joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time is slowly running out. We still have a month and some change. In my area this has basically been a snowless winter. Either we are building towards a big event or at least a couple more smaller events. I have had about 1"in of snow. Making this one of the worst winters since the 97/98 strong El Nino. This years is a La Nina and I know we have had crappy La Ninas before. Still keeping the high hopes but my hopes are slowly running out. Old Man Winter if you hear me, make it "SNOW" please.

Overnight model runs look terrible, BTW.

Terrible? Gotta put the weenie glasses on! 0z and 6z gfs amp up the ridge out west and dig a trough in the east. Sure all the energy passes to the north and it's all northern stream with nothing sliding under the ridge out west but that's ok. Plenty of time for a h5 vort on steriods to dig down and visit RIC on the way off the coast.

Euro hangs energy back in the SW (a known bias) so ridging out in front gets pumped up a bit and the trough doesn't dig along the ec. Remove the sw energy and poof, +pna with snow threats. See? Not that bad unless you're a met or a realist of which I am neither.

Terrible? Gotta put the weenie glasses on! 0z and 6z gfs amp up the ridge out west and dig a trough in the east. Sure all the energy passes to the north and it's all northern stream with nothing sliding under the ridge out west but that's ok. Plenty of time for a h5 vort on steriods to dig down and visit RIC on the way off the coast.

Euro hangs energy back in the SW (a known bias) so ridging out in front gets pumped up a bit and the trough doesn't dig along the ec. Remove the sw energy and poof, +pna with snow threats. See? Not that bad unless you're a met or a realist of which I am neither.

:lol: Well, I neglected to mention the Super Bowl weekend Miller B that the 6z GFS shows might give us 1-3".

I think the Ravens loss sucked all the optimism out of me :cry:

Intense (if unlikely and peculiar) cutter on 12zGFS hr228...

(Hey, what else is there to talk about....?)

That's not a cutter at all. It's a clipper that Miller B's on the NE coast. 6z had the same thing at the same time, FWIW (not much). More interesting is the depiction from 160-180hrs, when the GFS does something with a southern stream s/w very much like it was advertising with the southern stream s/w that's out there (partially phasing...) right now. Marginal cold air and the storm doesn't quite get to us. But anytime you've got a vortmax passing to your south in the climo wheelhouse, it's work keeping an eye on.

Edit..Replace "marginal cold air" in the last sentence to "nonexistant cold air".

That's not a cutter at all. It's a clipper that Miller B's on the NE coast. 6z had the same thing at the same time, FWIW (not much).

Just for giggles I checked out 850's and precip for that system. It does spit out some precip in our parts and the 850's are plenty cold. Both of which are highly questionable but doesn't matter because it's in fantasyland and we all know what happens when the 850 low tracks to our north before jumping.

One thing I have learned from staring at models that last 5 years is that precip on Miller B's is almost always modeled too far S&E and not far enough N&W with miller A's.

This time frame is of interest because there have been many variations of troughing in our parts. Heck, there was arctic air overhead in the lr on the gfs a few days ago. Give us a +pna and trough in these parts first and everything else can work itself out (for better or for worse).

The 240 hour euro actually has the type of pattern that would give us a chance,,,,to bad it's at 240 hours but it's an interesting look.

yeah....I noticed after day 7,the euro gets better....the day 8 threat isn't promising, but it may be a period to watch....I knew you'd like the setup at day 10 with the trough over the maritimes....

yeah....I noticed after day 7,the euro gets better....the day 8 threat isn't promising, but it may be a period to watch....I knew you'd like the setup at day 10 with the trough over the maritimes....

Today's CWG piece that wil run originally mentioned the spiking of the PNA ridge as a time to watch but I think after seeing the GFS I got discouraged and took it out or at least tempered the statement. Too bad the threat is on day 10 and not day 4. It's bound to look different on the next run.

Today's CWG piece that wil run originally mentioned the spiking of the PNA ridge as a time to watch but I think after seeing the GFS I got discouraged and took it out or at least tempered the statement. Too bad the threat is on day 10 and not day 4. It's bound to look different on the next run.

the models were disastrous last night...hopefully they keep improving....

It's looking like we'll see some sort of system next Thu/Fri, whether it be a cutter or a coastal. Latest GFS and Euro Ops show rain, but there is a lot of stuff going on... a number of possible outcomes still remain.

Are you talking about the low off tbe coast with the 850 line still west of us??? I dont know what hour the system it is. It doesnt look like a cutter but I maybe wrong.

Are you talking about the low off tbe coast with the 850 line still west of us??? I dont know what hour the system it is. It doesnt look like a cutter but I maybe wrong.

It develops over the southern Plains and the Southeast Wednesday and Thursday and makes its way up to us later on Thursday into Friday.

I'm kinda diggin the fact that both the euro and gfs look basically the same in a week. It's looking likely that we do get a decent +pna next week. Low pressure and precip can all work itself out. I'm not really paying much attention to that at this point. I'm all in for the Fri-Sun period next week but that aint sayin much.

Archived