Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...this 'high wind warning' so far is under-performing..yeah..its a little gusty, but

no 50-60 mph gusts..

One of the buoys had a gust of 54 at 1030am, and JFK had a gust to 49. But yea, nothing crazy. Top non-buoy gust I'm seeing in the area is 54 in Nassau County, but it was measured by the Coast Guard (2 mi E of Point Lookout) so I'm guessing that is over water too.

One of the buoys had a gust of 54 at 1030am, and JFK had a gust to 49. But yea, nothing crazy. Top non-buoy gust I'm seeing in the area is 54 in Nassau County, but it was measured by the Coast Guard (2 mi E of Point Lookout) so I'm guessing that is over water too.

Winds really picking up right now

Unfortunately true for us NYC folks the best bet for accumulating snow in these type situations are the zones north and west of the city. But, its too early to throw in the towel. We could get some snow by mid week to accumulate on the grass and car tops again.

Amazing difference from the past couple winters -- digging through 5 ft drifts of snow and now falling to our knees in prayer for a car top slushy coating.

The average for NYC is around 26 inches. Central Park is at 7.1.

Central Park is actually at 7.4".

The average for NYC probably ranges from 24" along the South Shores of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island to 32" along the Bronx / Westchester line.

Aren't we actually closer to average (snowfall wise) than the past 2 years?

In terms of how many actual inches Central Park is below normal versus how many inches it was above normal last year; yes, they are closer to normal this year. However, in terms of percentage, snowfall in Central Park is around 35% of normal to date this year....last year, it was over 200% of normal for the season .

Seems like Upton is pretty confident for this neck of the woods...

Wednesday: Snow, mainly after 10am. High near 34. Calm wind becoming east between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Wednesday Night: Snow before 9pm, then snow and sleet between 9pm and midnight, then snow likely after midnight. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Archived