• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

This. For any evidence needed, just reference their forecasts for tomorrow 7 days ago.

SNOstorm returns

at least we're not SNE.. they're already talking up some day 7 storm like it's going to happen for sure

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute pants tent of a Euro EC run. Good lord.

The euro ensembles first start out with a massive ridge from the Baja to the North Pole practically.They also have the trough axis overhead, which means more favorable for clippers or redevelopers. However, as the run goes out in time...the trough retros a bit and the axis is west of us. At the same time, heights lower a bit across CA, but big ridge spike remains over NW Canada and into AK. It's actually a bit stronger on this run. The ridge is good because it supplies cold, and lower heights across CA can be good because it may send disturbances across the south...then you have the nrn stream to play with too.

As usual, have to throw out the obligatory "It's the 11-15 day ensembles", but pretty good signals for some potential.

The euro ens mean looks chilly chilly beyond 168hr but pretty dry at least thru day 10. It's pattern looks less nice than last night's. Still day 10 ens means or any other forecast is not going to be very skillful so we can at least put a little hope in the PNA spike.

I don't know Wes. With what Scott describes above, i'll take it and run.

I don't know Wes. With what Scott describes above, i'll take it and run.

I only see stuff through day 10 so I can't comment beyond that time. Certainly what scott describes would be a good thing but ti is beyond day 10 which is a pretty big caveat emptor. One good thing is the movement of the mjo which suggests that the pna spike will probably be real. Feb 5-11 or 12 still looks like it is the window.

Well don't forget, I was posting in our general region, so what might look good for us, may not necessarily be great for you guys. The EC ensembles seemed to have a lot of spread and question marks near that potential storm late next week. They had a trough extending into SNE with no real, good, concise low pressure...meaning that there might be some spread and uncertainty about what if any low forms. I'm not too surprised by that, we told some folks in our thread not to get excited about it.

Post d10:

Wes, I thought at first the pattern was very nrn stream dominant. You had a ridge that basically extends from the desert sw into the NW Territories at the beginning of the period. The trough axis is pretty far east, actually over New England, hence why it may be more conducive to clippers or redevelopers. The NAO is still positive imo, and the Caspian ridge tries to nose in from the northeast, into Greenland.

By hr 300 the trough axis retrogrades west and is over the latitude of the eastern Great Lakes region..maybe near 80W, we'll say. We see some ridging into northeast Greenland..possible part of the Caspian ridge, but I wouldn't really classify this as a -NAO. Out west, the ridge still holds strong, but now we see heights lower just a bit across California. Seems like it tries to get split flow going near the Baja of California. Still very nrn stream dominant with the flow coming out of the Canadian Plains, but at least the trough axis retrogrades just a bit and with heights trying to lower,....you can always get disturbances trying to move across the south.

By hr 360, the trough axis backs up a bit more, and the ridging into northeast Greenland is a bit more pronounced, but again..I struggle to call it a classic -NAO. The ridging out west flattens out, but it does look like we have split flow over the southwest with subtle troughing. The ridging still holds pretty strong across NW Canada, despite how far out it is on the ensembles means. SO potentially, you could have enough meridional flow providing cold and possible nrn stream s/w's and then hope something comes along from whatever happens across the southwest.

Of course, this is what the 11-15 day shows, so take it FWIW. I know you guys need a more classic -NAO and the nrn stream can screw you guys, but perhaps if the flow is as meridional as models show..you can get something to cook up. I still feel like I have the "believe it when I see it" but it's nice to see guidance and tropical forcing trying to hint at this.

The period from around Feb 4 or 5 until the end of the GFS run looks interesting. This is evolving into a pretty good pattern. Wish I had waited another day before putting out the CWG forecast.

Lol..what if u wrote piece today and tommirow Gfs flipped

Yep, when a weenie says day 10 looks interesting, meh, but when Wes starts to say those sorts of things, it's time to pay attention.

It is hard to ignore the +PNA being advertised by the models. In some cases it is monstrous. Plus it is favorable climo. Plus the MJO is entering phase 7. Plus the Atlantic wont be hostile and may even be helpful.

On the analog charts from the CPC, are there any storms of interest showing up for the Mid Atlantic yet? I saw early Feb 1996 showing up and Feb 2006...

these cpc analog charts that you speak of ....are they available to the public ... if so does anyone have the site. Is it like the C I P S where it just gives you analog days or more climate geared giving you analog months or something of the like ? What parameters does it use for analogs? Enso, Tele connections, m j o, gw o, etc. Thanks for any info!

these cpc analog charts that you speak of ....are they available to the public ... if so does anyone have the site. Is it like the C I P S where it just gives you analog days or more climate geared giving you analog months or something of the like ? Thanks for any info!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/analog.php

Just uttering the terms snowpocalypse or snowmageddon should be grounds for immediate banning.

Dumbest, lamest names ever given to anything.

Naming winter storms is ridiculous any way it's cut. Unfortunately social media and needing to include the public will ensure it continues.

Archived