12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good two thirds of the GFS ens show a storm in a week. 7 are coastals of differing variety.

Long way to go. 6 days ago, about two thirds of the same ens. showed a storm for today.

they were pretty close..

I see in the mos that it shows some cold precip day 7. It also took away our flurries Tomoorow night

this is the good and bad of the euro....the bad it is has no storm because it has an ull spinning in place for 5 days.....

the"good" is it still has the insane +PNA, but also has a -NAO......but can we take the run seriously?....i dont know...I dont think it is worth too much after day 5-7, but most runs are probably that way

this is the good and bad of the euro....the bad it is has no storm because it has an ull spinning in place for 5 days.....

the"good" is it still has the insane +PNA, but also has a -NAO......but can we take the run seriously?....i dont know...I dont think it is worth too much after day 5-7, but most runs are probably that way

it isnt like we have a deep trough and lots of cold air...everthing is still bottled up north.....

post-66-0-95146600-1327777269.gif

They were all over the place. A few were rain to snow.. a few snow... one was a transfer storm from OH/KY/WVA area to the NC coast

i wouldnt put any more stock in the ensembles than the op in this range. pattern's getting better is all that really matters for now.

Thanks man. I know there are a lot of people on here who want to know the "whys" to the global teleconnection state and pattern. This type of post needs to be supplemented with graphics because a lot of this jargon / technical talk is not as complicated as it first appears to be. Seeing it on every day weather maps playing out is the only way to understand it and reading the papers while taking observations.

Just a word of warning...for all of you who don't remember...last year at this time when the AAM state was changing etc. it lead to a significant model forecast degradation during that period (late Jan-early Feb). I suspect this is likely again, so expect, at the very least, wild shifts in timing in the day 2-5 period.

Pretty good call.

Post from CoastalWx.

Not to ride the MJO all the time, but a nice steady progression on the charts. This may be the wave the could "break" the back of this Nina and start the drive to El Nino. I feel like we are already seeing the atmosphere display some signs of this...and not necessarily based on this pattern coming up. I also think the high altitude tropospheric temps in the tropical regions may be cooling due to some of the stratosphere warming over the North Pole. This will help sustain a wave as it moves east. Colder temps aloft mean the ability to sustain convection. Recall last May when we had a big warming..we had a big time MJO wave move east, partly due to high instability over the tropics, thanks to colder temps aloft.

DT on this afternoon Euro ensembles. His words, not mine.

12z Euro Ensembles does NOT support operational solution of the BIG cutoff low over the Lower/Central Plains. It has some sort of Low trying to move the NC VA coast Feb 6-7 but not a BUG event The 11-15 day Euro Ensembles is bullish for cold and for the FIRST time, the Euro Ensembles are splitting the huge PV north of Alaska into two pieces, and one of those pieces DOES slide into Eastern Canada.

It would seem to me that this low must be a strong low to actually move the coast of NC and VA and cold air should not be a problem since it is NOT a bug event. :wacko:

yeah the ens mean basically washes out the feature into nothingness and shoots it east

Does it take the coast with it? ;)

Will and Scott are saying in the NE forum the ensembles are really trying to build a -NAO this run. I also read on DT's page that LC was really impressed with what they showed this afternoon in regards to cold and storminess in the long range.

Does it take the coast with it? ;)

Will and Scott are saying in the NE forum the ensembles are really trying to build a -NAO this run. I also read on DT's page that LC was really impressed with what they showed this afternoon in regards to cold and storminess in the long range.

I don't think we used words that strong. All we said, was that they were trying to build more of a -NAO ridge. By that, we mean that the ensembles were poking Greenland with a ridge, from the east. It could disappear on the 00z run, but this run was a bit more bullish...and it seems like the last few runs have tried to hint at that.

Archived