joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10-11 timeframe has a very nice look. -NAO, -EPO, +PNA, troughing near NF, signs of split flow. But as they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I think the GFS is on "fool me for the 173rd time" :(

BBs call will come true, don't worry.

Day 10-11 timeframe has a very nice look. -NAO, -EPO, +PNA, troughing near NF, signs of split flow. But as they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I think the GFS is on "fool me for the 173rd time" :(

Won't be long until these "day 10 looks great" posts are referring to mid-March and we can all finally give up.

But it does have company. This is the 1st time this year where I've been interested at this time range. This is not quite the same deal as we've had. Still might lead to nothing but the pattern is the best we've seen on a forecast.

Won't be long until these "day 10 looks great" posts are referring to mid-March and we can all finally give up.

hopefully sooner than later.. winter starts to get lame around this time every year even if feb can be good.

But it does have company. This is the 1st time this year where I've been interested at this time range. This is not quite the same deal as we've had. Still might lead to nothing but the pattern is the best we've seen on a forecast.

Wes, its a good sign when you are being interested in an event time frame.

I think they'll keep trying up until mid April in the NYC forum. They are getting excited about Day 10/11 stuff on the GFS, speaking in what amounts to near certainty that a storm will occur.

Wes, its a good sign when you are being interested in an event time frame.

I'm not interesting in an event as the models will have no skill at that time range. I'm more interested in the pattern that will be setting up that will probably give us a couple shots at getting shortwaves in the right place. Whether that happens or not still is up in the air but at least the forecast pattern is a decent one for a change.

I'm not interesting in an event as the models will have no skill at that time range. I'm more interested in the pattern that will be setting up that will probably give us a couple shots at getting shortwaves in the right place. Whether that happens or not still is up in the air but at least the forecast pattern is a decent one for a change.

You see things that I can't see, but, I've always liked the pattern (judged only by 850/surface quick glance) shown on the GFS around the 300+ time frame. Small events, but reliable. Any thoughts?

hopefully sooner than later.. winter starts to get lame around this time every year even if feb can be good.

Man, you normally at least wait until a week before your vacations to become anti-snow. A full month in advance this time. :( And yeah, Feb is lame. I wish we had just torched in February '10 because snow in February sucks, regardless of the amount. And PDS2 too...lame.

;):P

You see things that I can't see, but, I've always liked the pattern (judged only by 850/surface quick glance) shown on the GFS around the 300+ time frame. Small events, but reliable. Any thoughts?

By 192 hours we have a negative NAO and positive PNA pattern, that's a cobo we haven't seen yet this year. The models are also forecasting a low just east or northeast of Nova Scotia to the south of the building heights over greenland. That's another plus, whether the models are correct is still up in the air. that's still beyond the time range when there is much skill. However the 5 day centered mean also would have a pretty decent look which is a little more predictable.

Man, you normally at least wait until a week before your vacations to become anti-snow. A full month in advance this time. :( And yeah, Feb is lame. I wish we had just torched in February '10 because snow in February sucks, regardless of the amount. And PDS2 too...lame.

;):P

i know we get good snow in feb but by late jan winter wears on me. granted this one hasnt been too bad. i like light and life... sorry. i do hope it snows while it still can tho. i'll not make any more similar comments in this thread i know they bother people.

i know we get good snow in feb but by late jan winter wears on me. granted this one hasnt been too bad. i like light and life... sorry. i do hope it snows while it still can tho. i'll not make any more similar comments in this thread i know they bother people.

I was just messing with you man, I understood. exactly what you meant. I guess my wink and tongue smilies at the end didn't help convey exactly what I wanted, lol.

I start to root for warmth/spring by astronomical Spring, maybe a week later when any snow is usually just white rain (unless the snow prospects look terrible in early March, then obviously sooner). I enjoy light and the other aspects of the warm season as well, but we only have 3.5 months a year to get snow, so I want as much as possible during that time. I'm not one who would want to live in Maine or Alaska or even SNE -it would get pretty depressing, heh...give me the 4 distinct seasons of the MA.

1. Wxrisk.com
    WHO IS BS-ing WHOM? here is the DAY 10 EURO ENSEMBLE 500 MB... JB and his fanatical followers clowns can say that "ALL the model are in agreement" .. or "ALL the Models bring PV from N of alaska south into central eastern "Canada ... but as you can see this is plain old Bull****
    http://1664596.sites.myregisteredsite.com/meteorology/INFOCUS/00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNH240.gif

I can't put together what the euro does between 144 and 168 @ 850. Is it a miller B scenario? 850 track from tx panhandle to the ar/tn border and then off the nj coast. Does the primary drive into oh valley before jumping?

this will help but won't make you feel any better as to the result

freebies off the Euro site are the 12hr increments for 5H and 850 temps

here's 156 hr link

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mid_tropospheric_flow_and_boundary_layer_temperature!156!North%20America!z500_t850!pop!od!oper!w_z500t850!2012012712!!/

Archived