e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great...our best fantasy model entering a "great" pattern gives us almost zero snow over a 16 day period

We all know even if it showed alot of snow, unless it was within 3 or 4 days from now we would all be saying oh its the GFS it is in fantasyland. I know it is frustrating but we will get more snow this winter just be patient. Watch the Euro in an hour and a half give us a nice snowstorm.

great...our best fantasy model entering a "great" pattern gives us almost zero snow over a 16 day period

That's probably a good thing considering its suppression bias in the long range and its lack of ability to recognize any small shortwaves.

It has the frequent appearance of a 50/50 feature in the long range which is good and larger scale feature...hope it sticks. A potent shortwave 75/75 miles will never be seen on the coarse LR GFS.

That's probably a good thing considering its suppression bias in the long range and its lack of able to recognize any small shortwaves.

It has the frequent appearance of a 50/50 feature in the long range which is good and larger scale feature...hope it sticks. A potent shortwave 75/75 miles will never be seen on the coarse LR GFS.

A much smarter guy explaining it alot better than i ever could. Thanks Will.

That's probably a good thing considering its suppression bias in the long range and its lack of able to recognize any small shortwaves.

yes...I was kind of being facetious....I do worry though about this pattern not yielding much....fortunately our expectations are low...I think we'd all be happy with a 2" event at this point

yes...I was kind of being facetious....I do worry though about this pattern not yielding much....fortunately our expectations are low...I think we'd all be happy with a 2" event at this point

I am not BB, but fear not we will get a 4" event this winter. At least up in Baltimore we will.

Being a Nina is always a worry because without a STJ its always an uphill battle there...but you have two potential cards up the sleeve to try and outperform typical Nina in February....aside from this anomalous Feb Nina pattern developing in the first place:

1. The amplitude of the western ridge...it gets so amped up that you could easily see some northern stream energy diuve a vortmax south of DC...even if its in the form of a 2/5/07 type clipper.

2. Pattern the west becomes split flow later in the period which is very important since it might allow several shortwaves to undercut the huge ridge still present in NW Canada at this time....eventually the whole thing will break down, but it breaks down from the bottom-up...which is nice...because that may allow for a solid week period (or even longer) of southern stream pacific shortwaves to undercut the big NW Canada ridge and that would obviously mean snow chances since cold air is still available...obviously nuances like 50/50 low and NAO will play a part, but that simple fact that the southern stream in that setup might simulate an El Nino STJ is a good thing.

The trough does look to retrograde a bit during this time which opens up the possibility of a larger scale system on the east coast....hopefully that happens. Still a long ways to go though. As you said, it could easily fail. Its not easy in bad winters to cash in....but I think there will certainly be a chance. You were down 20 in the 2nd quarter...but you will have a possession or two in the final minute to try and hit a 3 pointer to tie.

As far as the Saturday Night deal, The EC ensembles still have a low, but it's a massive 1018mb contour, meaning it's weak and there must be a lot of spread between the members...likely owing to whether or not it even happens. Probably some members looking like the euro op. If you take it verbatim, it does seem like it would give you some overrunning mixed precip. I'm sure it will change again, but that's what it shows. That big ridge folding over into western Canada seems to be the issue on this run, and it may very well get squashed.

As far as the longer range, I think it's been broken down pretty well by Will and we touched on this in our forum. The trough retros and heights lower out west a bit, giving the chance of a s/w or two getting ejected out of the southwest, potentially. At the same time, ridging tries to punch into Greenland, so you may have some confluence over eastern Quebec. Whether anything happens, it's just too early to say right now, but some of the larger key players are there in some form, so that's about all you can say.

Talking about the cutoff - something weird happens between hours 54-60 on the 12Z NAM. At hr54 the only low over the CONUS is a 1021 "low" over central texas... Then at hr 60, it completely disappears, turns into a double-1025 high, and a new low pops up over Colorado - or is that the Texas low somehow retrogressing northwestward?

12znam850mbTSLPp06054.gif

12znam850mbTSLPp06060.gif

Archived