Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT from Facebook :

"‎** COMMENTS ON 12Z MONDAY GFS --- REGARDING FEB 19-20 ** Ignore this run of the GFS ..it has huge error in it that Just forces the model to go off the reservation into idiot land"

any truth to this....

dt's melting down like everyone else. i mean i'd love to believe we're about to kick both this years and nina trends overall in the butt but that's pretty hard to stomach at face value.

dt's melting down like everyone else. i mean i'd love to believe we're about to kick both this years and nina trends overall in the butt but that's pretty hard to stomach at face value.

Pretty standard tactic to just flat out punt a run when it doesn't show what you want and have been harping on a storm for as long as he has been

Pretty standard tactic to just flat out punt a run when it doesn't show what you want and have been harping on a storm for as long as he has been

Agreed. You just can't toss out a model because it doesn't show what you want.

Where's dtk when we need him in here. He could likely come up with a very plausible reason why the GFS has the solution it has.

Agreed. You just can't toss out a model because it doesn't show what you want.

Where's dtk when we need him in here. He could likely come up with a very plausible reason why the GFS has the solution it has.

as said, typical DT...models don't "misplaced" areas of low pressure...NWP models are dynamic systems which provide a solution to a set of equations...every shortwave, every area of low pressure is tied to those physical equations...

this idea, "given the 500 mb pattern, the model should have the low pressure 150 miles NW" is straight from idiot land

Considering the time range it is pretty likely the GFS is full of crap. Doesn't mean it will give us snow later, though.

the models have been pretty good at not giving us snow when it doesnt end up snowing. it might be too strung out... tho the euro isnt on board so there's not much reason to be that excited.

I don't see anything wrong with GFS

Other than the fact that it doesn't show what people want.

I looked at it this way. At least it has precip here when there was none before. Unless you live in Raleigh, Richmond, or Norfolk, the 6z gfs runs wasn't anything to get excited about.

Doesn't matter either way. Lots of different solutions will come out before one that actually gets it right.

Looking at the 500's there are still some improvements needed. Not an expert but it seems the problem is that the conflunce ahead of the trough is dampening it out. It does show the 50/50 low in a better spot and a little weaker which I would think will help with that issue. Roughly 6 days away so I am sure there will be many changes but at least it seems that the models are trending in a positive direction.

This far out, I would not the modelling to be any different with the 50/50. If you recall both storms back in 2009/2010 started out on the models with a strong vortex that dampened out the storm to our south. As time went on the 50/50 verified too strong/too far south as initially modeled and both events came up the coast more.

The bugger in this setup is going to be the southern and northern brach timing their phase perfectly.. if the southern closed low is late or delayed with it's exit - game over.

I think this puts it all in perspective.

http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

Look at how fast the flow is and all moving parts. It's possible that the ns and ss can link up for the weekend but thinking any model is capable of locking in at this range isn't a good idea.

The good news is split flow and vorts zipping along in both streams. Can't get a storm without it. Bad news is no blocking or decent amplification of the flow. It's the proverbial "perfect timing" or "thread the needle" scenario. We'll see I guess but the odds are clearly stacked against us. Haven't had much luck this year so maybe can hit a 16 and draw a 5 against the dealer's 20.

Do any of you follow, "The Skiing Weatherman" reports? It's another read for those of us trying to get all the information we can. Anyway, I think he's pretty good with his general ideas so I'll link his latest discussion. I usually read it every week but I'm a little late with this one (February 9th).

http://www.snocountry.com/index.php/skiing-weatherman/skiing-weatherman/ski-weather-forecast/6169-ski-weather-february-9-2012.html

Archived