Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS wants to do this again on Wed, but with heavier rain. Will it verify?

My guess is we'll get a quicker secondary transfer due to the sfc ridge but most likely not far enough south to yield frozen pcpn for NYC SW. New England, particularly central and northern New England, will do well with this storm IMO.

GFS wants to do this again on Wed, but with heavier rain. Will it verify?

It makes sense to me given the pattern that the snow would stay to the north of NYC, but given the GFS' and the other models' not so good medium range performane, I'd easily say that the current solution shown on the GFS will not be the final one.

Thanks for the OBS; interesting how Hartsdale is barely 10 miles or so to my ENE while I had no accumulation here. Temperatures are still in the mid 30s inland so although I would assume it's a wet snow, hopefully whatever is there in Rockland or Orange counties doesn't melt too quickly by early this afternoon.

Up here we still have most of the snow that has fallen ( close to 3") Temp has been holding around 33.

Seasonal Snowfall On 2/24/2012 AKA

Sikorsky Kicking Ass and Taking Names

Bridgeport: 13.6"

Newark: 8.8"

Central Park: 7.4"

LaGuardia: 5.1"

Islip: 4.7"

JFK: 3.7"

William - does that include October in the total? Sorry if that's been asked before but I am not far from there and I was wondering. Thanks.

William - does that include October in the total? Sorry if that's been asked before but I am not far from there and I was wondering. Thanks.

Si.

<That's 3 years of high school Spanish>

With this historically warm winter, I believe Central Park has set only one record high (a tie at that) this winter.

Understandable when you have 142 years of records....

Just brutal...hands down my worse winter....07-08 does not even compare....but I think the worse is over.....time for spring..

Just brutal...hands down my worse winter....07-08 does not even compare....but I think the worse is over.....time for spring..

In 2007-08, Port Jeff had a couple of lucky events and my seasonal snowfall was 15.1". As of today, I've measured just 5.5" on the 2011-12 season.

In 2007-08, Port Jeff had a couple of lucky events and my seasonal snowfall was 15.1". As of today, I've measured just 5.5" on the 2011-12 season.

Oh, and in the 18 years I have lived here....this has been a fairly lucky spot, snow wise...in the close calls, an inordinate number of them would be mainly snow...no such luck this year as evinced by the 5.5" of snow on the season in Port Jeff versus the 13.6" of snow just 15 miles across the Sound In Bridgeport.

Have to admit I was 1000% wrong when I lol'd NEG NAO's post predicting less than one inch of snow in Central Park in February...but it just seemed like a really long shot prediction from a climatological standpoint...

Its a safe bet for March as well.

Given this year in general and the pattern over the last 6 Marchs (all bad snow wise, save for 2009...which was good only because of the big storm on the first two days of the month)...you might be right...

<Secretly hoping he is wrong, though>

Si.

<That's 3 years of high school Spanish>

That's 3 more years than I had. But I got it. :)

I'm about 15 miles north of BDR (and at 525') and I am at 24.5." That includes 9" in Oct and also 9" on 1/21 when I was under a band that I don't think hit the coast as hard. A couple of extra inches out of the smaller events like last night and the numbers make sense.

That's 3 more years than I had. But I got it. :)

I'm about 15 miles north of BDR (and at 525') and I am at 24.5." That includes 9" in Oct and also 9" on 1/21 when I was under a band that I don't think hit the coast as hard. A couple of extra inches out of the smaller events like last night and the numbers make sense.

I had zip in October; 4.7" on 1/21, and 0.8" scattered throughout the rest of the "winter".....

Have to admit I was 1000% wrong when I lol'd NEG NAO's post predicting less than one inch of snow in Central Park in February...but it just seemed like a really long shot prediction from a climatological standpoint...

Yes but I blew it starting the 2/29 - 3/1 Potential Winter Storm thread- Guess me and Bastardi will be wrong again - models have fooled everyone this winter

Archived