• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

00z suite tonight will be close to final outcome as we will be about 48 hours away from "nowcasting" the storm and about 72 hours away from the start of the storm in SNE.

Lol, nice you got high standards -

I'd say now casting starts 12 hours in advance, or anytime such that an entire cycle of model run can take place before the storm is set to begin - obviously relative location to location in the path of the given event.

The reason for this is that we have seen some pretty impresses verification bust as near in as a 36 hour lead model suite.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS showing those sort of bombs off the NJ and SNE coasts with open 500mb trougs and nothing remotely closed makes no sense to me, either its too strong on the lows or its completely out to lunch, because if anything the models typically play catch up at the surface from 500mb, not the other way around. You sometimes see closed lows and SLPs that seem to weak at 72-96 hours, not open systems at 500 and 978mb lows...well you do, its just usually winds up being wrong.

The GFS showing those sort of bombs off the NJ and SNE coasts with open 500mb trougs and nothing remotely closed makes no sense to me, either its too strong on the lows or its completely out to lunch, because if anything the models typically play catch up at the surface from 500mb, not the other way around. You sometimes see closed lows and SLPs that seem to weak at 72-96 hours, not open systems at 500 and 978mb lows...well you do, its just usually winds up being wrong.

It's possible the GFS is high as a kite for sure. I'm not even sure the 00z runs will clarify much..unless maybe we see big jumps in either direction. I think it's just best to wait and see....it's still not the best looking 500mb pattern across the CONUS, but I don't buy a low going east of CHS either. I hope people keep their feelings in check for now. Too early to really get fired up.

I dunno, we've seen plenty of storm lows hugging the coast without a closed 5h trough...just look at Vday 2007...the GFS 5h trough is pretty close to being closed off anyhow as it goes south and then east of New England.

That doesn't mean I think it will verify but I could probably go back and find many storms that failed to technically close off on the 60dm level at 500mb that still were potent...as long as its neg tilt and a strong vortmax you are usually good to go.

Going to need to see more then just the GFS before i buy into this, Others are trending in the right direction but not to the GFS extent, Right now it would have to be considerd the western outliar

The dead giveway is the fact that it's the furthest west ;)

We will see in the details tonight but I think flat/out to sea is out the window. As I said earlier...the Euro can su** it. It's getting it's hat handed to it by the GFS with the handling of the initial stages up in BC and central Canada. WV only continues to hammer that point, as does the RUC as it pertains to the 500mb features. Don't care about the GEFS, control run of the JMA, WTF the FIM says, whether DT has raised a grade 3 ALEET, or anything else.

We're going to see a big storm just not sure it gets much beyond the BM.

The GFS becomes a more reliable model IMO once inside around 108 hours and it becomes even more reliable inside 96, often times inside that time if the Euro shows something else I tend to side more with the GFS, especially if it has the ensemble support. I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 events where the GFS showed something way more west and juiced than the other models at this range and if I recall correctly it was right every time. I hope its wrong this time though, I know most people in this forum though want it to be right.

We will see in the details tonight but I think flat/out to sea is out the window. As I said earlier...the Euro can su** it. It's getting it's hat handed to it by the GFS with the handling of the initial stages up in BC and central Canada. WV only continues to hammer that point, as does the RUC as it pertains to the 500mb features. Don't care about the GEFS, control run of the JMA, WTF the FIM says, whether DT has raised a grade 3 ALEET, or anything else.

lol, Thats the part that i don't like

A solution like the euro op is probably as likely as the 18z GFS at this stage, imo. Both are outliers, but I think the euro op may be too far se. Of course the euro ensembles are crap for us as well and have the better chance of coming closer to the final result, but I'm specifically talking about the euro op. If I were to guess..and it's a WAG, but something in between the 18z GEFS and 12z EC ensembles would be a starting point imo. It doesn't mean much to this region verbatim, but I think that's a fair guess right now and a starting point. Adjust from there as the time nears.

The GFS becomes a more reliable model IMO once inside around 108 hours and it becomes even more reliable inside 96, often times inside that time if the Euro shows something else I tend to side more with the GFS, especially if it has the ensemble support. I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 events where the GFS showed something way more west and juiced than the other models at this range and if I recall correctly it was right every time. I hope its wrong this time though, I know most people in this forum though want it to be right.

That's a good point as well.

I'm indifferent, Euro is right I get nothing, GFS right I get rain. I'm thinking the GFS is probably overdone as it's had a tendency to be too far left as of late in most situations. The OP Euro...out to lunch I think. I don't know how/why but the OP run seemed to have some serious issues up top near BC. I guess it's possible it does go as far west as the GFS/UK want it to go, but I have a hard time buying that completely at this stage figuring that the chances they are totally correct at this range are zero, and I have a harder time thinking it's off 100-150 miles too far SE.

lol, Thats the part that i don't like

Plenty of time for this to cut over BGM.

Lol at Messenger getting his weenie on.

Piss poor when I'm the most optimistic one. Ginx is out overseeding his lawn, Kev is at home crying looking at pictures of his sculpted snowbanks at this time last year, SnowNH is in a tree outside Kev's living room.....it's just not good.

A solution like the euro op is probably as likely as the 18z GFS at this stage, imo. Both are outliers, but I think the euro op may be too far se. Of course the euro ensembles are crap for us as well and have the better chance of coming closer to the final result, but I'm specifically talking about the euro op. If I were to guess..and it's a WAG, but something in between the 18z GEFS and 12z EC ensembles would be a starting point imo. It doesn't mean much to this region verbatim, but I think that's a fair guess right now.

I really have no idea either it's just a hunch. I think we do see a bigger, wetter, meaner low, I just don't know if it's going to go full latitude so early which allows it all to get slung up towards the New England area. It's been a long time since that's happened. But I do think the Euro had a big bobble today and just flat out blew the features around BC. Not sure why.

I'm indifferent, Euro is right I get nothing, GFS right I get rain. I'm thinking the GFS is probably overdone as it's had a tendency to be too far left as of late in most situations. The OP Euro...out to lunch I think. I don't know how/why but the OP run seemed to have some serious issues up top near BC. I guess it's possible it does go as far west as the GFS/UK want it to go, but I have a hard time buying that completely at this stage figuring that the chances they are totally correct at this range are zero, and I have a harder time thinking it's off 100-150 miles too far SE.

Plenty of time for this to cut over BGM.

Piss poor when I'm the most optimistic one. Ginx is out overseeding his lawn, Kev is at home crying looking at pictures of his sculpted snowbanks at this time last year, SnowNH is in a tree outside Kev's living room.....it's just not good.

I really have no idea either it's just a hunch. I think we do see a bigger, wetter, meaner low, I just don't know if it's going to go full latitude so early which allows it all to get slung up towards the New England area. It's been a long time since that's happened. But I do think the Euro had a big bobble today and just flat out blew the features around BC. Not sure why.

:lmao:

Man this is going to be a paste bomb if this comes true.... model 2m temps are likely way to warm in this situation but this is not a powder storm, lol. H85s just below freezing and SFC temps of 30-32F.

24" of stout base refresher to lay the ground work for the powder bombs of late Feb/March works for me.

Archived