joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro - the day 8/9 threat may have some potential......the details aren't important now....I think cold air will be an issue....and a primary in the Ohio Valley.....I would say it is something to pay attention to though my WAG is it will be too warm....lots of time though

It looks good.. Its nice to see that very strong high pressure (1040mb) showing up filtering the trough with fresh cold air. If that trough gets its act together and it goes negative a bit sooner, hopefully we can all cash in

There is a great site that actually shows each matching event's 500's, total snowfall, rainfall, etc... It also does analogs for 3 or 4 different time periods (3, 5, 7, 10 days out????) out. My computer is in the shop right now so don't have access to it. You or anyone else wouldn't by chance be aware of what site I am talking about and the link to it?

06Z GFS has an interesting solution for the potential event for late next week. Has a lead low that would bring snow to the area and then cuts off the 500's in the deep south and then brings it up the coast shortly thereafter. Temps look like they would be an issue though except for possibly under the 500 low.

Long range still looks good and has a very cold look towards the end of the run.

What's your point? Please post comments, not just maps...

Sorry, I was just impressed by the placement and strength of the High. Can't get much better for a CAD event. Of course the later panels put the 850 mb low over chicago, so it all goes to crap in the later panels. Probably another snow/ice/rain event.

Sorry, I was just impressed by the placement and strength of the High. Can't get much better for a CAD event. Of course the later panels put the 850 mb low over chicago, so it all goes to crap in the later panels. Probably another snow/ice/rain event.

If the low goes far enough west it might not break the CAD. Caveat is I have only seen the panel you posted here.

If the low goes far enough west it might not break the CAD. Caveat is I have only seen the panel you posted here.

When I was looking at those frames from about 162 to 192 I kept thinking that what it showed screamed ice storm. We all know that there's very little potential for it to be correct this far out. The positive is that it shows something and a pattern swinging toward better. It could end up being a lot of things at this point.

I posted in the wrong thread earlier but I do agree that this is evolving into something that probably deserves some attention. It hurts not having a block in place because if we did, that second low wouldn't take a lakes track. It's closing off pretty far west though as modeled. It would be tough to get it to track south of us anyway. Nice cad sig with the first wave also. Could be something there as well.

Ian made a good point too. If the second low cuts far enough west it wouldn't destroy temps through our column. We can get snow with a track like that and a nicely placed hp to the n&w.

It could be a fun week. Anytime there is a big strong area of hp like that to the north and lp breaking out along the gulf coast it usually ends up with some sort of wintry precip around here.

There is a great site that actually shows each matching event's 500's, total snowfall, rainfall, etc... It also does analogs for 3 or 4 different time periods (3, 5, 7, 10 days out????) out. My computer is in the shop right now so don't have access to it. You or anyone else wouldn't by chance be aware of what site I am talking about and the link to it?

Are you referring to this link?

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/COLD/analog.php

MDstorm

next Friday night could be fun if the ensemble is even close... whos doing the Euro pbp?

...Euro splits into two events - a Thursday light precip event, followed by a warm up... Fri AM there's a closed low south of Texas, which.... (waiting on hr 168)...

Archived