Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... the contrast between the 00z gfs and 006z gfs is good for us... last night's gfs run at 00z Sunday (2/19) had the northern extent of the precip reaching only to the Florida/ Georgia border. This morning's 006z run had the precip into Virginia and it looked like it could have been moderate snow. AND from reading the entries above about last night's euro run, it seems as though the two models are at least getting somewhat closer to an agreement.

Now.. pointing out this difference does little more than simply highlighting the awefull gfs run to run inconsistencies... but hey it is a step in the right direction at least.

The 06Z GFS is starting to show something for this weekend. Shows a 1005 low sliding off the coast of SC and OTS.

Funny we posted at pretty much the same time... but yeah... definitely nice to see the GFS catching on. If both the euro and the gfs show it at 12z... I am jumping on (who I am kidding, I have been on since the euro showed that fantasy a few days back :))

Looking at the 500's there are still some improvements needed. Not an expert but it seems the problem is that the conflunce ahead of the trough is dampening it out. It does show the 50/50 low in a better spot and a little weaker which I would think will help with that issue. Roughly 6 days away so I am sure there will be many changes but at least it seems that the models are trending in a positive direction.

re: the upcoming weekend...I know people like to bag on the models and their inconsistency, and also like to talk about how "close" this run or that run is to something good, but at some point, one has to bow to the fact that the GFS and Euro have been pretty spot on all things considered with the fact that conditions are lousy for significant warning criteria snow this winter - for us and a good chuck of the eastern 1/3 of the country. There has really been a derth of fantasy storms to focus on in those two models, frankly, and they have been pretty good at identifying the unfavorable set-up for such - as Wes is right to point out as he has for months (and others as well).

So, yes, it is 6-7 days out from the potential event, and, yes, still time for things to change (duh), but it would have been nice for the big 2 to do more than hint at a possibility at some point - maybe a run where everything really came together other than a close (or not-so-close) miss. Lacking that, it seems a pretty safe bet that this weekend will look like pretty much all the others have this year when there has been a "threat"...something disorganized and warm that might spit a few flakes but is otherwise a nothing.

One thing that's different here it seems is that the models all at least show something and the Euro and GFS appear to be fairly close. Large Gulf storms are usually modeled a little better than the rest so that tells me there is at least some potential here. Looks like plenty of cold air around no matter what, as well.

One thing that's different here it seems is that the models all at least show something and the Euro and GFS appear to be fairly close. Large Gulf storms are usually modeled a little better than the rest so that tells me there is at least some potential here. Looks like plenty of cold air around no matter what, as well.

that and the fact that many Miller As are modeled early to pass to our south

hence, I like it from a modelology perspective

I sure won't argue against that general statement, but still wouldn't mind the models actually bringing it into our area at some point.

<weenie/> the models are so bad this year we don't want to see them show a storm until the last minute. you add up all the bad and it equals a whole lotta good. snow!!1! </weenie>

Yeah, def on my point Ian. Which is that the models have acutally been pretty damn good this year, all things considered. Despite the "if we could just move the PV 800 miles everything would be fine" type wishing when looking at model runs...

As much as we will still look, the models don't mean a whole lot until later this week....There is no skill at this range, this winter....so we watch it and see....I still like the idea of being pessimistic with expectations and shooting really low no matter what is modeled.....maybe this can be a 2-4" event....maybe nothing.....the northern stream is a mighty force....OTS certainly seems like the trend of a Nina winter and this winter...no model is going to get stream interaction correct at this range

As much as we will still look, the models don't mean a whole lot until later this week....There is no skill at this range, this winter....so we watch it and see....I still like the idea of being pessimistic with expectations and shooting really low no matter what is modeled.....maybe this can be a 2-4" event....maybe nothing.....the northern stream is a mighty force....OTS certainly seems like the trend of a Nina winter and this winter...no model is going to get stream interaction correct at this range

right, but as implied in your statement, at least there's something to track

whether it be into the terlet like so many this year, time will tell

something that "might" help with what's left this season, the NINA looked to be fading this past week on the daily SSTA map on Unysis, and the numbers say it has, with substantial warming across the equatorial PAC

http://www.cpc.ncep....dices/wksst.for

EDIT: echoing my thoughts from earlier in this thread and others recently, the fact that the NINA peaked per those number 2/1 had to hurt us

something that "might" help with what's left this season, the NINA looked to be fading this past week on the daily SSTA map on Unysis, and the numbers say it has, with substantial warming across the equatorial PAC

http://www.cpc.ncep....dices/wksst.for

That's pretty typical with the MJO going into P8. Let's see what happens the next two weeks with the MJO circling back around to the IO/Maritime Continent.

Archived