Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can't get snow, might as well be 60s-70s all the time, IMO. Next winter can't be worse - I average 25 inches of snow a year, and have about 7.5 so far.

You'll get 60s and 70s for a couple months and then it gets uncomfortably hot 80s, 90s, 100s? I'm now expecting a record hot spring and summer to follow, it would only make sense after a record warm winter.

sea breeze be kickin in, although for late FEB this is not that bad:

as of 6pm..

NYC: 50/37 VAR 5mph

LGA: 48/37 S 17mph

JFK: 46/39 S 20mph

Dews have come up significantly in the past few hours as well, probably a function of the sea breeze.

Not bad, more like amazing. I've seen mid May nights colder than right now.

This probably explains some of that..

The buoy at the entrance to NY Harbor recorded water temps of 46F at 3pm and is now sitting at 45F (with an air temp of 47F, high 49F).

Last year on this date, the water temp was between 38 and 39F, and even TWO years ago the water temp was between 38 and 40F.

This is buoy 44065 (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/44065.html).

You'll get 60s and 70s for a couple months and then it gets uncomfortably hot 80s, 90s, 100s? I'm now expecting a record hot spring and summer to follow, it would only make sense after a record warm winter.

2nd year La Nina summers are not kind to this portion of the country in general. I expect a decent chance this will be a cool and wet summer, the last 2 summers following back to back La Nina winters were cool and wet, those being 1989 and 2000. The previous one before that was 1975 and that was also a relatively cool summer. No guarantees that we'll see that this time, especially given the relatively dry winter nationwide which can have a tendency to enforce a feedback towards a warmer pattern but I still feel we'll see one of the cooler summers in the last 6 or 7 years.

Looks like the NAM and GFS are playing catch up to the CMC/UKMET for Friday's storm... the 18z NAM had low 60s, but with this trend for a slower/colder storm, temperatures might not even pass 50 degrees. At this rate, the storm could even start out as a brief period of snow/sleet in Orange county and southern CT before the rain starts.

Just peered at a current snow cover map for NY and New England...if I did not see the date...my guess would be that it was a May 1st map...give or take a week or so.

This probably explains some of that..

The buoy at the entrance to NY Harbor recorded water temps of 46F at 3pm and is now sitting at 45F (with an air temp of 47F, high 49F).

Last year on this date, the water temp was between 38 and 39F, and even TWO years ago the water temp was between 38 and 40F.

This is buoy 44065 (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/44065.html).

How will this affect this summers sea breeze during heat waves? Or possible record breaking warm waters?

2nd year La Nina summers are not kind to this portion of the country in general. I expect a decent chance this will be a cool and wet summer, the last 2 summers following back to back La Nina winters were cool and wet, those being 1989 and 2000. The previous one before that was 1975 and that was also a relatively cool summer. No guarantees that we'll see that this time, especially given the relatively dry winter nationwide which can have a tendency to enforce a feedback towards a warmer pattern but I still feel we'll see one of the cooler summers in the last 6 or 7 years.

Summer of 2009 was brutally cool--rained the whole month of June, cool dry July and then a muggy August. Hopefully we are not as bad as that.

-

I do have to aagree with fact that it's been dry--unless march gets wet in a hurry, the feedback could help us stay warmer.

Archived