside of the first 12-18 hours..in that time it dumped even what it was doing at 18z in terms of the first feature coming down into the Dakotas. Later it's weaker at 48 than it was earlier...and the Euro solution had a weaker northern component. Overall I'm not saying the outcome is identical by any means, but we're seeing a shift away from the earlier solution.

EDIT Point being at 50-60 the euro had another s/w diving towards Idaho..NAM doesn't see that at all...instead has ridging.

Cool but the flip flopping of it looks like the Euro, it looks like the GFS is aggravating.

It's got similar handling to the Euro in the upper MS valley at 54h, but at the same time look over MT. There's no kicker at all on the NAM, has ridging in that area. Kind of surprised we're still seeing this much model diversity but we may not feel that way at 1am afte rthe full suite is in.

Timing is everything. I almost feel like the NAM is going to leave the southern wave behind.

The NAM does look similar to the GFS in its handling of the energy near Hudson Bay...it enters the picture far enough west so that it can phase into the southern stream shortwave. That could be key as well in getting a more explosive solution.

Timing is everything. I almost feel like the NAM is going to leave the southern wave behind.

its the nam but you'll be able to tell on the GFS very early too. Without the m/l sw tightening for a bit as it approaches the Dakotas Thursday the entire complex is able to sneak forward too much, as a result by the time everything starts riding towards the MS Valley the trough is top heavy and there's no way to get the southern s/w up here.

The middle s/w is smashed this run too, but that's a function of the lack of strength in Canada. It's a big move towards the Euro. I'm sure there will still be more compromise in later models tonight, but that change in handling towards the Euro on that one feature which comprises the major portion of the top of the trough is troubling.

Very true, but JMHO it loses what it takes to make a huge GFS type bomb very early in the run...inside of 12-24 hours. So we'll see how others handle it. Doesn't mean we can't have something else...I think we all realized the GFS was the far left outlier.

Yeah we all should know that by now. Without extreme phasing of the many s/w in the pattern, a gfs-esque solution won't play out. Still very possible for SNE to get into the action however. I'm actually anxious to see what the gfs says here at 0z. If its still insisting on an ultra phased solution, we are probably going to have to really get down to the nitty gritty of how it's handling everything and whether there any validity to it. But, that all remains to be seen.

Archived