e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw the Euro ensemble spaghetti charts and I think more than half of them are a hit. The OP run is near the flat end of the envelope...so its encouraging. I think I posted yesterday that about a third of the ensembles were pretty good and 2/3rds were't...it def seems to be trending better.

I literally just watched someone skip out of the office after he said how "psyched he was that it was mid- February and that we have pretty much gone the whole winter without a major snow storm".

:facepalm:

I'm not going to get my hopes up so many days out, but the back of my brain is alwways going to hope.

those are the times I wish I had a paint button, just dump a bucket of paint on their heads at the click of a button. Here's your fooking sunny and dreary

I think he means because it's pretty amped up and he wants better snow/banding etc.

Yeah, but that's looking at one model verbatim. We don't know if this is heading to ACK or Bermuda, and right now the mean of all model guidance is OTS and eastern MA is smoking cirrus. I want this showing amped up even if I was getting sleet verbatim. At hr96, we just want signs of everything coming together. Worry about banding and QPF and temp profiles inside 48 hours.

:lol: right because the GFS is what verifies regardless. The GFS backing off = no storm for New England, which yes includes your backyard.

96 hours out is not the time for IMBY posts

Dude, the post was half joking....one thing I have noticed since you have started forecasting is that you can be a hair condescending at times.

You seemingly think you're omnipotent from time to time....the difference between a budding meteorologist and someone a bit more seasoned like Will.

Yeah, but that's looking at one model verbatim. We don't know if this is heading to ACK or Bermuda, and right now the mean of all model guidance is OTS and eastern MA is smoking cirrus. I want this showing amped up even if I was getting sleet verbatim. At hr96, we just want signs of everything coming together. Worry about banding and QPF and temp profiles inside 48 hours.

I know..lol, I just think he was commenting on the run.

Anyways, should be an interesting 24-48 hrs.

Dude, the post was half joking....one thing I have noticed since you have started forecasting is that you can be a hair condescending at times.

You seemingly think you're omnipotent from time to time....the difference between a budding meteorologist and someone a bit more seasoned like Will.

I really don't think that way, and sorry if I come off that way.

I kind of agree. Sam is very smart but has an attitude thats less than welcoming.

I kind of agree. Sam is very smart but has an attitude thats less than welcoming.

Not seeing that guys, Sams cool, Just looked at Euro Ens, sort of has that 96 appeal, huge envelope storm?

very very similar to the GFS. Subtle differences in the short term become huge down the road.

Notice the clear bifurcation in the forecast by hr60. The GFS subsumes the vortex lobe, and the NAM does not. Consequently the NAM is unphased and suppressed. So massive sensible weather differences from very small disagreement early on.

Not that it's really worth analyzing the NAM at hr 84, but is part of the reason it remains flat based on the strength of the west coast s/w? GFS has a way stronger s/w with a 32s^-1 vortmax around Portland whereas the NAM just has a few weak in shortwaves..one in Montana, one in Washington, and one in Idaho.

I think the operational runs are still pretty useless at the moment...given the ensemble spread, but hopefully over the next 2 runs they should become a lot more important.

This isn't a case either where we are waiting for an operational run to show a hit either...we've had some hits and some scrapers already on the OP runs. Right now we are at the mercy of some very difficult s/w interactions that cannot be predicted well at all. The speed of the northern stream continues to be the biggest issue and the one that would likely cause this to be a whiff.

NBD....I know you mean well and it has more to do with age than persona.

Will has said he was like that in college, too...not a bad analog.

I kinda get in a "zone" when we have these storm threats. I'm really not that kinda guy with an ego and all.

Anyway, 18z GFS rolling out soon. Let's see if we're getting snow haha

I kinda get in a "zone" when we have these storm threats. I'm really not that kinda guy with an ego and all.

Anyway, 18z GFS rolling out soon. Let's see if we're getting snow haha

I agree and the fact that you didn't lash out and were open to constructive criticism is a great illustration of that.

The EURO ens seem like yesterday's 12z run.

Archived