joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS becomes a more reliable model IMO once inside around 108 hours and it becomes even more reliable inside 96, often times inside that time if the Euro shows something else I tend to side more with the GFS, especially if it has the ensemble support. I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 events where the GFS showed something way more west and juiced than the other models at this range and if I recall correctly it was right every time. I hope its wrong this time though, I know most people in this forum though want it to be right.

So it's position in the SE at 96 hours is correct, amplitude and position wise. I never understood this argument for any model.

THE LATEST RUN OF THE ECMWF CONTROL MODEL THAT JUST CAME OUT HAS A KU FOR NEXT WEEKEND. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!! IT PRODUCES A BLIZZARD FOR EVERYONE FROM DC TO BOSTON AS IT BRINGS THE LOW FROM THE GULF COAST ON SATURDAY TO THE DELMARVA ON SUNDAY MORNING AND BOMBS IT THERE TO A 978MB, THEN ONLY SLOWLY MOVES IT ENE FROM THERE ALMOST DUE EAST, KEEPING US IN THE HEAVY DEFORMATION BAND FOR THE ENTIRE DAY ON SUNDAY!! TOTAL PRECIP IS NEAR 2 INCHES AND 850'S ARE BELOW FREEZING FROM DC TO BOSTON THE ENTIRE TIME OF THE STORM. THE ONLY AREA CLOSE BY THAT GETS ABOVE FREEZING AT 850 IS EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN NJ ALONG THE COAST FOR A SMALL TIME PERIOD.

Seeing someone mentioned this a few pages back, Might have been Steve

Dryslot...Your from Lewiston I see..I'm from Augusta...What are ya thinking for Our neck of the woods..If this comes to...not surprised to see a good 1-3' feet around here with massive blowing and drifting and power outages from the wet snow...amazing ....978mb near ack and 971 i believe in the gulf of Maine..this will be lucky if its out of here by late Monday-Tuesday...phenominal!

Dryslot...Your from Lewiston I see..I'm from Augusta...What are ya thinking for Our neck of the woods..If this comes to...not surprised to see a good 1-3' feet around here with massive blowing and drifting and power outages from the wet snow...amazing ....978mb near ack and 971 i believe in the gulf of Maine..this will be lucky if its out of here by late Monday-Tuesday...phenominal!

:weenie: dude really?

I remember storms that were at the BM and the death band nailed you, Brian, Dendrite, Pete of similar makeup.

Yeah deformation band and mid level frontogenesis are associated with the mid level features. If the H5 trough is broad and begins to close off...it can lead to a more expansive deformation band..ala Feb 2006. Yet, you can have compact bombs like 12/26/10 and 1/12/11 where the H7 goodness is closer to the actual low center. Seeing things like a back bent warm front at 700mb is usually a big clue as to where the best banding will be.You don't necessarily have to see a closed low center...you actually want a kink in the isopleths as that signifies some sort of a front where frontogenesis may occur. That's a mechanism to force the air upwards and cause bands of heavy snow. This happened across the Boston area on 12/26/10. You had the coastal front, but you had very strong frontogenesis from 950-850mb near the canal. That helped force that second QPF max near the city and on south.

:lmao: :lmao:

Yeah deformation band and mid level frontogenesis are associated with the mid level features. If the H5 trough is broad and begins to close off...it can lead to a more expansive deformation band..ala Feb 2006. Yet, you can have compact bombs like 12/26/10 and 1/12/11 where the H7 goodness is closer to the actual low center. Seeing things like a back bent warm front at 700mb is usually a big clue as to where the best banding will be.You don't necessarily have to see a closed low center...you actually want a kink in the isopleths as that signifies some sort of a front where frontogenesis may occur. That's a mechanism to force the air upwards and cause bands of heavy snow. This happened across the Boston area on 12/26/10. You had the coastal front, but you had very strong frontogenesis from 950-850mb near the canal. That helped force that second QPF max near the city and on south.

12/26/10 Ryan's favorite storm ever, uh not, lol

I'm only using this as an example, but look at the front on the 700mb prog. It's no coincidence, that strong lift is occurring there. These are the features that people should look at in combo with QPF. QPF might say 8-12" of snow, but in reality, I might think 12-16" in my head...knowing that feature is there. We all know what happened to the Berks and up into NH on 10/29/11.

post-33-0-22698200-1329356437.gif

I'm only using this as an example, but look at the front on the 700mb prog. It's no coincidence, that strong lift is occurring there. These are the features that people should look at in combo with QPF. QPF might say 8-12" of snow, but in reality, I might think 12-16" in my head...knowing that feature is there. We all know what happened to the Berks and up into NH on 10/29/11.

post-33-0-22698200-1329356437.gif

What site is this map from? UNISYS?

Archived