Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long range on the GFS is cold. I want spring to come.

Weenie storm

gfs_namer_264_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Yep, a period of cold has been modeled for a few runs now. I suppose we could get something then, but I'm not expecting anything this winter. Still want to see something major before we end winter - but can't complain too much if we don't.

It's actually been showing a threat around the 1st for the past couple days, on an off. Either way it looks like a potential cold shot and maybe a storm. Still 10 days away so I'm not remotely buying it yet

Goes to show how awful this winter is. But at least we have a GFS fantisy storm at 264. Probibly only the second or third fantisy storm seen this season.

It's actually been showing a threat around the 1st for the past couple days, on an off. Either way it looks like a potential cold shot and maybe a storm. Still 10 days away so I'm not remotely buying it yet

Chances are it will eventually be a day or two of normal or slightly below normal temps followed by a return to the torch. Looks like temps this week could get into the low 60s NYC and points south.

Chances are it will eventually be a day or two of normal or slightly below normal temps followed by a return to the torch. Looks like temps this week could get into the low 60s NYC and points south.

If that happens the all time February avg high temp record is a lock

If that happens the all time February avg high temp record is a lock

We've had ONE neg departure day and only 3 days with a high temp below 40F. Two days with a low below 30F and only 7 days with a low 32 or lower. Just. Unreal.

It's not like it's been super warm, we have just been in the 40s/50s with a few days in the 60s for like 3 straight months now. I've never seen anything like this.

now that you said that we better make sure not to put the snow plows away.... :snowing:

I admit I laughed when you went for a snowless or less than one inch February in Central Park...but you may have the last laugh...

We've had ONE neg departure day and only 3 days with a high temp below 40F. Two days with a low below 30F and only 7 days with a low 32 or lower. Just. Unreal.

It's not like it's been super warm, we have just been in the 40s/50s with a few days in the 60s for like 3 straight months now. I've never seen anything like this.

It really has been incredible -- the longest stretch of 40/50 degree high temperatures I can remember. Given we'll probably see the 40s/50s for another couple months, that's 6-7 months of the same weather.

Just think - folks on the West coast deal with this all the time. The past 7 months have confirmed to me even more that I'd go crazy living in the West - the weather's too mundane and routine.

Another thing about this winter is the very warm nights. I don't recall so many nights with temps barely slipping below freezing. It's like we progressed to mid November, then hit a brick wall in terms of the decline into winter. I can count on my one hand the number of times I've worn my arctic/ski jacket, ie., the full ensemble, hat, gloves, boots etc. The times I've worn shorts and a t shirt is about 10X that.

At least on the bright side, we're at a latitude where even our warmest winter on record is still chilly and a break from the warm months.

It really has been incredible -- the longest stretch of 40/50 degree high temperatures I can remember. Given we'll probably see the 40s/50s for another couple months, that's 6-7 months of the same weather.

Just think - folks on the West coast deal with this all the time. The past 7 months have confirmed to me even more that I'd go crazy living in the West - the weather's too mundane and routine.

Another thing about this winter is the very warm nights. I don't recall so many nights with temps barely slipping below freezing. It's like we progressed to mid November, then hit a brick wall in terms of the decline into winter. I can count on my one hand the number of times I've worn my arctic/ski jacket, ie., the full ensemble, hat, gloves, boots etc. The times I've worn shorts and a t shirt is about 10X that.

At least on the bright side, we're at a latitude where even our warmest winter on record is still chilly and a break from the warm months.

Even in the Monadnocks of Southern NH at over 1000', it's been in the 40s most days. Temperatures seem to be climbing much faster than expected given 850s due to the lack of snow cover in the area as well as to the NW over the Great Lakes and Plains. The past few days, we've had 850s slightly below 0C but still made it into the 40-45F range...the stronger sun angle is also starting to have a great impact on a barren landscape as well. We haven't had many chilly nights in the teens at all, just a continual blowtorch and very very dry.

I was rereading the threads on Boxing Day, the December 2010 cold outbreak, looking at photos of 1/27 in Dobbs Ferry...sad times these are. Starting to think the winter is nearly over given the -PNA pattern showing up with limited blocking in the long range.

Even in the Monadnocks of Southern NH at over 1000', it's been in the 40s most days. Temperatures seem to be climbing much faster than expected given 850s due to the lack of snow cover in the area as well as to the NW over the Great Lakes and Plains. The past few days, we've had 850s slightly below 0C but still made it into the 40-45F range...the stronger sun angle is also starting to have a great impact on a barren landscape as well. We haven't had many chilly nights in the teens at all, just a continual blowtorch and very very dry.

I was rereading the threads on Boxing Day, the December 2010 cold outbreak, looking at photos of 1/27 in Dobbs Ferry...sad times these are. Starting to think the winter is nearly over given the -PNA pattern showing up with limited blocking in the long range.

Yeah it's been a complete and utter disaster of a winter for most of the North American continent. What's the least snow on record for your area - I'm sure this year's up there. Usually in many of our crappy winters, central and northern New England still get buried. Not the case this year - even the Lake effect zones have been cheated due to the lack of strong lows pulling down arctic air behind them. It's been a benign, zonal regime with a spattering of weak short waves - nothing real energetic or powerful. Polar opposite to the intense nor'easters of the previous 2 winters.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bookend type monster in mid/late March or April. I say mid march or later b/c the pattern continues to look like garbage in the coming 3 weeks with no high latitude blocking and a north pacific favoring the Western US.

I wonder if DC's cherry blossoms are starting to bud. The earliest I see on their list is February 13th for 1998. The latest date (since 1992) is 2003, on March 17th, which makes sense given that was a cold, blockbuster late winter.

http://www.nationalc...ut/bloom-watch/

I heard they started budding a couple weeks ago at least. Not surprising as almost all the trees around here are budding as well. Assuming no major arctic outbreaks going forward (let's say sustained temps below 25F), I imagine the beginnings of the leaf-out can't be too far away. Sometime in mid March at this point. In the city we didn't go totally bare until after Christmas, so that's just 2.5 months of bare trees. Those are deep south type stats there.

Yeah it's been a complete and utter disaster of a winter for most of the North American continent. What's the least snow on record for your area - I'm sure this year's up there. Usually in many of our crappy winters, central and northern New England still get buried. Not the case this year - even the Lake effect zones have been cheated due to the lack of strong lows pulling down arctic air behind them. It's been a benign, zonal regime with a spattering of weak short waves - nothing real energetic or powerful. Polar opposite to the intense nor'easters of the previous 2 winters.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bookend type monster in mid/late March or April. I say mid march or later b/c the pattern continues to look like garbage in the coming 3 weeks with no high latitude blocking and a north pacific favoring the Western US.

Some of the places up there have had essentially NO precip this month. KORH is at like 0.23" so far. Just crazy.

I heard they started budding a couple weeks ago at least. Not surprising as almost all the trees around here are budding as well. Assuming no major arctic outbreaks going forward (let's say sustained temps below 25F), I imagine the beginnings of the leaf-out can't be too far away. Sometime in mid March at this point. In the city we didn't go totally bare until after Christmas, so that's just 2.5 months of bare trees. Those are deep south type stats there.

Yeah I know. I for one enjoy our usual 6 months of bare landscape/trees and find the late leaf-drops/early leaf out to be depressing (of course contrary to the majority of the population). If we have this pattern fast-forward a month from now, we'll be looking at day after day of 60-65F.

I thought March 2010 would be the earliest leaf out I ever saw; hopefully I'm not proven wrong this spring.

Yeah I know. I for one enjoy our usual 6 months of bare landscape/trees and find the late leaf-drops/early leaf out to be depressing (of course contrary to the majority of the population). If we have this pattern fast-forward a month from now, we'll be looking at day after day of 60-65F.

I thought March 2010 would be the earliest leaf out I ever saw; hopefully I'm not proven wrong this spring.

The March 2010 leaf out was just crazy though (I was in Philly at the time) because we went from basically a polar landscape with 20-30" of snow on the ground through late Feb to absolute unmitigated blowtorch in March. The transition and the speed with which the trees etc responded were incredible.

Since there's no snow coming up, at least the late week looks interesting in terms of warmth... Wednesday and/or Thursday look like solid mid-upper 50s with the storm track to the north, and Friday could be even warmer depending on the storm track... the 0z ECM and the CMC showed 60+ degrees on Friday and even the typically colder GFS is close to 60 degrees. As long as there's no significant changes, IMO we could reach 60 degrees at least once by the end of the week.

Since there's no snow coming up, at least the late week looks interesting in terms of warmth... Wednesday and/or Thursday look like solid mid-upper 50s with the storm track to the north, and Friday could be even warmer depending on the storm track... the 0z ECM and the CMC showed 60+ degrees on Friday and even the typically colder GFS is close to 60 degrees. As long as there's no significant changes, IMO we could reach 60 degrees at least once by the end of the week.

Who cares; we've been 50-60 countless times this winter - tracking the "first 60" is no fun this winter.

Who cares; we've been 50-60 countless times this winter - tracking the "first 60" is no fun this winter.

That's true, although half a month passed since the last very warm day and we're slowly getting closer to spring where 60+ degrees become more frequent. By now I'm just hoping it'll finally be spring already, at this rate it's worth waiting for next winter rather than counting on what is left of this winter to actually produce a big snowstorm.

Yeah even w/ all the severe blocking, there just wasn't any cold air in Canada. We were dealing with -10c to 0c 850mb air most of the time.

Just goes to show that in Dec-Feb, we don't really need that type of cold air. We just need actual events that produce precip. Hasn't been happening this month.

Archived