joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm convinced the only way we get a good snowstorm this year is with a sneak attack type of event. Something that looks putrid and then 24 hours before we get a last minute trend of the models and get a nice surprise event.

There is a nice ridge rolling east on practically all models and all ensembles but with a +nao and other negative factors, once again we need a perfectly timed shortwave to round the base.

I do. It makes for a GREAT Striped bass fishing season, as it keeps the water temperatures low and the fish stay around longer, instead of migrating north for cooler waters.

2009 was a FABULOUS striped bass season.

So please give me a summer just like that.

Thanks.

Hey! Come visit!

- Atlantic Canada

Well in summer I've read that a -NAO can promote a torch.

Yeah it depends on the situtation, pattern in place, etc, but -NAO's have a tendency to torch particularly in mid/late summer when the mid latitude jet continues its progression poleward, and the Greenland block essentially "hooks up" with the SE ridge, forming a large zone of above normal heights from the Eastern US downstream to the north atlantic.

There is a nice ridge rolling east on practically all models and all ensembles but with a +nao and other negative factors, once again we need a perfectly timed shortwave to round the base.

Only thing that makes a storm more possible is wavelengths are beginning to shorten up as we get into March, and you can have a synoptic where there's a trough on the West Coast, trough in the East with a low closing off. This a long shot but this pattern in March is probably slightly more favorable than January due to wavelengths alone.

Archived